Author Topic: Operation Bright Eyes - tattle tale utility workers spying on customers  (Read 26225 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Operation Bright Eyes - tattle tale utility workers spying on customers
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2008, 10:40:23 AM »
ummm because they aren't paid informants?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
no i say you impose it upon yourself when you avail yourself of the benefits being part of society offer. you know schools roads grants etc.

So, pray tell, do you think these impositions are unlimited? Or is there after all a limit to what society can do?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »
sure  you can limit your involvement/dependency   of course thats like revolution MUCH  easier talked about than even attempted
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2008, 11:43:54 AM »
sure  you can limit your involvement/dependency   of course thats like revolution MUCH  easier talked about than even attempted

That's now what I asked and you know it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »
I come down on the side of "don't like it at all" just because I'm old enough to know that if you give some people an inch or less they will take much farther than a mile. Some dork who feels inadequate in every other facet of his life will use the "power" he thinks he's got to mess with someone on his customer list for the most piddling of reasons, just so he can feel superior for a moment.

Now that I've got that out of the way, and speaking of that last, I'd like to ask what makes people think it's OK to sh*t on others about the way they make their living?

"cable guy without a sixth grade education" "min-wage employees who couldn't get a job better than 'cable installer'"

I suppose you sneer "McJob!" at the people who make your burger and fries or your taco and burrito, too. Is your own self image so bad that you have to put other people down to make yourself feel better? Whatever they're doing and whatever it pays they're out working and trying to make a living. It's honest work. Leave 'em alone about it.

Save your put-downs for people who deserve it, say...the ones who think they know better what to do with your money than you do.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
Now that I've got that out of the way, and speaking of that last, I'd like to ask what makes people think it's OK to sh*t on others about the way they make their living?

That irked me a bit as well. I used the term "utility worker" only to differentiate these folks from trained LEOs.

Whatever they're doing and whatever it pays they're out working and trying to make a living. It's honest work. Leave 'em alone about it.

My feelings exactly. I could easily make a 6 figure income, but choose to stay where I am as my schedule allows me lots of time with my kiddo. Not everyone is motivated by a fat paycheck and their name on a door.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »

"cable guy without a sixth grade education" "min-wage employees who couldn't get a job better than 'cable installer'"

I suppose you sneer "McJob!" at the people who make your burger and fries or your taco and burrito, too. Is your own self image so bad that you have to put other people down to make yourself feel better? Whatever they're doing and whatever it pays they're out working and trying to make a living. It's honest work. Leave 'em alone about it.

Save your put-downs for people who deserve it, say...the ones who think they know better what to do with your money than you do.

Clue for you. Comcast installers deserve their reputation.

They are not satellite installers or electricians, who tend to be far more skilled. Satellite installers have to know how to aim the dish, gas people are at least efficient, have chirpy phones and know how combustion is meant to work. Comcast installers...I don't know where they get them, but goddamnit, are they STUPID. I mean, in a "How do these people remember to breathe?" blank-eyed sort of stupid. They've burned out countless electrical systems, broken countless walls, hooked up things wrong and had no idea it was their fault, and even blew up a house.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:18:55 PM by Manedwolf »

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2008, 12:19:38 PM »
ummm because they aren't paid informants?

Well, it is made to be part of their job and they are paid for that job... Does it matter where the paycheck is coming from?

I personally have no real problems with the situation as presented.  I doubt there is much on the job encouragement.  Just a few hours of a seminar telling you the proper numbers to call for various things.  I don't think this is much different than the old 'see something, say something' program. 

Are these people given badges or even a direct phoneline different than the general public for reporting?  As I see it, they are just being informed as to proper reporting procedures. And as for the false reporting to get back at jerk customers, well, any indication they won't be held accountable for false reporting?

Anyways, always tip the cable man and offer him a soda.
 :police:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »
And as for the false reporting to get back at jerk customers, well, any indication they won't be held accountable for false reporting?

If it gets you a no-knock raid, does it matter?

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »
Clue for you. Comcast installers deserve their reputation.

They are not satellite installers or electricians, who tend to be far more skilled. Satellite installers have to know how to aim the dish, gas people are at least efficient, have chirpy phones and know how combustion is meant to work. Comcast installers...I don't know where they get them, but goddamnit, are they STUPID. I mean, in a "How do these people remember to breathe?" blank-eyed sort of stupid. They've burned out countless electrical systems, broken countless walls, hooked up things wrong and had no idea it was their fault, and even blew up a house.

Whatever rep a group has, if you treat them like idiots then you'll get what you expect from them, as well as what you deserve. Self-perpetuating, is that.

FWIW, the Comcast guys who installed our TV and Internet last week were polite and professional. So was the guy they sent a few days before who couldn't do the work assigned because the office staff had screwed up the work order.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »
Whatever rep a group has, if you treat them like idiots then you'll get what you expect from them, as well as what you deserve. Self-perpetuating, is that.

FWIW, the Comcast guys who installed our TV and Internet last week were polite and professional. So was the guy they sent a few days before who couldn't do the work assigned because the office staff had screwed up the work order.

Alright, I'll treat them like geniuses when, both times, they swore the new DVR must be "bricked", and they'd have to try again next week, until I just picked up the remote, went through the setting menus, got it to renew DHCP lease and it came right online. Or when they swear that the internet won't work with a Mac, that you have to have a PC for that.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »
wrt making cable guys angry, they can turn off the cable for an entire neighborhood in less then ten minutes.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2008, 12:40:44 PM »
Nothing personal, 'wolf, but what I mean is treat the proven idiots like idiots, they deserve it, just don't lump 'em all in together based on your experience with a few nor on tales from elsewhere.

And while I'm replying:

If it gets you a no-knock raid, does it matter?

Damn good point.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »
Nothing personal, 'wolf, but what I mean is treat the proven idiots like idiots, they deserve it, just don't lump 'em all in together based on your experience with a few nor on tales from elsewhere.

Ditto. Especially the "nothing personal" part.

I did my time in fast food/service sector hell, and remember all too well what it was like.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
This is why threads get locked.  Knock it off.  - mtnbkr
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:47:20 AM by mtnbkr »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2008, 11:40:34 AM »
If I were a service tech, I wouldn't report anything except the most egregious violations of the law . . . something really extreme with a good chance of hurting others, like a bomb factory or meth lab.

For one thing, I wouldn't be getting paid extra to be a snoop for the .gov, would I?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2008, 11:46:30 AM »
Or electricity? Or gas?

You do know that if gas service is interrupted, a gas person has to come in to do the water heater and all, right?

Not here.  When Mike and I replaced my water heater in 2004, I had to have the City send an inspector, but I was still able to light it and have hot water.  Theoretically, I could've not called and nobody would be the wiser.  All he did was eyeball the connection and make sure it was done properly. 

When I replace our gas stove, I didn't even call as it wasn't required.

Or did you mean something more substantial such as the gas being turned off at the meter?

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2008, 11:48:51 AM »
Not here.  When Mike and I replaced my water heater in 2004, I had to have the City send an inspector, but I was still able to light it and have hot water.  Theoretically, I could've not called and nobody would be the wiser.  All he did was eyeball the connection and make sure it was done properly. 

When I replace our gas stove, I didn't even call as it wasn't required.

Or did you mean something more substantial such as the gas being turned off at the meter?

Chris

When gas had to be turned off for a local linebreak near my parents' house, a gas rep knocked on the door of every house and had to either light the pilot on the furnace and water heater, or just check if they were lit that they were lit properly.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2008, 11:51:41 AM »
Directed to the original post:

Instead of debating this issue I figured I would post this link. 

Service Locations

Above you will find a link to the company's service areas, as far as I can tell this program is limited to Bright House networks customers. 

If you support this program and live in the area, put your money where your mouth is and buy a subscription.

If you hate this idea, you only have something worry about if you live in one of the service areas.  For now (cue ominous music).....

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
I will admit that the installers are not among the best and brightest. AS a Head End Tech, I've had to work with them closely, because I was in charge of the Cable system telephony. That mean off the cuff troubleshooting, provisioning, etc. The installers, on the whole, that worked for my company, left a lot to be desired. We had a few that tried real hard or had some talent, etc.

Comcast does have some fairly minimally trained installers & techs and they won't hire seasoned techs. I know that from experience. It took me three months to get a return path cable plant problem resolved. If I had the proper equipment, it would have been resolved within an hour.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »
I will admit that the installers are not among the best and brightest. AS a Head End Tech, I've had to work with them closely, because I was in charge of the Cable system telephony. That mean off the cuff troubleshooting, provisioning, etc. The installers, on the whole, that worked for my company, left a lot to be desired. We had a few that tried real hard or had some talent, etc.

Comcast does have some fairly minimally trained installers & techs and they won't hire seasoned techs. I know that from experience. It took me three months to get a return path cable plant problem resolved. If I had the proper equipment, it would have been resolved within an hour.

Thank you, yes. I had not meant to imply that all cable techs are idiots. It's that the ones Comcast hires are often idiots, because they won't hire and pay skilled ones with experience. That's the company's problem, and a lot of people have had the same experience.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2008, 12:13:08 PM »
Stuff like this makes me glad I have no reason for service people to come in my house. What might they see? Let's see, gun magazines, infant formula, pile of AR parts on the table, internet poker going,  rugrat gleefully playing with AR buffer spring.

Obviously I am cutting heroin with baby formula, running an internet gambling ring, employing child labor to build assault weapons for illegal sale all in an effort to raise funds to overthrow the government.

Or maybe I'm spending a quiet snowy day at home with my kid, relaxing and playing some poker and learning how to put together my AR on AR-15.com. 

Sinister.  :rolleyes:

More people in this world need to mind their own business.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:14 PM »
Thank you, yes. I had not meant to imply that all cable techs are idiots. It's that the ones Comcast hires are often idiots, because they won't hire and pay skilled ones with experience. That's the company's problem, and a lot of people have had the same experience.

I must've got lucky, then, and got the three guys with a clue, or the company operators in my area have a clue and hire good people. I hope it holds up if there're problems in future. Sorry y'all have such nimrods doing it in your area.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »
Is it really a prejudice if the observation/opinion is reinforced  by every contact with one of "THEM?"

Perhaps, perhaps not, but the process sure is producing some ugly, and off topic, posts here.

(Uncle Bubba, Nimrod got a single mention in the bible as being a mighty hunter.)
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 12:47:06 PM »

You forgot to ask him if he wanted fries with that.