Author Topic: Anyone think we should have a 2-3 year mandatory draft for 18y/os?  (Read 13419 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Anyone think we should have a 2-3 year mandatory draft for 18y/os?
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2005, 09:53:48 PM »
Personally, I'm very much in favor of a draft for national service, but not the typical military-only draft.  I think that the draft is a defining experience in a young person's life, and very often can make boys into men, or girls into women - it forces the individual to work with a group, meet those from different social backgrounds, function together, etc.  It's a highly maturing experience.
Heh. I have been in a draftee military force (I left before completing te term of service). Basically, a draft, especially an Israel-pattern draft, where EVERYBODY has to join even if they are not needed (which includes soldiers working as teachers for schoolchildren, clerks, and so forth), is a very bad idea in a free country like America - both because it teaches militaristic discipline and because it inspires values totally alien to a free market system - you work and obey, because otherwise you'll be punished (by more labor) instead of working to get paid. This inspires people to dodge out of responsibility.

I've seen it. BAD.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2005, 09:54:54 PM »
The militia HAS to be completely independant of government control, that is the entire point.
What about tactical command during war?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Viking

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2005, 01:45:53 AM »
I'm opposed to this, both because of the whole thing of forcing people into service (slavery), and because the system would be watered out sooner or later, like it is here in Sweden. One guy from my school had just about all the things they were looking for, bright guy, very athletic, still he didn't have to do his "mandatory" military service. Swedish Armed Forces are cutting down, firing people and bringing in less and less conscrips every year now...I called the Gov agency responsible for putting the conscripts where they will suit best, and told em I wanted to do the physical and mental tests again. Got denied, but I could apply for a position with my old results (I didn't even have to do the physical test the first time, they just "guesstimated" my strength and stamina...they wouldn't let me take them, instead they prefer to force people into service...stupid...

BTW, that guy is now studying to become a doctor...

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2005, 02:22:38 AM »
the mistake many who advocate this make is thinking that the only way to serve the country is to draw a paycheck from it.

Can anyone name just one draftee in the last 200 years that benifited the military more than john Moses Browning? I didnt think so. Would we have been better off if he had been drafted and killed? no, we benifited from him having the freedom to pursue what he thought were his gifts and talents.

The strength of our country is in large part our economic strength, that is one reason admiral yamamoto was afraid to take us on, he knew our economic and industrial strength would prevail if the war was not short.

mandatory government employment would do nothing to stimulate a strong economy and would actually slow any potential growth.

Chris

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2005, 05:40:16 AM »
I have so many mixed feeling on this topic, due to my own experiences.  Having served in the Army, I can tell you I would not want to serve with someone forced to be there.  The job is too dangerous without having to worry about someone not putting their best efforts into a task because he/she doesn't want to be there in the first place.  And, why do this disservice to those who choose to serve.

At the same time, especially back when I worked in Juvenile Court, I saw so many young people walking through life, immature, with no real purpose other than to party hard, get stoned/drunk/etc., and get laid.  A little compulsory service might just allow them to grow up without ruining their lives.  I know many people who served, and it allowed them the opportunity to grow up.  Many of the people I went to law school with stated that they would never have made it through undergrad, much less gone on to law school, had it not been for the discipline and maturity they got while serving.

Tough decision, so I'll err (if at all) on the side of saying no draft.  At least until the next full scale world war.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2005, 08:29:24 AM »
I can think of dozens of stories where criminals who obviously needed corrective applied discipline were given a choice between the armed forces and jail by a judge (almost all juveniles like you were saying), but that's still a choice.

Think back to how many waste of space jerk-offs were in your class your Sr. Year.  How many of them would you trust to guard your back when the metal meets the meat?  For me... less than half.

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2005, 12:22:41 PM »
From the school cadet force, I know that I'm not soldier material. I'm no good at giving or taking orders, I don't work particularly well in a group, I like to make my own mind up, and I like to try and do "the right thing" - which can be a bit problematic when you're under orders from someone else. All respect to people who can do these things - but it just ain't me. Conscripting me would be an exceptionally bad idea.

I used to beat myself up over the fact that I was not "soldier material", until I grew up and realised that the world isn't run upon militaristic, black-and-white lines. I think Winston Smith summed it up best in post #62 when he mentioned Stockholm Syndrome - people get seduced by the sense of purpose and belonging in the military. For me, that no longer holds any allure. I'm happy just being "me" and I'd strongly resist any attempt to force me to be something that I'm not.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2005, 12:57:45 PM »
Quote from: Bemidjiblade
I can think of dozens of stories where criminals who obviously needed corrective applied discipline were given a choice between the armed forces and jail by a judge (almost all juveniles like you were saying), but that's still a choice.

Think back to how many waste of space jerk-offs were in your class your Sr. Year.  How many of them would you trust to guard your back when the metal meets the meat?  For me... less than half.
I was one of those C-average wast of space jerkoffs.  The Marine Corps is where I got my stuff together.  Its an excellent choice for a young person I would recommend highly.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”