Author Topic: Scott Pruitt Resigned  (Read 2405 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Scott Pruitt Resigned
« on: July 05, 2018, 04:12:56 PM »
Scott Pruitt has resigned. It will be interesting to see who gets the spot next.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/05/scott-pruitt-resigns-as-epa-chief-trump-announces.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Scott Pruitt Resigned
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »
Scott Pruitt has resigned. It will be interesting to see who gets the spot next.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/05/scott-pruitt-resigns-as-epa-chief-trump-announces.html

Hopefully one with less cronyism.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 05:02:39 PM »
He was just too toxic.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
He was just too toxic.
Please don't polluted a serious thread with puns.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 07:14:32 PM »
He was necessary to undo some overreaches. Hopefully Trump will choose well in his replacement.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »
We're still waiting for the agency to clean up the little radioactive landfill fire problem we have here.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 07:39:09 PM »
Pruitt had a target on his head from the the get go. He was already anathema to the EPA before Trump a pointed him. The EPA insiders considered him an enemy and I have no doubt that internal forces were working against him. I don't think anyone appointed by Trump with the same goals of reigning in an out of control EPA would have had any less opposition.
That being said it does look like Scotty kept shooting himself in the foot and handing his enemies more ammunition.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 07:41:13 PM »
He was necessary to undo some overreaches. Hopefully Trump will choose well in his replacement.

He was, and maybe it was even one of those "Trump plans" for him to do that, get people pissed at him, then leave. Someone new comes in, plans stay.

The one thing I didn't like about him, and something several other appointees have also done, is the flagrant disregard for gov regulations. As in not booking first class travel, not making side deals for condos, not having staff run personal errands for them, etc. Some of it is strictly against gov regulations while some of it is allowed, but a perception problem.

It almost pisses me off more when conservatives flaunt those rules than when the other side does it. I expect the progs to waste taxpayer money and say, "screw those stupid rules". Conservatives are supposed to be the ones stopping that crap, not participating in it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »
Kind of reads like Trump announced the controversies:

"Scott Pruitt has resigned as head of the Environmental Protection Agency after a string of controversies involving his leadership, President Trump announced Thursday on Twitter."

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 08:05:57 PM »
I hope Trump replaces him with a Captain Planet villain. 

Or they could just flush the EPA entirely.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »
My biggest worry is that he might come back to Oklahoma.
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »

That being said it does look like Scotty kept shooting himself in the foot and handing his enemies more ammunition.

Quoted for truth. I'm delighted to see the EPA being reined in, but Pruitt was a disastrous choice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »

The one thing I didn't like about him, and something several other appointees have also done, is the flagrant disregard for gov regulations. As in not booking first class travel, not making side deals for condos, not having staff run personal errands for them, etc. Some of it is strictly against gov regulations while some of it is allowed, but a perception problem.

It almost pisses me off more when conservatives flaunt those rules than when the other side does it. I expect the progs to waste taxpayer money and say, "screw those stupid rules". Conservatives are supposed to be the ones stopping that crap, not participating in it.

^^^ All of the above.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 03:45:15 AM »
Yeah, I didn't get him and Ben Carson ordering/buying new office furniture, china patterns, going first class, etc.   You know as a Trump appointee you have a giant bullseye on your back, and everything your do, no matter if everyone of predecessors did it, is going to blown up as "Trump Appointee eats orphans for breakfast, then uses Nuns as skeet targets in the evening".

They should have just pulled whatever old desk they had from the warehouse, put up some family pics and called it "good".   Spending a buttload of taxpayer money to get your office redecorated...not cool.

The first field exercise (CARAVAN GUARD) that then MG Calvin Waller went on as Commander of 8ID, his first breakfast, the cooks pulled out the 8ID china on a table cloth covered table and prepared a rather elegant breakfast.  He came out of his tent saw what was laid out before him and went nuts.  He ordered that all that fancy *expletive deleted*it be taken back to garrison and that the staff go find a line unit chow hall to go eat at.  (HHD, 8ID had it's own field mess for the rest of it's non-G level troops.)  

MG Waller then ordered his driver to take him to the closest line unit, which happened to 1/39 Infantry.  He then got in the4 chow line, refused all offers/attempts to get him to go to the front, held out his mess kit to get his food slopped into, like every troop, picked an MRE out of the case at random, like every other troop, for lunch (Rumour had it that he bitched about drawing the dehydrated Pork Patty, but accepted his choice), then paid for his meals.  (Officers have to pay for our meals in the field since we get Separate Rations pay.)  Then found a spot to eat with the enlisted while talking/listening to them.  He would pick a different unit each day to go have breakfast/dinner with.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 09:24:26 AM »
I think Scout's post is a good (reverse) example of the problem with Trump's appointees - culture.

I'm sure plenty of people with stars on their shoulder take some advantage of their position, but I think the culture is the old saw about, "I wouldn't ask one of my men to do anything I wouldn't do myself." In the case of many of Trump's picks, they come from cultures where if you're the boss, you can take, and in fact are entitled to, all kinds of fancy perks, and they just seem to refuse to adapt to the culture of their new roles, where an SES is supposed to follow most of the same rules as a GS-5.

So you have Pruitt and Carson pulling their crap, Minuchin flying private jets and taking his wife along, etc. This is all normal behavior for them in their old lives, and they can't (or won't) get it through their heads that they have to change their behavior during their government service.

I will say that flying First Class is not necessarily against the rules (or wasn't when I was working). It was absolutely verboten to purchase First Class domestic travel under most circumstances, but right after George W got in, he changed rules to allow fed employees to keep all the frequent flier miles they earned while on work travel. You could use them for whatever you wanted. Some people saved them up to get free personal flights to Hawaii or wherever. I used to use them to upgrade to first if I could anytime I was stuck on an LA to DC flight for work.

Of course even that can be a perception problem. I was a GS-nobody, so nobody knew the difference. If you're one of the faces of the administration though, then even though it's legal, it's a perception problem, and maybe you'd better suck it up and fly coach, at least on domestic flights.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »
I hope Trump replaces him with a Captain Planet villain. 

I'm pretty sure Trump would pick the on in the pink jumpsuit.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1014956568129892352?s=21
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1014956573095915520?s=21
I am a bit shocked that Senate has actually approved a deputy in the EPA already.  I thought they were still slow boating all the staff appointments. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »
I think Scout's post is a good (reverse) example of the problem with Trump's appointees - culture.

I'm sure plenty of people with stars on their shoulder take some advantage of their position, but I think the culture is the old saw about, "I wouldn't ask one of my men to do anything I wouldn't do myself." In the case of many of Trump's picks, they come from cultures where if you're the boss, you can take, and in fact are entitled to, all kinds of fancy perks, and they just seem to refuse to adapt to the culture of their new roles, where an SES is supposed to follow most of the same rules as a GS-5.

So you have Pruitt and Carson pulling their crap, Minuchin flying private jets and taking his wife along, etc. This is all normal behavior for them in their old lives, and they can't (or won't) get it through their heads that they have to change their behavior during their government service.

A good many years ago I did a brief stint as staff architect for the local public housing authority. I reported to the Director of Development, and to the Executive Director of the agency himself. We had a number of very choice/potentially lucrative development projects under way at the time I came on board. The Director of Development was concerned (rightly) that there might be some shenanigans pulled. (And there were.) At one point, over lunch if I recall, we were hypothesizing about that. I told her she would never have to worry about me taking bribes, because they'd probably offer me a Cadillac and what I really wanted was a pickup truck.

As it transpired, the offers were never made overtly, but they were hinted at. But ... no hints about a pickup truck. One of the bad guys did get the biggest contract, unfortunately, but not through me. It required the Area Director for HUD to override our agency's selection to get the contract to the chosen developer. Meanwhile, two agency employees and an outsider were indicted and ultimately convicted of attempting to rig a federal contract.

And that reminds me of my own story regarding FBI incompetence. The FBI was involved while this was all playing out. I knew it, and my boss knew it. What even she didn't know was that I attended a couple of meeting wearing a wire recorder. At one point, I came into possession of a couple of small recording tapes from a hand-held tape recorder. (This was decades before digital voice recorders were invented.) Back then there were two small tape formats -- IIRC they were classified as "mini" and "micro." I turned the tapes over to the FBI agents I was working with. They later told me that the FBI couldn't get anything off the tapes. Their technical geniuses didn't know the difference -- if the tapes were "minis," they unspooled them, rolled them into a "micro" case, and tried to play them. The idiots could have gone down the street to the radio Shack two blocks from their office and bought the right machine to play the tapes, but instead they destroyed them in their efforts to listen to them.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 06:58:28 PM »
(Rumour had it that he bitched about drawing the dehydrated Pork Patty,

That was my first MRE.  It was nasty. 

Speaking of MREs, this guy reviews them: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA/videos
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 09:11:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure Trump would pick the on in the pink jumpsuit.

Hell, who'd blame him?

gods, but that stupid cartoon was straight up propaganda.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 10:42:42 PM »
(Rumour had it that he bitched about drawing the dehydrated Pork Patty, but accepted his choice)

Clearly too good to offer to sweeten a trade by throwing in his applesauce and cookie.