Author Topic: Trivia  (Read 330 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Trivia
« on: September 13, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »
So, I may end up having to host a "Trivia Night" at a place here...

Sounds kinda cool, until you start looking into the mechanics of it... I figure I'll have the questions on screen, and they'll be multiple guess... But how to tally points? I think I can buy a few different Trivial Pursuit sets to get enough material, but how do you keep track of who is ahead in a timely fashion?
Blog under construction

castle key

• friend
Re: Trivia
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 09:49:47 AM »
I was the trivia host at an event a few months ago.

Ten tables playing as teams.

Twenty total questions.

Each team writes their answer and assigns a value of 0 - 10

Correct answers gain the wagered value and incorrect loses the wagered value.

Cumulative total wins.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 09:52:49 AM »
Maybe see if there's an Android / Apple app you can use.  It would likely provide the questions and answers, as well as tally points for the session.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 01:23:57 PM »
Trivia games can be fun . . . but as soon as the categories veer into things like Rap Music, Reality TV Shows, Soccer Stars, or CNN/MSNBC news anchors, that's my cue to get up and go get myself a sandwich.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 01:35:45 PM »
Trying to sort through the apps today. So many seem geared for "play against the online community" or something similar. Ideally, I'd like to have a "room" set up where people can log in with their phones, and send answers, and then have it keep score...

I'll let you know if I find something simple and useful.
Blog under construction

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 09:26:40 PM »
My older son (a college senior) does trivia night at a really cool bar near campus once a week.  It's a combination bar and book store.  Anyways, each week trivia has a theme (Star Wars night, military night, etc.)  Each team (up to 6 people) gets a small white board and dry erase markers to write down answers.  Two people run the event...the MC/judge a d the score keeper.  MC reads the question, calls each team to show their answer, and scores them up or down.  Score keeper has a large white board with the team names written on it, and he tracks correct answers.  Winner has most correct answers.  Ties are handled with sudden death questions.  Nightly winner gets a gift certificate.  Top ten teams for the semester were invited to champions night, with overall winning team getting $500.  Bar makes a lot of money on beer and bar food on trivia nights.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 11:08:29 PM »
I have hosted several trivia nights at various businesses. I have found out that a google spreadsheet is what works best for me for keeping track of scores.. Writing questions suck too, I find out they are either too easy or too hard. I don't like multiple choice, best to go with one answer.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536