Author Topic: Anybody seen a PC do this before?  (Read 3697 times)

Nightfall

• friend
Anybody seen a PC do this before?
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:09:51 AM »

First issue of note, BIOS says 1024 MB of DDR2 is installed.  Windows says 0 bytes of RAM, as you can see above.  Second issue, various invisible icons, corrupted images, etc. visible in the IE window.  Third, can't use Windows Update, or most anything else IE related without IE crashing.  I've updated BIOS, checked RAM for problems, updated video drivers and various other things.  Nuked the HDD and did a clean install of XP the first time this happened.  Exact same problems remained.  Am I looking at a bad MoBo or something similar?  Anybody got a way of testing for that or perhaps CPU problems without swapping components (I have no other PC to swap stuff with)? 

It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

AZAndy

Re: Anybody seen a PC do this before?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:46:13 AM »
Question: Did you delete and then recreate the partition when you zapped the hard drive? Or just format it?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »
Click on the Hardware tab under System Properties. (You have it open in the background where it shows system memory and processor.)  Click on the Device Manager button.  Are any of the devices highlighted with a yellow exclamation mark?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
I've not seen this exact issue... but I have seen a PC give garbled IE output (like your browser screen here) and fail to run Windows Update properly.

My solution has been to update the MoBo drivers for everything, download the administrative installer for sp2, uninstall whatever service pack level the PC has, and reinstall sp2.  Usually works.  But, I've never been told I have 0 RAM.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Question: Did you delete and then recreate the partition when you zapped the hard drive? Or just format it?
Hmm, I don't remember having to create a new partition when reinstalling XP after using Darik's Boot 'n' Nuke.  Would destroying then recreating HDD's partitions be something to try?

Click on the Hardware tab under System Properties. (You have it open in the background where it shows system memory and processor.)  Click on the Device Manager button.  Are any of the devices highlighted with a yellow exclamation mark?

Well, most of the icons are too corrupted to see now.   =D  However, I installed drivers for everything, and none of the sections are expanded as they do when containing a yellow exclamation mark.  Looks like devices are fine, as far as that goes.

I've not seen this exact issue... but I have seen a PC give garbled IE output (like your browser screen here) and fail to run Windows Update properly.

My solution has been to update the MoBo drivers for everything, download the administrative installer for sp2, uninstall whatever service pack level the PC has, and reinstall sp2.  Usually works.  But, I've never been told I have 0 RAM.
Drivers and BIOS have been updated.  Same problems have remained through SP 1, 2, etc.  Tried uninstalling and redoing, no luck.

Last night, I ran Prime95, which is very sensitive to CPU/Mobo/Memory errors.  I immediately got an "ERROR: ILLEGAL SUM OUT" message.  Memory has been tested over night with no problems, leading me to suspect CPU, MoBo, or one or both of these not getting enough juice, etc. from the power supply.  *sigh* I hate computers...
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
I'd guess demonic possesion. Get thee hence to a priest, anon!

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:56:22 AM »
I've been getting the..."Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close message"  for the last week.  Then it shuts down IE.

As my knowledge about computers consists of ON and OFF skills,  I don't have a clue why or what to do.  I did try and do a System Restore and the machine reports that it is unable to do a restore to a previous date.  :|
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »
I've been getting the..."Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close message"  for the last week.  Then it shuts down IE.

As my knowledge about computers consists of ON and OFF skills,  I don't have a clue why or what to do.  I did try and do a System Restore and the machine reports that it is unable to do a restore to a previous date.  :|

That's your problem right there. http://www.mozilla.org/

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
Ok, deleted partitions, nuked again, new partition and fresh XP install.  Did no good.

So...
I'd guess demonic possesion. Get thee hence to a priest, anon!

I'm looking for a priest that can excise a demon I estimate to be the size of the Balrog from Lord of the Rings.  I'm willing to try it myself, but I'm not sure what to do once it's out.  What caliber for particularly evil demons?

Seriously though... I hate computers.  =|

Why am I CompSci major again...?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
Computers get away with a lot of evil cause you can't use holy water on em.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »
An IT-type coworker of mine once said about his computer:  "My computer beat me at chess, but I beat it at kickboxing."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »
Ok, deleted partitions, nuked again, new partition and fresh XP install.  Did no good.

So...
I'm looking for a priest that can excise a demon I estimate to be the size of the Balrog from Lord of the Rings.  I'm willing to try it myself, but I'm not sure what to do once it's out.  What caliber for particularly evil demons?

You need an .88 Glamdring Magnum.  In a lightning-bolt action.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:14:23 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
I used to use Mozilla.  It seemed to be one large virus by itself.  It screwed up just about everything.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 04:08:09 PM »
I used to use Mozilla.  It seemed to be one large virus by itself.  It screwed up just about everything.

That was the devil IE doing naughty things in a fit of pique. Reformat and install *nix to show it who's boss.  :lol:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »
In nomini patre, et filio, et spirituu sancto....sprinkles holy water upon the keyboard. :angel:

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
I had that exact issue. It turns out it was because Windows was installed. I got rid of Windows and haven't have a problem ever since.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
I had that exact issue. It turns out it was because Windows was installed. I got rid of Windows and haven't have a problem ever since.

Then that tells you it was most certainly a driver problem.  Otherwise it would have done the same thing on your Linux/BSD/Amiga/BeOS/whatever operating system.  It wasn't windows, it was driver support for your platform on windows.
--Lysander Spooner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 06:35:54 PM »
whoosh

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »
I wondered when we were going to get an unabashed, and unasked-for, Linux plug.

Didn't take long, did it?  =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »
You're welcome. :angel:
--Tallpine

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 04:19:10 PM »
Tried Ubuntu.  Couldn't get it to work.  Install CD checks out, works on laptop.  The install usually freezes though, or sometimes seems to work, but only gets me to the point where I see a black screen with garbled lines of color when I should probably be seeing the desktop.  I sometimes get what seems to be a succesful install but dropped to cmd line, yet "startx" (I think) gives me the same as above.

I think this PC is ka-putz.  Shame too, gonna be a long while until we have the cash to build a new PC.  Oh well, life goes on.  Thanks for the ideas and humor, guys.   =D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 04:50:55 PM »
Edited to fix mistake on my part.

What processor/socket?  If it's a socket 478, I may have an extra CPU or two laying around you could have to resurrect things.  They are slower than 3.4Ghz, though.

If it's socket LGA775, don't have any of those, sorry.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:13:54 PM by RocketMan »

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 07:52:11 PM »
Thanks for the offer, RocketMan.  Unfortunately, my MB is LGA775.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »
Don't feel bad.

Ubuntu won't work on any of my 5 IBM workstations, either, without leaving the Live CD in the drive and having it boot from there.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 09:25:35 PM »
I been having weird problems lately, too.
Suddenly, Dr. Watson starts up and uses 99% of my processor.  I end task it and it comes back after a few minutes every time.
I can't even watch videos on my computer anymore, much less game.
I'm about ready to just turn it off until I can upgrade it.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.