Author Topic: Whoa... Ukrainian counterattack breaks through to the Russian border  (Read 1054 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
This is huge...

Apparently Russia was expecting a counteroffensive in the south so they moved a bunch of troops down from the North.

The counteroffensive came in the North, and it's not going well for Russia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/situation-more-difficult-by-the-hour-ukrainian-forces-break-through-to-russian-border-live-updates/ar-AA11JlD5?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=887fd41c1cff4447afec44bc867659bf

There are also growing rumors of unrest within the Kremlin leadership to the point where several officials were allegedly arrested in the past week, allegedly for questioning the military strategy and purpose in Ukraine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
Re: Whoa... Ukrainian counterattack breaks through to the Russian border
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 09:53:26 AM »
Keep going on, Ukraine. Moscow aint that much further on down the road. Push Putin back to the other side of the Urals.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 09:54:51 AM »
I am curious if there are logistics points within reach they can attack, but if they just force Russia to pull support from other areas, it could help.  Hopefully, Ukraine isn't using up a lot of critical supplies doing this.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 10:13:49 AM »
From the Defense of Ukraine twitter account...

🇺🇦 will restore its territorial integrity, including Donbas and Crimea.
Prepare to swim, occupiers.

[popcorn]
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 10:17:27 AM »
I HOPE things are going as well for this Ukrainian counterattack as the news makes it out to be.

If they're right up to the Russian border, I wonder if their artillery and missiles can hit major military staging and supply areas - maybe even military airports - that are actually in Russia; if Ukrainian special forces are actually any good, they SHOULD have people - small, sneaky teams - infiltrated into Russia for scouting purposes, if nothing else.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 10:19:23 AM »
The Ukraine reddit and funker530 continue to be a wealth of info. My biggest worry now is that Russia loses so badly a nuke or two seems like a good idea. They already are missile striking pretty much the entire power grid. For weeks now a large portion of the Russians across the dnieper River were dependent on a few bridges and pontoon bridges. Ukraine has been whacking them without relent.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 10:25:06 AM »
Grey area is retaken terr

As you can see from the 2nd map they've been doing a bit of push back in the south as well

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 10:31:47 AM »
The Ukraine reddit and funker530 continue to be a wealth of info. My biggest worry now is that Russia loses so badly a nuke or two seems like a good idea. They already are missile striking pretty much the entire power grid. For weeks now a large portion of the Russians across the dnieper River were dependent on a few bridges and pontoon bridges. Ukraine has been whacking them without relent.

I did read where western powers said that attacking a nuke plant with radiation release would be an Article 5.  For the same reasons, I think lighting off a nuke would also be.

Doesn't mean Russia won't do it, but the west is trying to put some boundaries up.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 10:39:16 AM »
For those interested in verifiable information on this conflict, I have found this twitter account very useful:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical

I am still concerned about a Russian over reaction when they start losing Crimea.  You also have to wonder if Russia will be back in another 5or 6 years if they do lose. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 11:03:00 AM »
The Ukraine reddit and funker530 continue to be a wealth of info. My biggest worry now is that Russia loses so badly a nuke or two seems like a good idea.

Hopefully he's both smart and sane enough to not do that. Problem is I'm having doubts on the sane part and he could see it as a face saving measure.
Hopefully someone in the Kremlin puts a bullet into his head if he tries to go route.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 12:28:01 PM »
Hopefully he's both smart and sane enough to not do that. Problem is I'm having doubts on the sane part and he could see it as a face saving measure.
Hopefully someone in the Kremlin puts a bullet into his head if he tries to go route.

Kinda like the ones that tried to get rid of hitler. Extreme downside risks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 12:55:19 PM »
I did read where western powers said that attacking a nuke plant with radiation release would be an Article 5.  For the same reasons, I think lighting off a nuke would also be.

Doesn't mean Russia won't do it, but the west is trying to put some boundaries up.
I would guess (note I said guess) that the direction of the fallout drift would play a role in the West's response.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 01:07:01 PM »
I would guess that NATO doesn't (currently) have the balls to attack Russia over what they will claim is collateral damage.  That's if they don't blame the Ukrainians.  There will be an "investigation" and it will be ascribed by NATO as a fog of war incident with a stern warning.

A nuclear weapon touching off is a lot harder to ignore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 02:28:00 PM »
There are also growing rumors of unrest within the Kremlin leadership to the point where several officials were allegedly arrested in the past week, allegedly for questioning the military strategy and purpose in Ukraine.

Wasn't there a Fox News story to that effect late last week?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 02:34:24 PM »
I'm having a hard time believing that the ruskies will just say, "nevermind" and pull out. I mean, I know they kind of did that in Afghanistan, but this is somewhat different. Unless there's a coup against Vlad and his boys, I'm afraid that the Russians are going to do something serious that affects more than Ukraine (and I don't mean just cutting off energy to Europe) if they continue to lose ground.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 03:19:34 PM »
I'm having a hard time believing that the ruskies will just say, "nevermind" and pull out. I mean, I know they kind of did that in Afghanistan, but this is somewhat different. Unless there's a coup against Vlad and his boys, I'm afraid that the Russians are going to do something serious that affects more than Ukraine (and I don't mean just cutting off energy to Europe) if they continue to lose ground.
When someone contemplates ratcheting up the violence, they should be counseled about the dial and the switch . . .

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 03:21:02 PM »
Here's a link to YouTube video that just dropped from Peter Zeihan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAD684eczq8

The gist of it is that this is a shocking rout but, historically, Russia has some history of recovering from military disasters.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 03:22:58 PM »

Article 5 of what, the UN Charter?  NATO? (Ukraine is not a member.)  Some other treaty?
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 03:37:36 PM »
Article 5 of what, the UN Charter?  NATO? (Ukraine is not a member.)  Some other treaty?

NATO.  Collective defense.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 03:45:34 PM »
NATO.  Collective defense.

That's what I thought but I don't see how it applies. ???  From fallout drifting into Romania or Hungary?
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022, 04:14:31 PM »
That's what I thought but I don't see how it applies. ???  From fallout drifting into Romania or Hungary?

Presumably.

Conservative British member of parliament Tobias Ellwood, who chairs the House of Commons Defense Select Committee, cautioned that any nuclear accident at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant could draw NATO into the war between Russia and Ukraine.

Let’s make it clear now: any deliberate damage causing potential radiation leak to a Ukrainian nuclear reactor would be a breach of NATO’s Article 5,” he said Friday on Twitter.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 04:17:54 PM »
Think Putin is crazy enough to set off a WMD in Russian territory and blame it Ukraine in an attempt to rally Russian support for the war and justify doing the doing same x50 to Ukraine?
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 05:24:55 PM »
The Ukraine reddit and funker530 continue to be a wealth of info. My biggest worry now is that Russia loses so badly a nuke or two seems like a good idea.

Well, he is a megalomaniac, so...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 07:30:21 PM »

IIRC, fallout from the Chernobyl accident contaminated a large swath of Poland and what was then East Germany.

Both Poland and Germany are now NATO members.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 08:09:55 PM »
Posted this on another thread but it shows some good progress along with tons of equipment left behind by the Ruskies.  At 18:48 a Ukrainian almost made the casualty list as a round barely missed him.  It’s a sound you’ll never forget when it zips right by you…

https://fb.watch/fvwZU3J433/