Author Topic: Another dumb computer question  (Read 335 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Another dumb computer question
« on: September 10, 2022, 02:30:11 PM »
When I install freeware software, I have always saved the download file(s) rather than just allow them to run. Among other things, this makes the files available for installing on all my computers, whether or not they have Internet access.

Once in awhile, I find that I prefer an older version, so I'm happy that I've saved the older files. DoPDF7 is an example -- I think DoPDF is now up to version 10 or 12 but I still happily use version 7 because it does everything I want it to do -- and it's lighter and easier to use than version 8 or 9.

In general, though, how many old versions do I realistically need? For some programs, I probably have ten or more old versions on my "personal cloud" network storage device, and it's unlikely that I'll ever go back to the oldest versions for any reason. What's a good compromise number of old versions to retain? Three? Five? ???
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Another dumb computer question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 08:35:32 PM »
All of them.
Blog under construction

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 08:15:13 PM »
All of them.

If you've got the room, I agree with Bogie.

Invariably, I'll delete something, then sometime in the future find I really wanted to keep it.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 10:40:31 PM »
I went through a spindle of CD-R's some months ago.  Many things that I had burned 15-20 odd years ago.

There were some music CD's that I didn't really care for anymore.  I did find a few data CD's - backups.  On them I found installers for software.  I also found copies of pictures that I had since lost in a hard drive crash.

The software was laughably outdated and useless.  I was happy to recover the pictures and would pay good money to recover the remainder that I've lost.