Author Topic: Let Me Write This Down Before I Forget...  (Read 576 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Let Me Write This Down Before I Forget...
« on: September 08, 2022, 05:38:12 PM »
Apparently researchers have discovered a way to identify Alzheimer's up to 17 years in advance of symptom onset. If there is no cure, at least this would give people plenty of time to prepare.

https://scitechdaily.com/new-device-can-detect-alzheimers-17-years-in-advance/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: Let Me Write This Down Before I Forget...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 07:42:46 PM »
My question is, "What will they do with the early diagnosis?"  I would hope it would spur research and development of treatments before the actual onset of dementia, not just so they can say I told you so.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 07:44:53 PM »
Theodore, following your diagnosis, your Kubler-Ross social worker has some options for you...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 07:48:21 PM »
What were we talking about?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 09:04:03 PM »
My question is, "What will they do with the early diagnosis?"  I would hope it would spur research and development of treatments before the actual onset of dementia,

I'm sure that is ongoing.

Otherwise, at 62, I would be interested in knowing even if nothing could be done. If I tested positive, I would certainly change my long-term care plans in order to prepare.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 11:33:00 AM »
My question is, "What will they do with the early diagnosis?" I would hope it would spur research and development of treatments before the actual onset of dementia, not just so they can say I told you so.

I'm sure insurance companies would find a way to maximize their profits by denying and canceling coverage for anyone so diagnosed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 12:20:35 PM »
I'm sure that is ongoing.

Otherwise, at 62, I would be interested in knowing even if nothing could be done. If I tested positive, I would certainly change my long-term care plans in order to prepare.

You're assuming any LTC plans are available after you test positive.  (also see RKL's post right above mine)  Insurance companies will weaponize the tests.

No good can come from an early diagnosis unless there are early treatments available.
"It's good, though..."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 10:33:12 PM »
You're assuming any LTC plans are available after you test positive.  (also see RKL's post right above mine)  Insurance companies will weaponize the tests.

No good can come from an early diagnosis unless there are early treatments available.

That was my point.  Diagnose and treat, not just say, "You are going to get it, but we can't treat it, so good luck."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 11:09:42 PM »
I used to worry terribly about this but my dad is 79 now and his worse memory problems came from a really good concussion 12 years ago. Beyond that he is pretty sharp. His dad had me worried, knew nobody, even his wife, for ten years. Apparently the only time in his life that he was pleasant. I guess it wasn't hereditary, 70 years of heavy drinking, in his 80s the local hospital misdiagnosed his meningitis and 104 fever for alcohol withdrawal. Add in some strokes and his wife deliberately mismanaging his medications and I think we know where his noodle went.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 10:38:06 AM »
I used to worry terribly about this but my dad is 79 now and his worse memory problems came from a really good concussion 12 years ago. Beyond that he is pretty sharp. His dad had me worried, knew nobody, even his wife, for ten years. Apparently the only time in his life that he was pleasant. I guess it wasn't hereditary, 70 years of heavy drinking, in his 80s the local hospital misdiagnosed his meningitis and 104 fever for alcohol withdrawal. Add in some strokes and his wife deliberately mismanaging his medications and I think we know where his noodle went.

My Dad's 92, still very sharp.  His father was totally out of it with dementia (died at 88, was I think 5 years before that that people were noticing stuff that worried them). 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 10:47:34 AM »

Actually I'm not. While I have insurance, SS, and a gov pension, I don't count on them. Among other things, I have ~5 years of long term care / elder care set aside with instructions for my fiduciary to use that if or when my insurance runs out. If that gets used up, since I likely won't be in my house if I'm in long term care, she has instructions to use whatever dough I got for the house towards my care until I croak. Whatever gets drained from that is just less money that my current heir and charities get. Sucks to be them.

Which is why, yes, even without "a cure", knowing that I will get Alzheimer's in 15-20 years is beneficial as it would have me supplement my long term care funds since I will likely require more care than just assisted living in the Villages in FL.  =)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 11:09:19 AM »
If I start to develop actual dementia my plan is to have a friend take me to my favorite deer hunting spot, help me hike to the glassing spot I prefer, and leave me there with a pistol, fatal amount of some painkiller, or whatever.  If a pistol, give it couple days for the scavengers to clean up the gore, if other means, just a day and then make an anonymous call to law enforcement so I’m found.  If I forget why I’m there and don’t do anything, and survive the weather overnight, they’ll just take me to the nursing home.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 10:36:30 PM »
My Dad's 92, still very sharp.  His father was totally out of it with dementia (died at 88, was I think 5 years before that that people were noticing stuff that worried them).

Dad's 85, his brother is 89. My uncle has moderate to bad dementia/Alzheimer's, dad is mild to moderate. Both of their older sisters died from Alzheimer's in their early 90s, grandad made it to 96, Alzheimer's took him. I've got a cousin on Dad's side that is 3 months younger than me, we're 60. He's in a nursing home with dementia but he had a stroke several years ago, his use of recreational pharmaceuticals may have had some impact on his health.
So, strong family history, a little unnerving.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams