Author Topic: Parking - Why?  (Read 6973 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Parking - Why?
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »
At the risk of getting trounced on like I did in my lumber cart thread, why the hell do people park like this when they're at places like Costco (where I took this pic):

I totally get that people sometimes park nose out for safety/security, or when parking where it's hard to see when you're backing out, but I don't get it, especially with a truck or an SUV, when you park like this at the Costco, grocery store, or some other location where you're likely going to have a bunch of stuff to put in the back. I got there ten minutes early, and this guy actually backed in just after I got there and left probably just over a foot of room between me and him. Maybe enough to lower the tailgate, but not enough to get between it and my front bumper. No idea why he didn't pull into an empty area, other than not wanting to walk a couple of more steps. The guy in the SUV next to him did the same thing, though he pulled past the empty space to my right.

I see this A LOT of this at this particular Costco, and just don't get it. I also often see it at Home Depot and Lowes, where it's equally perplexing. At the grocery store, maybe someone is only running in for an item or two, but that's much less likely at Costco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Parking - Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
 :lol:

I've been wondering when this would come up here. I just recently learned that nose-out offends some people. I think your answer is the same as "Why open carry?" It's just one way of doing things, that makes as much sense as the other way.

I've been parking that way a lot, lately. If I need a reason, it's partly because it makes it easier to leave quickly. Perhaps more importantly, it's less risky than having to back out of the parking space without being able to see oncoming vehicles.

That being said, I prefer to park further out.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
:lol:

I've been parking that way a lot, lately. If I need a reason, it's partly because it makes it easier to leave quickly. Perhaps more importantly, it's less risky than having to back out of the parking space without being able to see oncoming vehicles.

That part I get, and I don't care one way or the other in most places. My question was geared towards places like Costco, where I see people that park like this in trucks and SUVs struggling to put stuff in the back because they don't have room to maneuver, and on an "it affects Ben" note, might drop a tailgate on my hood or smack my front end with their rear hatch. Plus anyone who can't back out of this particular Costco lot probably needs their license revoked.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 04:28:58 PM »
I generally pull through a set of open parking spots to park nose out, but what I'm seeing the in the pics makes no sense at all...
Plus anyone who can't back out of this particular Costco lot probably needs their license revoked.

I love the way Costco parking lots are laid out- it makes for a much more pleasant experience from the moment you pull in.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »
Having never been to a Costco/Sam's, do people just not go there unless they're getting a whole pallet-full of stuff? Or do you see a lot of people struggling to get their pallet-full into the back of the truck, and having to walk on the hood of the car behind them?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »
Having never been to a Costco/Sam's, do people just not go there unless they're getting a whole pallet-full of stuff? Or do you see a lot of people struggling to get their pallet-full into the back of the truck, and having to walk on the hood of the car behind them?

I goto Costco and Sam's for items I can't get elsewhere, or they are really expensive elsewhere, and I can usually carry the stuff out w/o using a cart. (or pallet jack)  It goes in the back of the pickup, but I lift it over the side so it doesn't matter if I'm parked nose-first or ass-first.
"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »
I think you have just stumbled upon an example of people who look at things differently.  When I used to shop at Costco type places I wouldn't typically buy enough stuff to even bother opening up the trunk of my car, it just got put on the seat for the ride home.  I also like parking nose out for the simple reason it's safer to pull out because you can see better.  Note that the truck in question has a cover over the bed, increasing the chances that it doesn't get used as a hauler very much.

By the way, that brings up a question I have wondered about.  In similar parking lots, I've seen people pulled in nose first with an open spot in front of them.  But when they leave they still back out, even though they could easily drive through the empty space in front.  Why wouldn't they? Habit? Something I'm not seeing?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »
The question in my mind is why back in next to two vehicles when we can see there are open spots available.  If you went to the Lowe's down here, all the trucks would be staggered around with a spot or two between each one (at least until it gets full).  Most people would not park right next to someone unless they had to.  The lanes between rows are just a bit too small at the Lowe's here.

I have a rear view camera on my Ford F150.  However, the visibility out the back is terrible.  If I didn't have that camera, I would be a hell of a lot more concerned about having to back up.  For the guys with larger pickups with 4X4 and such, I imagine it is worse.  That truck doesn't look like it has a rear visibility issue.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
The question in my mind is why back in next to two vehicles when we can see there are open spots available.  If you went to the Lowe's down here, all the trucks would be staggered around with a spot or two between each one (at least until it gets full).  Most people would not park right next to someone unless they had to.  The lanes between rows are just a bit too small at the Lowe's here.

I have a rear view camera on my Ford F150.  However, the visibility out the back is terrible.  If I didn't have that camera, I would be a hell of a lot more concerned about having to back up.  For the guys with larger pickups with 4X4 and such, I imagine it is worse.  That truck doesn't look like it has a rear visibility issue.

Or worse, you are parked 'normally' (nose in), the spot in front of you is open, as are a 1/2 dozen sets of spots around you, and a car pulls up in the spot opposite to you as you start your car. I hate that.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 05:31:09 PM »
By the way, that brings up a question I have wondered about.  In similar parking lots, I've seen people pulled in nose first with an open spot in front of them.  But when they leave they still back out, even though they could easily drive through the empty space in front.  Why wouldn't they? Habit? Something I'm not seeing?

With me it's been habit for several decades, after seeing a buddy do the "pull forward" thing while I was a passenger in his car. He forgot he was in a lot with concrete bumpers and he wasn't light on the gas when he pulled forward. :)  I'll occasionally still do it when I'm conscious of the parking lot, but if I'm in "parking lot condition white", my involuntary response is to back out.

The question in my mind is why back in next to two vehicles when we can see there are open spots available.  If you went to the Lowe's down here, all the trucks would be staggered around with a spot or two between each one (at least until it gets full).

Because this guy was a knucklehead. There were a ton of empty alternatives. I guess that was his lucky spot or something. I occasionally see people back in when the lot is fuller, but most people just pull forward in an empty row. The lumber side of the Lowes here will usually stagger like you mentioned, mostly with trucks that you can pretty much tell are "working for a living" guys.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »
I'll park nose out if I don't have to back in to get that way (pull through from the other side) especially at places like WalMart.

Also, I don't generally use my trunk unless I have so much stuff with me that I can't shove it all in the backseat. Which pretty much means laundry day when I put my laundry baskets in the trunk. I got out of the habit of using it way back when the latch got funky and never bothered to get back into the habit once it was fixed. I don't like having to collect my groceries and other purchases from being scattered across the trunk. Even with the bags tied, stuff rolls around unless it's really packed in there. Most stuff just fits better on the back seat and in the back floor boards better anyway and it stays where you put it.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »

^^^ This.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »
Habit from when I was in the Army.  Only times I park nose in is at Aldi (because I'll have anywhere from 2-4 mail totes to load in the back hatch), or someplace I know I'll be loading something into the back.

Everywhere else, it's nose out and covering fire upon departure.... =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
Didn't know that annoyed some people.

I'll pull through for exactly the reason of visibility when leaving.  Besides that, I have a little stupid personal rule not to back up unnecessarily.

When I was younger, half, fully half, of my bumpies have been backing accidents.  The other half have been fronting accidents.

But that was all before I learned to drive.

As opposed to merely operating a vehicle.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
On the list of annoying parking behaviors, this is fairly low for me.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »
On the list of annoying parking behaviors, this is fairly low for me.

Hell, I didn't even know it was one. I reserve my ire for asshats who park in the fire/loading zone and people who can't park within the lines.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 06:46:08 PM »
People, see above where I say I get why it's done or preferred under some circumstances, and don't generally care one way or the other. My question was why do it at a place where you very likely will have to access the back of your vehicle, and make loading harder on yourself?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 06:55:34 PM »
People, see above where I say I get why it's done or preferred under some circumstances, and don't generally care one way or the other. My question was why do it at a place where you very likely will have to access the back of your vehicle, and make loading harder on yourself?

You would see my truck and assume it was going to be harder, when in fact it's no different (because i'm not going to need to access the tailgate)  I just went to Menard's for a pack of batteries.  Or to Costco because I like their bread.

When I go there to buy a whole pallet of something, I park in the fire lane ;)

"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
I've learned to nose-out in the church parking lot. Lots of little kids running around, and we are not Darwinists.  =)

I've heard that nose-out parking is common in Hawaii. Didn't hear why.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 07:04:19 PM »

Your assumption is that it will make loading harder, but the thing is you don't know what they are buying or where in their vehicle they are putting what they are buying.

You don't actually know that they are making the loading harder and, while I'm sure there is an idiot or two who is doing that to themselves, I'm betting most of them aren't.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »
Trying to figure out why people drive or park as they do is a lost cause.  To answer Ben's question:  People park the way he was describing in the OP because they, like most people around today, are brain dead.  Or their brain is comprised of a whole slew of boxes and they are all empty.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 10:03:01 PM »
I always back in. But If I go to depot or somewhere I know I'll be putting stuff in the back, I'll park a few spots away and not pull all the way through. So essentially the spot behind be would only be good for a mini cooper.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
I generally pull through a set of open parking spots to park nose out, but what I'm seeing the in the pics makes no sense at all...

I do the same, and generally some distance from the other cars; I like to leave several spots open between me and the nearest car.  I have this hope this will cut down on people parking next to me with the door dings.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 10:42:57 PM »
I got a topper on my pickup, easier to see to leave the parking spot when nose out. I also seem to attract minivan or taller vehicles next to me when I park, so I park nose out by habit. Always seems to be a kamikaze driver in the parking lot and I do want to be hit by them as I back out. Also people don't like to return the shopping carts to the corral, trying to reduce my risk of backing into one.

At place where I need to load up the back of my truck? I drive to the rear lot/dock or front door to get my merchandise.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 12:14:16 AM »
At Costco I back in unless I know I have something too bulky to load in the back seat. It is a busy parking lot and people are generally oblivious while navigating it. Big trucks have crappy visibility while backing. I would, however, have parked in the middle of nowhere if at all possible.