Author Topic: Do we understand gravity as cavemen understood fire?  (Read 18241 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Do we understand gravity as cavemen understood fire?
« on: June 27, 2010, 06:31:56 AM »
Ok, this might sound silly, but just how well does mankind (us, not Mick Foley) currently understand gravity?
Sure, I know we recognize the effects of gravity and where to find it (and why that is), but do we know what it is?

Early man certainly found uses for fire and knew many of its properties along with requirements needed for its creation (a fuel, access to open air, heat, etc).  However, they couldn't have known the smoke was a composition of oxygen, hydrogen and carbon (since they hadn't a clue what that even was) or the chemical reaction involved with the "fire" itself. At their level of understanding, they couldn't possibly have known.

Are we at this same stage in understanding gravity?   If so, when we do understand gravity at the same level that we currently understand "fire", would it be so enlightening that it could usher in a new era for mankind?

Just curious.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:56:25 AM by Snowdog »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Do we understand gravity as cavement understood fire?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »
Are you trying to say we don't understand the gravity of the situation?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Do we understand gravity as cavemen understood fire?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »
Ok, this might sound silly, but just how well does mankind (us, not Mick Foley) currently understand gravity?

This statement lacks gravitas.....maybe you should have Dick Cheney ask it....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »
Personally I think there is a fundamental element of physics yet to be discovered, one that will 'splain lots of stuff we currently don't really understand on a fundamental level (gravity, dark matter, etc).

Weighty matter, that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »

Very well, but don't make him ask twice....

Thanks Brad, that's the conclusion I'm leaning towards as well.  I do find it fascinating that something we see every day isn't understood if that's true.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »
Pay no attention to the low humor, 'Dog.  Morgan Freeman explained it to me very well a week or two ago.  Watch "Through the Wormhole".  Basically, from my limited grasp, we know the "particles" that provide the energy of light (photons), the weak force (bosons) and the strong force (gluons) I may have mixed up the last two, whatever.  There's a lot of head scratching among the really, really smart kids as to what particle, analagous to the first three, provides the energy we describe as gravity.  If we can cook that up, and come up with the Unified Field Theory, aka the Theory of Everything, it'd be, like, way cool.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
Hutch, I have heard of that show and I could have sworn I had it saved on the DVR to record, but now looking through the gobs of stuff that's been saved, no dice.  You're the second person I've seen bring that up today, so I'll certainly give that a shot.  I already watch the one with Stephen Hawkins, which is quite intriguing as well. 

Thanks!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »
Everyone - scientists and such, that is - are scratching their heads over which particle or which wave does what, and how to resolve the continuous "is it a particle or a wave" question in terms of, well, lots of stuff.  I firmly believe there will be a discovered another form of matter-energy, one that we live in/around/with every day but are scientifically unable or logically incapable of recognizing.  Yet.  It will be such a fundamental shift from the science we currently know that it will bring on a radical shift in how we view reality itself (quantum physics has alread hinted at the possibility). 

Just as quantum physics did over the last century, this new discovery will send us scrambling back to the proverbial drawing board and usher in an entirely new age of science and mankind.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:52:36 AM »
Gravity and magnetism have always struck me as being very similar so I wonder if it's based in electricity somehow. Like all mass emits a certain weak electrical field that is amplified by the size of the mass ans creates a natural attraction for mass to mass.

Like I was just watching two ice cubes melt in a cup of hot coffee the other day because simple things fascinate me. They danced around each other for a while being driven by the outflow of water and finally they got close enough to each other that you could watch them kind of just "see" each other and then suck themselves together until they were touching. To me it seemed like a miniscule gravitational attraction but at the same time it could have been related to the surface tension of the liquid. Either way it was a great way to kill ~ 5 minutes.  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 10:57:44 AM »
I've seen people study their coffee that way, but they were usually very drunk. ;)

I suspect once science has a thorough understanding of gravity, there will be ways found to modify it. That could lead to some interesting work.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
I've seen people study their coffee that way, but they were usually very drunk. ;)
Nope, just sitting in a booth killing some time before the next appointment. I did my best not to drool while I awas so entertained.

I suspect once science has a thorough understanding of gravity, there will be ways found to modify it.
Hellooo, it's called the "airplane".  ;)

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 12:08:01 PM »
Do we understand gravity as cavemen understood fire?

Did someone get up early, realize it was Sunday and there was nothing needing to be done, so they hit the bong before breakfast?   >:D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
Everyone - scientists and such, that is - are scratching their heads over which particle or which wave does what, and how to resolve the continuous "is it a particle or a wave" question in terms of, well, lots of stuff.  I firmly believe there will be a discovered another form of matter-energy, one that we live in/around/with every day but are scientifically unable or logically incapable of recognizing.  Yet.  It will be such a fundamental shift from the science we currently know that it will bring on a radical shift in how we view reality itself (quantum physics has alread hinted at the possibility).

The force is an energy field created by all living things, it surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together
=D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
The force is an energy field created by all living things, it surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together =D

According to quantum theory, that's a tantalizing possibility.

Brad
-HankB

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »
Last year Erik Verlinde went quite far in describing gravity as an entropic force relating to the information about a system encoded on the holographic screen (think bounding surface) surrounding that system (also see: for why this "holographic screen" idea was initially cooked up, inspired by black holes).  I don't know whether that speculative theory of gravity has been viciously dismantled by now, but I think it would be really neat if gravity turned out to be an emergent phenomena like he described.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_as_an_entropic_force
http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2010/01/gravity-is-an-entropic-form-of-holographic-information/
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »
Everything can be explained by particle physics.

For example, time is explained by the flow of time particles called chronons. These are omnipresent, but only those traveling in the same direction as you are at a rate of speed higher than yours cause the apparent passage of time. As you increase your velocity, fewer chronons pass you by, so time appears to slow. (This effect really begins to manifest as you approach the speed of light.)

Friction? Explained by particles of friction called frikions. Some substances (rubber, for instance) have large number of frikions on the surface, so rubbing two pieces of rubber together will meet frictional resistance. Other items like Teflon have fewer frikions, so they tend to slide over things. Now, oil will reduce friction, but that's just because oil washes the surface layer of frikions away . . .

An explanation of gravitons is left as an exercise for the reader.

:angel:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »
Does science really understand anything fully?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »

No expert understands fully his own topic of expertise.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 02:43:23 PM »
Science knows more about how things do not work rather than how they do work.  =)  Simple, single-variable process of elimination, as it were.  Not saying anything against Science, mind you--it's just that the methods we use lend themselves more to this line of thought better than any other.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »

s/understand/describe/
No, but it's the highest form of human activity that keeps trying to reduce errors between reality and our conception of reality.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »

Fully? no.  We think we understand, and we keep testing to see if we really understand.  The more we test, the more we realize that we understand some things, and not others.  The more we test, the more questions we answer, but then again, it leaves even more questions to ask.

As far as particles, we THINK we know all the particles and what they do, we just havn't observed the higgs boson yet. 
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »
I'm still trying to understand what the definition of "is" is. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »
As far as particles, we THINK we know all the particles and what they do, we just haven't observed the higgs boson[s] yet.
Maybe we have...
http://www.physorg.com/news195885620.html
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
Hellooo, it's called the "airplane"

The airplane is aerodynamics. Gravity is when the airplane isn't designed right. ;)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »
Hellooo, it's called the "airplane".  ;)

pwnd

Maybe cavemen understood gravity, but didn't know that their science books were flammable?  What a loss.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife