Poll

How much should 4 years of tuition at a public university be?

FREE!
Whatever the university wants

Author Topic: How much should college tuition be?  (Read 8396 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: How much should college tuition be?
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 10:37:29 PM »
I guess I should have said something along the lines of "all government subsidy of student expenses" not just scholarships and grants. That is what I was getting at in the first place.

Ah.  I have to be careful with that as well.  See 'unrestricted' vs 'unlimited'.  Do you consider the GI bill a scholarship or grant?  I think that if you make them work 4 years for it it's not bad.  Also, things like scholarships for the children of fallen soldiers aren't bad.

But any scholarship or grant should be earned.  Whether it's by service before the grant, or agreeing to serve after - IE get the military to pay for your medical degree, but they have you for a decade once you graduate to pay for it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 07:43:47 AM »
Ah.  I have to be careful with that as well.  See 'unrestricted' vs 'unlimited'.  Do you consider the GI bill a scholarship or grant?  I think that if you make them work 4 years for it it's not bad.  Also, things like scholarships for the children of fallen soldiers aren't bad.

But any scholarship or grant should be earned.  Whether it's by service before the grant, or agreeing to serve after - IE get the military to pay for your medical degree, but they have you for a decade once you graduate to pay for it.

The GI bill is neither I would say, not sure what to call it but it is neither.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
Ah.  I have to be careful with that as well.  See 'unrestricted' vs 'unlimited'.  Do you consider the GI bill a scholarship or grant?  I think that if you make them work 4 years for it it's not bad.  Also, things like scholarships for the children of fallen soldiers aren't bad.

But any scholarship or grant should be earned.  Whether it's by service before the grant, or agreeing to serve after - IE get the military to pay for your medical degree, but they have you for a decade once you graduate to pay for it.
Whenever we talk about people getting free money from the government (like welfare and food stamps), someone always seems to assume we are talking about armed forces benefits and retirements.  Why is that?  GI Bill and military retirements benefits are not free or unearned.  

I guess it is similar to talking about money giveaways that are under the umbrella of social security.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
The GI bill is neither I would say, not sure what to call it but it is neither.

Earned job benefit.  No less than an education benefit in any other job contract.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 07:48:52 AM »
It's GOT to be free!

How else will anyone ever be able to afford a 4 year degree in the Sexism and the Origins of Proto Incan Basket Weaving?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.