Author Topic: Rye Whiskey if proof God loves me and wants me to be happy  (Read 2029 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Rye Whiskey if proof God loves me and wants me to be happy
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:45:21 PM »
Got a bottle of Old Overholt Rye.

Took the P.E. exam today.

I'm in a VERY happy place.

SWMBOS's aunt cooked ling cod (that I caught) for dinner too!
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Rye Whiskey if proof God loves me and wants me to be happy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:15:11 AM »
Good job! Enjoy the well-deserved whiskey!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 04:12:15 AM »
Shouldn't you drink the whiskey before the exam?  You know, to calm your nerves...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:23:57 AM »
Hope all is well today! Congrats.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
Enjoy, and good luck!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »
What goes well with rye? Other than ice or a glass. Serious question, I don't have much experience with it.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:08:05 AM »
What goes well with rye? Other than ice or a glass. Serious question, I don't have much experience with it.

It was quite nice on its own.

Mild headache this morning, but not bad.

Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
The cowboy gets high on a bottle of rye,
The coyote gets drunk on the moon.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »

It's the original Manhattan and Sazerac whiskey, also serviceable in an Old Fashioned or Sour. Fine with soda. It's American (or Canadian) whiskey, just tends to be a bit more crisp and less sweet than o bourbon or other corn blend.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
It's the original Manhattan and Sazerac whiskey, also serviceable in an Old Fashioned or Sour. Fine with soda. It's American (or Canadian) whiskey, just tends to be a bit more crisp and less sweet than o bourbon or other corn blend.

Question for the group.  Many of you are older than me so maybe you know.

Why did we flip from rye being the dominant whiskey in the late 50's to corn based stuff?  I corn was used for whiskey for a long time, and it was nothing new at the time, but the market just went a whole different direction around that time as far as I know.  Rye started to become rare and it's just now making a comeback... I suspect because corn prices are high, but I could be wrong.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
I've read that corn-based whiskeys were the first to come back after Prohibition and subsequently dominated the marketplace.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 12:16:32 AM »
Also that corn whiskey is "mellower" - well, after they fiddle with it.  After (during?) WWII women* started drinking and were looking for something not as harsh.

That's the story I heard in the classes they made me sit through.

stay safe.

*women = your mother, your sister, your wife, as opposed to "dames" and "broads" and "bimbos" who had been guzzling booze all along.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:18:04 PM »
Depends on the distillation.

For pot stills without reflux, the proof increase is low for each run, so the proof comes up incrementally each successive run, hence double or triple-distilled corn whiskey and bourbon.

If you're running reflux, you get higher proof, but a more neutral clear spirit with less of the parent beer/mash flavor.

As you distill the mash and go from the foreshots through the heads into the hearts and tails, you'll get different products.

Transitioning from the higher-proof hearts into the lower proof tails, you'll get more corn oils and corn flavor.  

Knowing when to shut down in the tails is a fine and subjective balance that distillers and blenders base their brand's reputation on.

Of course, this is also before they cut it to cask strength, and let it interact with the oak of the barrel for 3,5, 12, 14 or more years.  

Then they'll sample from those casks to blend and finally cut to bottling proof.   And those are all trade secrets...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:50:40 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 10:19:32 PM »
Justin, we've used corn as our liquor base here in the colonies because it was the grain of choice.

Contrast that to grain bill in the U.K., where it's rye and barley.  

Barley is neat because the 2-row and later/better 6-row varieties have an excess of diastatic enzymes to convert starches to fermentable sugars, which is very important.

To have corn do that, it needs to be malted, where the corn kernels are kept moist long enough to sprout and start their own internal enzyme action, then the sprouts are milled out leaving the corn kernels ready to ferment.

Nowadays, the grain bills of many American whiskies and bourbons have a mix of barley and corn, using the barley's abundance of enzymes to both add flavor and boost the corn's starch breakdown during fermentation.

Bourbon is supposed to have at least 50% corn in the grain bill, but most are considerably higher than that.

There's a long tradition that fuels this. My understanding is that a lot, if not most, of our founding fathers converted a percentage of their given corn harvest into distilled spirits as a matter of practice.

The finished product was used as a means of exchange, and quite popular at that. British taxation of tea was a fore-runner to the 1791 Whiskey Rebellion.  

Having said that, I just tried a Japanese whiskey (Yamazaki) that uses rice as part of the grain bill, and it was actually quite nice.

I've read there are oat-based whiskeys out there for the tasting, too...   :O

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »
Never been much of a bourbon fan.  Not that I dislike ot, just not drawn to it like barley and rye based drinks.

One downside to (hopefully) electing a Mormon is that he'd almost certainly oppose legalizing home distillation.
Formerly sumpnz