Author Topic: focus free binoculars  (Read 1258 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
focus free binoculars
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »
i wouldn't consider these for myself, but i wanted to get a gift for my dad who is almost ninety.  he is suffering from dimentia, and i am not sure if he would get frustrated trying to focus regular binocs.  his only pleasure now seems to be watching wildlife through the window, or watching tv. 

i would like to get him a pair of low power binocs, with a wider field of view so that he is not struggling to find what he is looking for.  i guess the wider field of view is the important part, and i was thinking that the fixed focus would be easier for him.  are there any worth considering?  most of the ones i have seen have been toyish.  here are some secondhand ones that looked better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Auto-Focus-Compact-Stadium-Binoculars-2-Pair-/110635056562?pt=Binocular&hash=item19c25cfdb2

if they are made by nikon they should be at least fair, if they haven't been mistreated.

any suggestions?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: focus free binoculars
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
I've never heard of fixed focus binoculars, but I guess it's not that difficult to pre-focus them for a somewhat limited depth of field if they are to be used within the confines of a stadium. In that context, you can't get miles away, and anyone right in the front row probably won't need binoculars to see the action.

Heck, I dropped $10 plus probably an equal amount in shipping for a pair of Coke bottle (advertising promotion) binoculars from CDNN Sports for a Christmas present for one of the grandkids two years ago. These things you're looking at appear to be much higher quality. I'd go for it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »
The link takes one to "auto" focus binoculars. 
I too have never heard of "fixed focus" binocs.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:25:41 AM »
I have heard of fixed-focus binocs.  They basically use your eyes to provide the focus changes.  I haven't seen a set in years. 

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »
Steiner binos are generally referred to as "fixed-focus". You focus each individual eyepiece to some point in the not too far distance and they are then in focus from there to infinity. They are all I use at work and home and they work well for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
The link takes one to "auto" focus binoculars. 
I too have never heard of "fixed focus" binocs.

i believe they are using the term "auto" rather loosely.  true auto focus binocs would need space for batteries, drive motor, and a laser or other range finder.  perhaps i am mistaken.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
I had a pair of 7 power. Gave them to my daughter. They were high quality pieces. Don't remember the brand. They worked on the same premise of mono-vision contacts is what I heard. I could use them my daughter could use them but my wife couldn't. Field of view wasn't very good. Low light was poor also.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:12:34 PM »
if they are made by nikon they should be at least fair, if they haven't been mistreated.

IIRC they weren't made by Nikon.  They were made for Nikon by someone else.  My Google-fu is weak, though, as the now-defunct Binocs line seems to have disappeared into relative obscurity.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:49:48 PM »
i believe they are using the term "auto" rather loosely.  true auto focus binocs would need space for batteries, drive motor, and a laser or other range finder.  perhaps i am mistaken.
You're probably right .... I was really noting the writing and not paying a lot of attention to the binoculars themselves.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:58:10 PM »
I had a pair of Leupolds, absolutely loved them (stolen). I currently have a pair of Steiners. Bought them cheap when they discontinued the line & wanted to use the name on a different design. I won't by standard binoculars anymore, the fixed focus is such a pleasure. Pick an intermediate distance & focus there, everything from 50% of that distance to 200% should be in focus. Instructions from both manufacturers recomended focus @ 2 or 300 yards but if you're going to sit on the back porch & watch a few feeders, several hundred yds would be unworkable.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »
Something along these lines may be what you are looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USN-WW2-7-X-50-Bausch-Lomb-Binoculars-w-Case-1943-/320642353651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa7c609f3

With each eye have a focus adjustment they become a fixed focus binocular. I have a pair of WW2 Navy binoculars I had refurbed and I prefer them over my set of Bushnells with the single eye adjustment and center focus adjustment.

The 7x50 may be a little much for backyard viewing but works fairly well for distance.

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I had a pair of Leupolds, absolutely loved them (stolen). I currently have a pair of Steiners. Bought them cheap when they discontinued the line & wanted to use the name on a different design. I won't by standard binoculars anymore, the fixed focus is such a pleasure. Pick an intermediate distance & focus there, everything from 50% of that distance to 200% should be in focus. Instructions from both manufacturers recomended focus @ 2 or 300 yards but if you're going to sit on the back porch & watch a few feeders, several hundred yds would be unworkable.

So it's a function of depth of field (the distance in front of, and behind, the focal point that remains in focust).

Deeper focal fields require a smaller aperture, meaning less overall light.  It also allows the mfgs to be a little more sloppy in their construction and in the precision of the focal mechanism as a smaller aperture has the inherent property of making things appear more in focus (like squinting your eyes to sharpen up the focus on something).  In daylight situations that's usually not a problem given the relatively large objective lens sizes for most binoculars.

In low light, though, you need a wider aperture to maximize light transmission.  That shortens the focal field and requires more precise focusing mechanisms.  Given a large objective, large aperture, good glass, and high end anti-reflective coatings, you can get units that gather and transmit available light so well they will give cheaper NVG's a run for their money.  Problem is the depth of field can be so short as to be measure in mere inches, requiring constant focus corrections.

Trades offs.  Always trade offs.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »

I'm not sure I'm understanding.The Leopoulds were 9 x 35, I used them regularly in low light/ dusk/ not so bright moonlight conditions & found them superlative. Much more clarity than 1st gen NV I've tried. And, when focused for the recomended 2 to 300 yds, everything from 75 yds to infinity was in focus. They need to be re-focused for looking across a room but then I don't think they were really designed for that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
The individual focus is separate from depth of field. DoF will obviously be different between an 8x30 and a 7x50, but barring differences in optic quality, 7x50 is 7x50. Steiner 7x50s with individual focus (Navigator and Commander) are very popular in the maritime community for low light conditions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:33 PM »
what about a small spotting scope? =)

bushnell has this on focus free binoculars on there site.

oh and either way i bet he would love a having a built-in camera. =D oh and i bet that would add "auto-focus" [popcorn]