Author Topic: Philadelphia to Outlaw Bullet Resistant Glass  (Read 1378 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Philadelphia to Outlaw Bullet Resistant Glass
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:01:06 AM »
I'm not sure how you can restrict what is basically a building material being used inside a private structure. From the info in the article, it appears to be a totally SJW move. Don't want to hurt your potential killer's feelings you know.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/07/outrage-as-philly-pushes-through-ban-on-bulletproof-glass-in-crime-plagued-neighborhood-shops.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Philadelphia to Outlaw Bullet Resistant Glass
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:05:16 AM »
I just need to point out how hilarious it is that this thread is right above the "Make your own euthanasia machine" thread.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
From linked article:

Bass told Fox News that in “more than 90 percent of cases they are breaking the law in terms of operating outside the requirement of their license.”

Well clearly another law regulating how they do business is the answer to this scourge of "deli's" serving alcohol.

“It says that the Department of Licenses and Inspections will determine no later than January 1, 2021 whether protective barriers like safety glass should exist in any large restaurant establishment and enforce any regulations stemming from that decision,” Councilman David Oh said in a statement after the Monday hearing

This would be the same department tasked with enforcing the current regulations about serving food and having a seating area, no?  How's that working out?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »
Private structure being used as a store. It comes under increased supervision.

And this is NOT going to end well because there are a number of cases every year in Philly where someone tries to rob one of these small bodega type stores and ends up cranking a round or two into the glass partition.

These stupid *expletive deleted*s are going to be all shocked that there's going to be an increase in shootings in these stores, and they'll fall back on the "we need more gun control" argument.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »
Or a decrease in open bodegas.

Cue "Food dessert keeping minorities down!" wailing.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
Food dessert?

I'd like some food dessert, please!

Can I have whipped cream on it?

:rofl:

Yep. You're right. I'm betting a lot of these places would simply shut down vs running the risk of becoming Apu from the Simpsons...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »
So replace the glass with plate steel and cctv and see how much it hurts their feels.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
So replace the glass with plate steel and cctv and see how much it hurts their feels.

Or simply do away with any interior service at all. Lock the doors, install a camera and intercom, and deliver the purchases through a drawer like at a bank or pharmacy drive-thru.

As to the comment about toilet rooms -- the national plumbing code requires all businesses classified as either restaurant or "mercantile" (and any stop-n-rob would fall under one of these two) to provide toilet facilities for customers. If many of them in Philadelphia don't -- shame on their code inspectors for not enforcing the code.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »
Read the article.  This is about folks trying to get around liquor laws.

The got a license as a restaurant/eatery so they could sell booze, then don't make food, allow people to sit inside or otherwise be a restaurant.  They sell shots and beer over the counter (through bulletproof glass) and let the drunk thugs hang out on the sidewalk and harass passerby.  And apparently piss in the street.

I can see why the city is annoyed, but it seems the appropriate response is to enforce the liquor laws and pull licenses, rather than force the clerks to get shot.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 03:31:11 PM »
I can see why the city is annoyed, but it seems the appropriate response is to enforce the liquor laws and pull licenses, rather than force the clerks to get shot.

Of course that would make the most sense, but we can't be passing laws and ordinances targeting the problem. Like gun laws, we have to target everyone -- out of fairness.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »

The got a license as a restaurant/eatery so they could sell booze, then don't make food, allow people to sit inside or otherwise be a restaurant.  They sell shots and beer over the counter (through bulletproof glass) and let the drunk thugs hang out on the sidewalk and harass passerby.  And apparently piss in the street.

I agree -- and that's the point. It's the  same game as the gun grabbers play. Don't start by enforcing the laws already on the books, because that doesn't get you political credit for being proactive. Instead, the "solution" to every problem is to pass more feel-good laws that can't possibly solve the original problem, but will almost certainly create new ones.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 04:59:46 PM »
Business as normal...just *expletive deleted*ing Democrats serving criminals their constituients
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:43:10 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »

Hum...

I like it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 05:51:46 PM »

I can see why the city is annoyed, too.

But as far as I can tell, this law isn't going to affect only the beer & shot stops, it's going to affect the little grocery stores that serve the worst areas in Philly, places where Giant Eagle, Safeway, Pathmark and other won't even dare to venture.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »
1. Pull down roll-up door.
2. Make sign " I assure you we are open."
3. ??? Go play hockey!
4. Have customers leave profit on unattended counter.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 06:41:28 PM »
Fox News previously reported the bill, put forward by Councilwoman Cindy Bass, focuses on “stop-and-go” convenience stores that act more like bars than the restaurants they are licensed to be, selling beer and shots of liquor over the counter and attracting crowds that end up becoming public nuisances, according to lawmakers.

Pennsylvania state law mandates businesses with restaurant licenses should regularly sell food and have tables and chairs to seat 30 people. But some businesses keep their seating locked up or out of reach and the grills shut down, selling little more than alcohol and forcing customers to wander outside.

So maybe the City of Brotherly Love should just start cracking down on convenience stores that are masquerading as "restaurants" in order to sell beer and booze by the serving rather than by the bottle or six pack. Trying to ban the glass is just taking a VERY sideways approach to a problem that's really already a violation of existing licensing laws. Just enforce the law.

And I'm pretty sure that Philadelphia uses a version of the International Plumbing Code. Restaurants are required to provide a minimum of one water closet for each 75 occupants or fraction thereof -- and must provide separate facilities for men and women (unless the total occupant load, including customers and employees, is 15 or fewer). So if these places are calling themselves "restaurants" and have seating areas, the toilet rooms have to be provided and must be available to the public whenever the building is open for business.

If they classify themselves as "mercantile," (which is what a convenience store without seating would be), then the ratio is 1 water closet per 500 occupants or fraction thereof. Again, there have to be separate toilet rooms for men and women, except "Separate facilities shall not be required in mercantile occupancies in which the maximum occupant load is 100 or fewer." That would cover most convenience stores. But they still have to have at least one toilet room available to the public.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 10:57:41 PM »
1. Pull down roll-up door.
2. Make sign " I assure you we are open."
3. ??? Go play hockey!
4. Have customers leave profit on unattended counter.

5. Invite wise guy up to roof  to lose your ball.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »
So when are they banning fire resistant building materials?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »

Well there you go, drunks get hungry and when they can't get food at the restaurant they shoot the place up. It is Philly after all. Put a vending machine with sammiches in there and there's your food. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 07:58:42 PM »

True. Found a follow-up article today: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/crime/council-bill-removal-safety-glass-windows-beer-delis-meeting-20171208.html

Curious that just about all the "beer deli" owners mentioned or quoted in the article seem to be Chinese. And a couple of the anecdotes related wiould suggest that their "beer delis" aren't located in Chinatown. I think it's pretty clear that Mr. Mush has the right of it.