Author Topic: Do we understand gravity as cavemen understood fire?  (Read 18243 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Do we understand gravity as cavemen understood fire?
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2010, 11:51:43 AM »
In that case, since gravity itself has both attributes, there's no anti-gravity to discover, no anti-gravitons, or space time "hills", as opposed to space-time "wells". It may simply be gravity behaving in both ways.

If so, perhaps gravity is in fact 2 forces, analogous to the strong and weak forces. "Strong" gravity attracts, "weak" gravity repels, with the "weak" gravity working over longer distances than the "strong." That or gravity only attracts and there's another yet undiscovered counter-force, again analogous to strong vs weak forces.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
Then there is also the possibility of the "big rip" as the expansion of space-time accelerates, long after all the stars are dead, the stretching of space-time may rip apart the galaxies (now mostly full of black holes, neutron stars, maybe a few ultra-long-lived 3rd or 4th generation red dwarf stars). Then eventually un-bind any planetary and multiple star systems, disintegrate planets and stars (or their remnants). And the ever accelerating expansion of space-time might overcome the strong nuclear force and disassemble atoms and particles.

I HATE when that happens!

"anti-gravity" becomes semantically null when you define it that way.

If a magical, science-fictional style anti-gravity device was actually in view, yes.  At the annual Anti-Gravity Research Conference, yes.  In a silly forum conversation, no.  Then you get people claiming that airplanes don't "resist the pull of gravity," as if that wasn't an airplane's job description. 

As we know, terms can be defined be too loosely or too narrowly.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
Here, this oughta keep everybody occupied for a while  >:D

http://www.einstein-online.info/elementary/generalRT/GeomGravity
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2010, 07:29:08 PM »
Wait, I think I found it. And if it's a Rigid you know it works good.  ;)

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2010/06/10/vintage-ads-thinking/?test=faces#slide=36
Avoid cliches like the plague!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
Actually......

(rummages around, draws a force diagram for a chair)

See, the chair I'm sitting in is exerting a force on me that is equal but opposite the force being exerted on me by gravity.  So therefore, it is technically accurate to describe the chair I'm sitting in to be an anti-gravity device, as it DOES technically affect a force that cancels the force being exerted by gravity.

:P

I'm not sure that's correct....the chair doesn't cancel out gravity...it's also affected by gravity...the chair just acts as an intermediary object....kinda like if you're electrocuted while holding a piece of white bread in your other hand....the current affects both you and the bread even though your body is between the source and the bread....and, either way, you're toasted....  =D

(and now I'm gonna go build me a Tyme machine and pretend I never posted this)

=D

Is that code language for the recreational incineration of plant matter?...  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2010, 11:01:53 PM »
I'm not sure that's correct....the chair doesn't cancel out gravity...it's also affected by gravity...the chair just acts as an intermediary object....kinda like if you're electrocuted while holding a piece of white bread in your other hand....the current affects both you and the bread even though your body is between the source and the bread....and, either way, you're toasted....  =D

Is that code language for the recreational incineration of plant matter?...  ;)

No I think that would be a thyme machine.
Look, tiny text!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin