Author Topic: JPG color change?  (Read 512 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
JPG color change?
« on: August 24, 2020, 03:11:17 AM »
Do you know of any programs, apps, or on-line tools that will quickly replace a color in a JPG image?

I have an image that I want to use as a background in replicating some small, business card-size forms that no longer available from the original source. I have a good, clear B&W copy of the image. I can grey it out and use it as a grey watermark behind the text, but the card I want to replicate has the logo in a light blue. I need a way to wave a magic wand over the image and change anything that's black to blue.

Do you have any suggestions? I have MS Paint (both the XP and current versions), but I think this job is too much for Paint. I don't want to spend endless hours replacing the color one pixel at a time. I'm sure Photoshop can do it, but I don't have Photoshop.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: JPG color change?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 08:37:18 AM »
There are several freeware photoshop type programs. Gimp is the one I hear the most praise of.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 09:54:32 AM »
You can do this in powerpoint as long as you are OK with one of the blues they have as theme colors.  (You can get more color choices by changing themes, but it's kinda trial and error to find one you like)

Insert the JPEG on a blank slide->Picture tools Format->Color (in the adjust tab)->Recolor (pick a blue)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »
There are several freeware photoshop type programs. Gimp is the one I hear the most praise of.

I have Gimp and, no matter how many times I try it, it continues to baffle me. I have read that it has a steep learning curve, and I can attest to that.

I did find an incredibly easy solution, though: a freeware image viewer called Faststone. https://www.faststone.org/download.htm

Open the file, select "Adjust colors," and move the slider to increase the amount of blue. Done.

I am in awe of the number of truly useful, and free, programs that are out there that many people aren't aware of. Freeware programs literally made it possible for me to do my job when I was on a temporary gig and the company didn't want to either assign me a notebook computer or assign me a license for Acrobat because I wasn't a regular, full-time employee.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design