Author Topic: Any Word On How To Dispose Used Masks?  (Read 893 times)

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
Any Word On How To Dispose Used Masks?
« on: August 21, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
This raises another question: What is a person supposed to do with their Covid infested masks at the end of the day? Do you simply toss them in the trash? Shouldn't they be incinerated or something?  :facepalm:

I haven't seen a PSA about this!  :old:

Woody

"Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Any Word On How To Dispose Used Masks?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
Leave them lie in the street, like everyone else.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:38:43 AM »
It's absolutely amazing just how many masks and gloves people have simply tossed onto the ground.

No, not amazing... disgusting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »

...Or mail them to the CDC - - - for analysis, of course!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:45:21 AM »

And be accused of cultural appropriation? No thanks
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
Just save 'em up and toss them on your weekly tire fire. Throw on a gallon or two of used motor oil to get good hot sterilizing temperatures.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 11:10:02 AM »
Really guys? ? :facepalm:

If you use cloth masks wash them with your socks and underwear.  They're reusable.  The cheap paper kind,  toss in the trash, that works just fine. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 11:14:40 AM »
In terms of disposing the paper masks, if I knew I was contaminated, I would burn them, or dispose of them in the trash after first putting them in a plain plastic bag and pouring some bleach on them.  The waste management people freak out when they spot a red biohazard bag in the household garbage.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 11:28:46 AM »
It's absolutely amazing just how many masks and gloves people have simply tossed onto the ground.

No, not amazing... disgusting.

So a few years back I got a smallpox inoculation, rather rare for a genX like me. In fact all 3000 of us on the ship got one. Cue three weeks of funky bandaids in the showers and everywhere else.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
I just dump them in my regular household trash. I get more use out of masks since I built a death box (UVC germicidal lamps inside) and can sanitize them after use.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
I just toss my paper ones in the trash. I wear them multiple times until they start to look dirty. No sanitizing between uses. I only wear them to make various establishments I visit happy. If I were on a plane trip or something, I'd probably use once and toss given the close quarters. But for around town, I just wear them to satisfy the beer virus dog and pony show.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »
Use them as rocket wadding. Share the love.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
I just throw them in with the bottles of waste oil that I put in a plastic sack and throw in the garbage.  They just take that stuff to the huge incinerator anyway to be burned up.  Just doing my part to increase the intensity of the fire to properly burn the trash to save Mother Erf.   
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 11:18:49 AM »
I just throw them in with the bottles of waste oil that I put in a plastic sack and throw in the garbage.  They just take that stuff to the huge incinerator anyway to be burned up.  Just doing my part to increase the intensity of the fire to properly burn the trash to save Mother Erf.  

Would old masks be useful for making Molotov cocktails?  Sent them to your local rioters for re-use.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
I just flush mine down the toilet.  (not *my* toilet, a public toilet)  HTH :)
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 02:43:58 PM »
I hand my used ones out to vagrants and indigent, it's nice to share what you have with the unfortunate
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 10:39:39 PM »
I hand my used ones out to vagrants and indigent, it's nice to share what you have with the unfortunate
:facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero