Author Topic: Gardenburger...blech.  (Read 6735 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Gardenburger...blech.
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »
Well, I wandered up to the crap-eteria to grab a burger and a salad, and apparently someone got something mixed up.

Gardenburger instead of good ol' beef.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Boca burgers (they are actually pretty good) but this was... well, it's in the garbage. Yuck.

Par for the course, today.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Gardenburger...blech.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:34:03 AM »
I can work with Boca burgers.

After eating a Gardenburger, I have the most gawd-awful tasting burps all day long.  Never knew soy could do that...  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »
Sure it wasn't just well-done beef?  I've heard it tastes pretty bad.   rolleyes    laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 12:58:49 PM »
 grin

Nah, it was this greyish-orange light-colored muck.

Hamburgers (actually any cut of beef other than a ribeye) have to be well done. Something about the texture of not-quite-cooked beef turns me off.

Ribeyes are a cut above, (pun intended) and I am beginning to come around on that aspect.

I do understand where you're coming from, though.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »
Hamburgers (actually any cut of beef other than a ribeye) have to be well done.

Yeah, unless you want to get sick Sad

The deal with hamburger is that any bacteria on the surface of the piece of meat gets all stirred throughout during the grinding process.  A steak on the other hand, cooking on the outside kills any surface germs and there isn't likely to be anything bad in the middle.

No pink hamburger !  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »
Soy causes cancer and brain damage. Stay away from it.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 04:26:27 PM »

Seriously? Traditional consumers (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) of soy products tend to have very low instances of cancer. I'd like to see some docs on this.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 05:51:04 PM »

If it doesn't, it should.  Durn fake milk.  Grumble, grumble. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »
Hey, I'm lactose intolerant.
I HAVE to have soy milk. ;_;
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 06:02:18 PM »

As grisleyatoms asked, citation?

Durn fake milk.

You'd rather drink something that comes from a cow's teats?  EEEWWWWW!!!!

Different tastes for different palates.  After many years of using the soy & rice bases substitutes, I've lost my taste for real milk unless its been rotted to cheese or yogurt.  Same with burgers.  Even Bocaburgers are rather repugnant to me anymore since they look and feel like meat when eating them.  Gardenburgers don't and I prefer them as a result.  When I do eat meat, I want it to LOOK like meat and not some ground up mish-mash of who knows what.  Tuna/salmon steaks, catfish or a REAL steak with the muscle fibers intact and just a hint of blood.

I wanna feels the veins between my teeth!!!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »
I *LOVE* Gardenburgers.  I just wish they weren't so expensive.  I have them on sourdough bread with some cheese melted on top. 

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »
Meat flavored imitation meat and you're surprised it tastes like crap?

I eat a lot of soy products. I use Atkins bake mix quite a bit, low carb snack bars and I actually like some soy milks. I draw the line at wanna be meat. Besides I don't want to legitimize nazi vegan vegetabletarians by eating their fake food.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 08:13:40 PM »
Soy burgers may or may not cause cancer and brain damage.  But eating them will cause an uncontrollable urge to watch soccer.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 08:32:24 PM »
"Soy causes cancer and brain damage. Stay away from it."

Hum...

In the many links you've posted, I'm seeing a LOT of people who are claiming that soy causes cancer and brain damage, as well as a LOT of other claims about soy products.

What I'm NOT seeing, however, are any studies that actually provide conclusive, or even strong, evidence, that soy products cause cancer.

I'd say that's making a temporal jump based largely on assumptions, not evidence.

And this one -- http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_5629.cfm -- isn't even on point for the topic of the discussion!

It's about nutrition levels of soy products and the nutritional needs of infants.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 04:21:47 AM »
. . . You'd rather drink something that comes from a cow's teats?  EEEWWWWW!!!!
I've often thought that one of the bravest men in (pre)history was "Ugg" the  caveman that told his caveman buddies that he was going to go up to a prehistoric bovine, squeeze what was hanging out the bottom, and drink what came out.

One of the smartest men in prehistory was "Atuk" the caveman, who, after viewing "Ugg's" flattened and scattered remains, decided to demonstrate his bravery the same way . . . but with a prehistoric cow, rather than a bull . . . shocked

As for gardenburgers . . . sorry, I never developed a taste for cooked salad. (We need the barf smiley here . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Chris

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 04:58:51 AM »

Initially, there was a plethora of reports that soy causes disease.  Now there is a plethora of reports that soy cures disease. Pick one, you're gonna die anyway  laugh

So, eat an undercooked cow, wash it down with fermented grape juice, and be happy!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 05:09:58 AM »
around here a garden burger means

a beef burger with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Paddy

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 05:27:57 AM »
What I'm NOT seeing, however, are any studies that actually provide conclusive, or even strong, evidence, that soy products cause cancer.

Studies Showing Adverse Effects of Dietary Soy, 1971-2003
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/soy_studies.html

On this page are more references to 'studies' and a critique of how the 'studies' were conducted:
http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/soybreastcancer.htm

'Study' results seem to depend on who funded the study.  Go figure.

There is enough controversy to warrant staying away from the stuff, unless you really like it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 06:21:34 AM »
Soy has been a part of the traditionally healthy Japanese diet for centuries. I'm not seeing a correlation. Edamame, miso, natto, tamari, soymilk...they've always eaten LOTS of soy.

Miso soup is excellent for you, good for the digestion, all sorts of things. And a hot cup of miso tastes wonderful on a cold day.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 11:40:20 AM »

Everything causes cancer . . . in California.  I was looking at one of those little reusable insulated nylon lunchbags the other day.  It had a label on it that said it to wash your hands after handling it, especially before touching food, because it was known to cause cancer in California.  Did I mention it was a lunchbag?  Saturday, I got a USB audio connector cable thingy, took it out of the package and it has a warning on it about being known to cause cancer in California and that I should be careful to wash my hands every time I handle it.  So, it's reasonable to assume that soy causes cancer, at least in California. Tongue

I had a gardenburger a long time ago, but it was served with enough good beer to where I quickly forgot about the soy patty.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
I went through about half the links provided above.  What quackery and trash.  Long on conjecture and short on actual data (aside from a bunch of pop-culture assertions).  No supporting studies, at least not by anyone with a reasonably recognizeable medical presence.  It is a pretty good example of what happens when you get a tiny bit of real science (allergies and a few other actual soy-related issue) and mix in an unhealthy does of ignorance, conjecture, and new-age hysteria.

As an example...

From the DietNet link (frot.co.nz).  This was the entry number one in their Myth/Truth section, by the way.

Myth: Use of soy as a food dates back many thousands of years.
Truth: Soy was first used as a food during the late Chou dynasty (1134-246 BC), only after the Chinese learned to ferment soy beans to make foods like tempeh, natto and tamari.

Apparently the organic diet they are on has affected their ability to do basic math.  1134 BC to 2007 AD is a little over 3100 years.  I think that qualifies as "many thousands".  Sorry, I don't take my dietary or medical advice from someone who can't add.

And this little gem from the EMR Labs page (quantumbalancing.com).  This is a direct cut-and-paste of their Product List.

Advanced Bio-Photon Analyzer (ABPA A2)
GB-4000 Frequency Generator
Life Force 2000 Tri-Phase
Signature Energy Plates
Crystal Harmonizers
Rods of Ra - Technologies of Ancient Egypt - NEW!
IRx LED Photon Wand
Water Vortex Magnetizer
Secrets of Ancient Geometry

If I wanted my crystals harmonized, my water vortex magnetized, or my advanced bio-photons analyzed, I might call these quacks, but only as a last resort as I'm sure every local clinic probably has a GB-4000 Frequency Generator (or they should just because the name sounds so... so... technical).  I don't even want to know what the Rods of Ra are for.

Lordamighty some of the crap that floats around the net these days.  rolleyes

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 01:24:43 PM »
Hmm, what caliber for Signature Energy Plates?  grin

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »
Hmm, what caliber for Signature Energy Plates?  grin

I'm thinking 1.21 gigawatts through the Life Force 2000 Tri-Phase should be about right, but that's just me...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »

Advanced Bio-Photon Analyzer (ABPA A2)
GB-4000 Frequency Generator
Life Force 2000 Tri-Phase
Signature Energy Plates
Crystal Harmonizers
Rods of Ra - Technologies of Ancient Egypt - NEW!
IRx LED Photon Wand
Water Vortex Magnetizer
Secrets of Ancient Geometry

Scotty: "Captain, the crystal harmonizer is back online!"

Kirk: "Mr. Sulu, activate the energy plates."

Sulu: "Aye, sir."

Kirk: "Mr. Chekov, set the bio-photon analyzer on maximum."

Chekov: "Yes, captain."

Spock: "Captain, the Klingons are activating their vortex magnetizer."

Kirk: "So they buy the same New Age crap that we do?"

Spock: "It would be the logical conclusion."

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."