Author Topic: Burn in Hell Panhandlers  (Read 1202 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Burn in Hell Panhandlers
« on: August 11, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »
So this is apparently a popular panhandling method, but I only ran into it for the first time today. Busy intersection with stoplights. Panhandlers holding signs that say "Please help us bury our father" "Please help us bury our grandfather". 30s-40s aged people - about a half dozen adults and a couple of 10ish year old kids (standing in busy traffic).

You know, for just a couple of seconds, what with the 8x10 photo of the poor grandpa on all the signs and stuff, I almost went, "I should..." then "Wait a second! Since when does the county let a body rot if people can't afford to pay?!"

What a rotten way to panhandle. I looked it up when I got home, and this is usually done with "grandparents" or small children/babies, whose photos are taken off the interwebz. It's apparently not illegal (at least in CA). What absolutely filthy excuses for human beings.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Burn in Hell Panhandlers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
Now if the sign said 'Please help us build a Viking funeral pyre for Gramps', I would be far more inclined to throw them a few bucks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »
My gramp's health meter went from yellow to red to nothing in like three seconds as he sat in his favorite chair watching the Lawrence Welk show.

Can I get some monies?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »
Whole-family pan-handling? That works?  ???  I'd think they'd get a lot more sympathy (money) by working separately.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:32:33 PM »
Whole-family pan-handling? That works?  ???  I'd think they'd get a lot more sympathy (money) by working separately.

It's actually quite common. While this is my first time on the "funeral" front, I've more than once seen the "We're out of gas and trying to move our family to a new job" trick. In Kettleman City, CA, which is kind of a major rest stop town that intersects I5, I used to see it all the time. For about a year it was the same older pickup/camper. The funny part was that the families kept changing. Different people -- white, hispanic, etc. Same vehicle and same signs. Guess they were working in shifts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 04:35:34 AM »
It's actually quite common. While this is my first time on the "funeral" front, I've more than once seen the "We're out of gas and trying to move our family to a new job" trick. In Kettleman City, CA, which is kind of a major rest stop town that intersects I5, I used to see it all the time. For about a year it was the same older pickup/camper. The funny part was that the families kept changing. Different people -- white, hispanic, etc. Same vehicle and same signs. Guess they were working in shifts.

Probably union labor.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »
And then when the police show up to give them the boot, a bunch of morons on Facebook go apeshit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.