Author Topic: Looking for an offset firebox smoker?  (Read 4832 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Looking for an offset firebox smoker?
« on: March 09, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
Woot has Charbroil ones on sale right now.

https://tools.woot.com/offers/char-broil-american-gourmet-smokers?ref=w_cnt_cdet_tool_dly_wobtn

Seems to be decent prices.

If I had a bit more room in my yard I'd really consider getting one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Looking for an offset firebox smoker?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:00 AM »
The char-broil smokers I've seen are pretty lightly built.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »
Cheap enough but yeah those are light duty.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »
Mike, in my opinion, if yard space is a concern, look at getting a Weber kettle charcoal grill.  You can do a lot of smoking on one of those, it takes up very little space, and my kettle was bought new in 1987 as a gift for my father. 

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001-Original-22-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B00004RALU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1520606929&sr=8-7&keywords=weber+kettle+grills

$99, and free Prime shipping.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 10:06:46 AM »
I have a Charbroil grill and to call them "light duty" makes me wonder what you consider "heavy duty".

The Weber up there is lightly and cheaply built (no offense, Chris.) My charbroil is a good deal heftier than the Weber.

Getting the offset would be a nice way to turn it into a dedicated smoker.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »
"Mike, in my opinion, if yard space is a concern, look at getting a Weber kettle charcoal grill."

Got one. Love it. I do use it for smoking, but I find that it runs a little hot for some purposes.

I'm going to be smoking a turkey on it in the coming weeks.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
Light duty isn't a bad thing if the device is durable.

And Weber kettles are nothing if not durable.

The first one I had was my exwife's family's. She left it behind when we divorced.

Her father bought it new in 1972. It finally crapped out on me in 1999 or 2000.

The Weber's design makes them extremely durable as long as ashes are removed from the base and it's given at least some protection from the elements.

I know some feel that any BBQ/grill that's not made from left-over armor plate from the USS Montana is a cheap flimsy piece of crap that won't last for more than 30 seconds of being looked at.... they're idiots.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:20:43 AM »
I have a Charbroil grill and to call them "light duty" makes me wonder what you consider "heavy duty".

The Weber up there is lightly and cheaply built (no offense, Chris.) My charbroil is a good deal heftier than the Weber.

Getting the offset would be a nice way to turn it into a dedicated smoker.

The one I built of a similar style was fabricated out of 1/4" steel. After 19 years regular use and always out in the weather it seems to be holding up pretty well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 11:09:14 AM »
Maybe they have some that are heavier but the cheaper ones that I've seen are pretty light.
3x the price but I like my pit barrel. Not a big fan of the offset smokers since they seem to require constant monitoring and fussing or at least that's my impression.
I still use a Webber kettle that is over 20 years old and a Webber lp gas grill when speed and convenience are a priority.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »
I've had good luck with webber grills.  I loved my Baby Q until it was lost in an... incident.  I intend to replace it this year with a similar baby q.

On smokers, I really like mine made out of fairly thick steel, not so much because a sheetmetal model will rust through (Webbers paint is pretty darn good), but because the sheetmetal ones I had before didn't have the thermal mass to easily smooth out temperature fluxuations.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 01:19:38 PM »
My experiences with CharBroils was pretty good, but I never got more than a couple of years out of them before rust ate them too much to function any longer.  I keep my grills covered, but even that didn't help the Char broil grills.  My Weber, by comparison, have far longer service lives between part replacements due to rust, wear, etc.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark