Author Topic: Meth Addict Burglar Sues Homeowner  (Read 4144 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Meth Addict Burglar Sues Homeowner
« on: October 25, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
He thinks he shouldn't have been shot because it's not his fault, he's addicted to meth (nevermind that he shot the homeowner).

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/25/accused-burglar-reportedly-countersues-0-year-old-shooting-victim/?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Re: Meth Addict Burglar Sues Homeowner
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »

Shooting armed "burglar" -- BURGLAR? sorry, that's a frickin' ROBBER -- is no time to be saving ammunition.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
Deficient application of lead, right there.

Leone said he was able to wriggle his hands loose before convincing Cutrufelli to let him use the bathroom. He then grabbed one of the five handguns from his bedroom and spotted Cutrufelli in his closet. Cutrufelli, in turn, allegedly fired his gun, striking Leone in the jaw. Leone then fired back before Cutrufelli wrestled his gun away and put the gun to Leone’s head and pulled the trigger — but no bullets remained in the gun.

Bang, bang, bang, click...click... huh? what's wrong with this?  <struggle for gun, young guy takes it away from old guy>... more clicks.

Gorram California magazines. :mad:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
Given the way courts are these days nothing is certain, but a police lieutenant in Chicago once told me that the next of kin of a deceased burglar has a substantially lower chance of prevailing in a lawsuit than a lawsuit filed by a burglar who survives.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »

Burglar?  What "burglar" would that be?  I don't see no effing burglar.

Dude was an armed robber.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »
Dude was an armed robber.

This is true.

Also sadly, the lawsuit seems to have been instigated by his father. That's some good parenting there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »
Good point . . . how about "Home Invader" or "Armed Home Invader?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
I'm curious to see what happens with the lawsuit, especially because it is in Marin County.  I don't think that would fly up here in Mendocino County.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »
Given the way courts are these days nothing is certain, but a police lieutenant in Chicago once told me that the next of kin of a deceased burglar has a substantially lower chance of prevailing in a lawsuit than a lawsuit filed by a burglar who survives.

Well, that's good to know.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »

Got backhoe ?   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »
This is true.

Also sadly, the lawsuit seems to have been instigated by his father. That's some good parenting there.

Mah baby didn't do nothin! He was a good boy on his way to choir practice!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »
In sane world the judge would dismiss the suit as being frivolous and then fine the attorney for wasting the court's time.   
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 10:13:39 PM »

Dang it, you have to change that avatar, I can't even read it in ghetto voice with that avatar right next to it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 11:02:19 PM »

;/ Stereotypical and inaccurate.

It's "nuffin!".
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
"An beside, dat man he be OLD! Ain't no big thang if'n he be shot, he gunna be gone soon anyways. But mah baby be a YOUNG buck, an' tanks to dat ol man, he almos' be kilt in his PRIME! Old man shootin' a young'n ain't be right, even if'n he be shot fust!"

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »
Not his fault that he's addicted to Meth.  We should be paying him for his misfortune. :D
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
I'd be happy to pay him....

About 15 cents worth of lead at a time....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »
In sane world the judge would dismiss the suit as being frivolous and then fine the attorney for wasting the court's time.   

It's getting harder amd harder for judges to dismiss even crap lawsuits without facing both appeals and disciplinary action with the state baar for denying people their acess to the courts... [barf]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
As it happens, one of the other propsitions on Arizona's ballot this year is to eliminate the possiblility of someone injured while commiting a crime on private property from sueing the owner. Prop 114, I believe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
It's getting harder amd harder for judges to dismiss even crap lawsuits without facing both appeals and disciplinary action with the state baar for denying people their acess to the courts... [barf]

And yet the State judge up in Montana had no difficulty dismissing the MFFA case with prejudice.  :facepalm:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »
This one needs to be dismissed with prejudice and a bitch slap to the lawyer tile crawling slug that brought the suit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »
Just goes to show that, as I tell people all the time, anyone can sue anyone for anything. Whether they can actually win and collect is something entirely different.  But the defendant still has to go through the trouble of defending against even a crap suit.

As an aside, I agree that the homeowner should file suit against the burglar.  Make it a counter-suit, and this will allow all of the evidence to hit the jury, and will allow the jury to award him damages.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
Should we start having Grand Juries for civil cases? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge