Author Topic: Plainclothes officers in WV interrupted a funeral by killing a pallbearer  (Read 656 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Plainclothes officers in West Virginia interrupted a funeral by killing a pallbearer as he was mid-embrace — and seconds after placing his father's casket in the hearse: report
https://www.insider.com/plainclothes-officers-kill-a-pallbearer-seconds-carrying-his-fathers-casket-2022-9

This story is a bit odd.  All the information appears to be from family and relatives of the deceased.  It is a pretty new story, but it should get more attention if the event occurred as described.  If there were video, I bet it would get a lot more attention.

"They yelled Jason's name. They just said 'Jason' and then started firing," Whitecotton said. "There was no identifications they were U.S. Marshals — anything. They did not render this man any aid at all. Never once they touched him to render any aid whatsoever."

After Owens placed his father's casket into the hearse, he embraced a relative. Then, seconds later, he died.

The US Marshals Service has not yet specified why Owens' name was on a list of fugitives to be apprehended.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Plainclothes officers in WV interrupted a funeral by killing a pallbearer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 09:56:54 PM »
Just guessing that the even more newly deceased was on a list of "bleep 'em up first."
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 10:30:15 PM »
Oh, I am sure he wasn't a saint, but the tactics (as described) would get most cops put on administrative leave immediately with a murder trial more often than not.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 11:43:06 PM »
PLAINCLOTHES officers who start shooting at a funeral would - understandably - draw return fire from good Samaritans in some places who'd figure it's the beginning of a mass shooting.

Hopefully we'll find out what ACTUALLY happened in the coming days - the first news reports are often lacking, sometimes to the point where they're just plain false.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 12:06:52 AM »
It certainly LOOKS bad, so far...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 01:30:45 PM »
Yeah, I would like to know more... cause if that is the whole story then.... :O

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 01:42:21 PM »
This story stinks through and through.  They even make Raylan Givens look like a saint.  If even remotely accurate, some LEOs need to be jailed. 
Were the supposed LEOs actually US Marshals?  The story alludes to that, but doesn't outright identify them as such.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 01:48:46 PM »
If this is the whole story? Yeah, wow.

But I until I see more I highly suspect something is being left out and/or distorted in the story we're hearing. Kind of like Martin who "was shot in the back while being chased down by a rabid Zimmerman while delivering a basket of food to his oppressed grandmother" had actually jumped and was on top of and bashing Zimmerman's head in the concrete when he was shot.

If this isn't the case, again wow.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 01:58:59 PM »
Read the URL of the first link I posted for a hint as to what's missing in the story.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 02:12:21 PM »
Read the URL of the first link I posted for a hint as to what's missing in the story.

Overlooked your post.
So he pulled a gun according to that? Well that certainly won't be part of the narrative
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 02:23:22 PM »
Yeah, It's interesting that the first link quoted the family member that refuted the claim that he had a gun and that the officer performed first aid, but neglected to even mention the USMS's statement that she was refuting.

This one has some big holes in the reporting, and both sides have motive to be untruthful.  I'm going to withhold any judgment till some trustworthy info is released.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »
Pulling a gun on NON UNIFORMED individuals carrying guns and claiming to be police is not entirely unreasonable - IF that's what happened. We don't know for sure.

What puzzles me a bit is why so far NO cell phone video has surfaced in the immediate aftermath - you'd think once the pallbearer was down and the plainclothes LEOs identified themselves as such, that almost every mourner at the funeral would have pulled out a cell phone and started shooting video. From multiple angles.

But so far - nothing.

Why?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 07:01:10 PM »
We will never know the truth without body cam footage. LEOs will lie, the family will lie and any "investigation" will be weighted to the truthful and pious LEOs.

OTOH, I wonder if the funeral home gave them a twofer? ;)

bob