Author Topic: Driver ticketed for using biofuel  (Read 5186 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Driver ticketed for using biofuel
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:18:59 PM »
Driver ticketed for using biofuel
Vegetable oil sticks him with $1,000 fine
Bruce Henderson, The Charlotte Observer
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/599471.html

Bob Teixeira decided it was time to take a stand against U.S. dependence on foreign oil.
So last fall the Charlotte musician and guitar instructor spent $1,200 to convert his 1981 diesel Mercedes to run on vegetable oil. He bought soybean oil in 5-gallon jugs at Costco, spending about 30 percent more than diesel would cost.

His reward, from a state that heavily promotes alternative fuels: a $1,000 fine last month for not paying motor fuel taxes. He has been told to expect another $1,000 fine from the federal government.

To legally use veggie oil, state officials told him, he would have to first post a $2,500 bond.

Teixeira is one of a growing number of fuel-it-yourselfers -- backyard brewers who recycle restaurant grease or make moonshine for their car tanks. They do it to save money, reduce pollution or thumb their noses at oil sheiks.

They're also caught in a web of little-known state laws that can stifle energy independence.

State Sen. Stan Bingham, R-Denton, is known around Raleigh for his diesel Volkswagen fueled by used soybean oil. The car sports a "Goodbye, OPEC" sign.

"If somebody was going to go to this much trouble to drive around in a car that uses soybean oil, they ought to be exempt" from state taxes, he said.

The state Department of Revenue, which fined Teixeira, has asked legislators to waive the $2,500 bond for small fuel users. The department also told Teixeira, after the Observer asked about his case this week, that it will compromise on his fine.

But officials say they'll keep pursuing taxes on all fuels used in highway vehicles. With its 29.9-cent a gallon gas tax, the state collects $1.2 billion each year to pay for road construction.

"With the high cost of fuel right now, the department does recognize that a lot of people are looking for relief," said Reggie Little, assistant director of the motor fuel taxes division. "We're not here to hurt the small guy, we're just trying to make sure that the playing field is level."

Alternative support

State policies firmly endorse alternative fuels.

In 2005 legislators directed state agencies to replace 20 percent of their annual petroleum use with alternatives by 2010. About 6,000 of the state's 8,500 vehicles are equipped to use ethanol. The state fleet also includes about 135 gas-electric hybrids.

Few states, however, are prepared to regulate the new fuels, says the National VegOil Board, which promotes vegetable oil fuel.

"State offices do not have the forms to appropriately and fairly deal with VegOil, nor the staff to enforce the nonexistent forms," said director Cynthia Shelton. "So either they tell people inquiring about compliance to get lost, or they make them jump a bunch of arbitrary hoops."

Outraged Illinois legislators this spring quickly waived that state's $2,500 bond requirement when an elderly man was nabbed for using waste vegetable oil.

In the mountain district of state Sen. John Snow, D-Cherokee, home-brewed ethanol was once known as moonshine. But a couple of constituents who made it for fuel have been fined for the same tax violation that got Teixeira in trouble.

Snow has introduced several bills to promote biodiesel, which under state law includes vegetable oil.

"One of the biggest problems in the state is a real lack of information for people who want to use alternative fuels," said Snow's research assistant, Jonathan Ducote. "It's just now appearing on [regulators'] radar."

Speedway sting

Teixeira's story began near Lowe's Motor Speedway on May 14. As recreational vehicles streamed in for race week, revenue investigators were checking fuel tanks of diesel RVs for illegal fuel.

The investigators spotted Teixeira's passing bumper sticker: "Powered by 100% vegetable oil."

"It was like some twist of fate that put me there," he said. "It was like I was asking for them to stop me."

Teixeira says revenue officials are just doing their jobs. But he thinks it's unfair that he was lumped with people who purposely try to avoid fuel taxes.

"Individuals who are trying to do the right thing environmentally cannot and should not continue to take this kind of financial hit," he wrote Gov. Mike Easley.

He'll pay the state fine and apply for a state fuel license.

"I'm ready to get myself legal," he said, "and start using vegetable oil again."

brimic

• friends
Re: Driver ticketed for using biofuel
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:33:12 PM »
I guess the government doesn't like it when people find an alternative to paying regressive taxes sad
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:26:46 PM »
So what the heck do they do about electric cars Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 02:49:56 PM »
So what the heck do they do about electric cars
They will probably make you file a weekly or monthly mileage report with taxes paid on the total mileage used.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 02:52:24 PM »
Well, you already pay a tax on electricity so it must be ok. rolleyes

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 03:36:25 PM »
"Well, you already pay a tax on electricity so it must be ok."

He also paid state sales tax on that soybean oil, so he's already paid his tax on it.

Un ****ing believable.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »
So what the heck do they do about electric cars
They will probably make you file a weekly or monthly mileage report with taxes paid on the total mileage used.
Thats probably the next thing coming down the pipe. If the gas prices remain high and a lot more people start buying fuel efficient cars or switch to alternative fuels, decreasing the the government's revenue on fuel taxes, they'll have to make up the shortfall somehow.

Didn't they propose something like that in England?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 06:55:13 PM »
If the gas prices remain high and a lot more people start buying fuel efficient cars or switch to alternative fuels, decreasing the the government's revenue on fuel taxes, they'll have to make up the shortfall somehow.
I have read on the internet where there is already talk about this.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 07:22:04 PM »
They busted a bunch of folks in Merry Olde England over buying cheap cooking oil and running it in their diesel automobiles. 

Evidently, diesel fuel for British automotive use has a dye added to it so it can be identified as a taxable fuel.  When folks bought pallet loads of vegetable oil to run in their diesel cars during a shortage in the winter of 2, authorities were alerted, and folks got fined for tax evasion:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20060123/ai_n16017001
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 07:51:12 PM »
Psst, don't tell anybody, but home heating oil is the same as #2 Diesel. 

Propane is a vey good fuel also.

That is the reason Diesel and propane fueled truckers have to carry fuel recripts for the inspectors to check to see if they have been buying motor fuel and paying their fuel tax. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 10:28:11 PM »
"We're not here to hurt the small guy, we're just trying to make sure that the playing remains unlevel."
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Vile Nylons

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 05:56:35 AM »
Really motivational for the little guy recycling McD's fryer grease.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 06:24:32 AM »
Psst, don't tell anybody, but home heating oil is the same as #2 Diesel.

It also has red dye in it and if you get caught with any red in your fuel (and they do check trucks for compliance by dipping their tanks) you will be in a heap of trouble.
For a while there was a fuel additive which was red (called Power Service) which was causing truckers some problems at inspections. Its no longer red.

That is the reason Diesel and propane fueled truckers have to carry fuel recripts for the inspectors to check to see if they have been buying motor fuel and paying their fuel tax.
I have never had a creeper cop check my fuel receipts (or check my fuel receipts, period) for fuel tax compliance. I don't know about the propane fueled truckers though.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 06:47:47 AM »
It also has red dye in it and if you get caught with any red in your fuel (and they do check trucks for compliance by dipping their tanks) you will be in a heap of trouble.

Hmm, I wonder if I could start a little cottage industy of running heating oil through an activated charcoal filter to remove the coloration.... cool

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 07:02:41 AM »
Okay next question: when are they going to start arresting bicyclists Huh?

rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

onions!

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 07:08:32 AM »
If the gas prices remain high and a lot more people start buying fuel efficient cars or switch to alternative fuels, decreasing the the government's revenue on fuel taxes, they'll have to make up the shortfall somehow.
I have read on the internet where there is already talk about this.
States Mull Taxing Drivers By Mile

CORVALLIS, Ore., Feb. 14, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CBS) College student Jayson Just commutes an odometer-spinning 2,000 miles a month. As CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes reports, his monthly gas bill once topped his car payment.

"I was paying about $500 a month," says Just.

So Just bought a fuel efficient hybrid and said goodbye to his gas-guzzling BMW.

And what kind of mileage does he get?

"The EPA estimate is 60 in the city, 51 on the highway," says Just.

And that saves him almost $300 a month in gas. It's great for Just but bad for the roads he's driving on, because he also pays a lot less in gasoline taxes which fund highway projects and road repairs. As more and more hybrids hit the road, cash-strapped states are warning of rough roads ahead.

Officials in car-clogged California are so worried they may be considering a replacement for the gas tax altogether, replacing it with something called "tax by the mile."

Seeing tax dollars dwindling, neighboring Oregon has already started road testing the idea.

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that," says engineer David Kim.

Kim and fellow researcher David Porter at Oregon State University equipped a test car with a global positioning device to keep track of its mileage. Eventually, every car would need one.

"So, if you drive 10 miles you will pay a certain fee which will be, let's say, one tenth of what someone pays if they drive 100 miles," says Kim.

The new tax would be charged each time you fill up. A computer inside the gas pump would communicate with your car's odometer to calculate how much you owe.

The system could also track how often you drive during rush hour and charge higher fees to discourage peak use. That's an idea that could break the bottleneck on California's freeways.

"We're getting a lot of interest from other states," says Jim Whitty of the Oregon Department of Transportation. "They're watching what we're doing.

"Transportation officials across the country are concerned about what's going to happen with the gas tax revenues."

Privacy advocates say it's more like big brother riding on your bumper, not to mention a disincentive to buy fuel-efficient cars.

"It's not fair for people like me who have to commute, and we don't have any choice but take the freeways," says Just. "We shouldn't have to be taxed."

But tax-by-mile advocates say it may be the only way to ensure that fuel efficiency doesn't prevent smooth sailing down the road.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 07:25:25 AM »
But tax-by-mile advocates say it may be the only way to ensure that fuel efficiency doesn't prevent smooth sailing down the road.

So, they gripe about people using to much fuel, then when they actually cut down on their fuel use, they get penalized. Might as well keep driving that Suburban.
Aside from the fact that more fuel efficient cars tend to cause less wear and tear on the road because they tend to be lighter.

The system could also track how often you drive during rush hour and charge higher fees to discourage peak use. That's an idea that could break the bottleneck on California's freeways.
Most people I know do not drive during rush hour because they like to. What do they think everyone is going to do, sit at work for an extra couple of hours to avoid getting charged more?
Of course they don't. Its all about revenue (obviously).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 08:53:49 AM »
As far as I know, Oregon abandoned that idea.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 08:59:59 AM »
"Hmm, I wonder if I could start a little cottage industy of running heating oil through an activated charcoal filter to remove the coloration...."

I don't thing it works, unfortunately. People have tried. The dye is actually an aniline dye and can only be removed through a chemical process.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 10:32:46 AM »
Most people I know do not drive during rush hour because they like to. What do they think everyone is going to do, sit at work for an extra couple of hours to avoid getting charged more?
Of course they don't. Its all about revenue (obviously).

No, but they might actually convince their bosses that a 8-5 work schedule isn't for everybody.  Have a set of 6-3 workers and a set of 9-6 or even 10-7 workers and you'd spread traffic out a lot more.  That or incresase benefits for carpooling.

Though I'd prefer that instead of increasing highways even more they started building a PRT system.

Done right, PRT can be faster than cars even in unobstructed traffic, works on a demand basis, people don't have to share cars, and is non-stop to your destination, so you don't have the problem of 'what if the bus doesn't go to my destination or home?'.

Really, a few stations in the suburbs, a few in the malls, major employers, and government offices and you could eliminate much of the driving on the road.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »
As far as I know, Oregon abandoned that idea.
Nope. It's just on the back burner for now.  Once they figure a way to ram it down our throats, it will be done.
As of the last election, we now have an all Democrat legislature.  It will be easier for them the next time around.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 12:06:22 PM »
The new tax would be charged each time you fill up. A computer inside the gas pump would communicate with your car's odometer to calculate how much you owe.

Right ... so how's that gonna work with my 1976 3/4 ton GMC ...?   laugh

But hey!  I'm all for something different than gasoline tax.  I get tired of paying road taxes on my lawn mower and tractor, not to mention the driving that I do strictly on my own property (hauling wood, building fence, driving over to the horse corral).

I dunno if the county gets any gasoline tax money (?) but I think it's strictly property tax (I pay enough of that).  That means I shouldn't pay any road tax on the miles I drive on county roads, and pay tax only when I drive on the federal or state hiways.  From my house it is ten miles to the nearest hiway.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
If they enact that pay-by-the-mile scheme, I predict bypasses showing up on the net no more than 1 month after the specs are released.

Besides, there's no reason the computer couldn't just live in my garage most of the time. Cheesy
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Iain

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 03:10:51 PM »
"Hmm, I wonder if I could start a little cottage industy of running heating oil through an activated charcoal filter to remove the coloration...."

I don't thing it works, unfortunately. People have tried. The dye is actually an aniline dye and can only be removed through a chemical process.
I believe that the IRA partly funded their operations through scrubbing red diesel and selling it on.

Over here red diesel is available to some (farmers for use in tractors for example) and little to no duty is paid on it. Getting caught with it in a vehicle that it was not intended for will lead to problems.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 04:19:37 PM »
Can't short change the mafia their extortion.......er the govt their trib.......uh...taxes.

You watch. The govt will start head hunting Willie Nelson here soon. He's one of the biggest proponents of biofuel and makes it well known all his vehicles run on it.

Our govt does not want us energy independent. Doing so would mess up their little globalization plan.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.