Author Topic: Thank you, Veterans!  (Read 3699 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Thank you, Veterans!
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »
Can't believe I'm the first to say so on APS this 11th day of the 11th month...

Thank you, Vets, past, present, and future!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »
You beat me to it - just got in to work.

To the veterans of our country:  You were willing to give your life for the freedoms that I and my countrymen enjoy - and for that you've earned the highest order of respect and gratitude from me.  Thank you so much for your service.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:44:05 AM »
Have to echo this - THANK YOU to all vets who served honorably.

With a special thanks to those who went in harm's way, many of whom paid a very high price.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
Thank you, Veterans.

It cannot be said enough. I'm glad we have a day set aside to remember your service, but that is but a token.

Thank you for your sacrifice that I might have the freedoms we still enjoy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

erictank

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:48:41 AM »
As a vet, let me give my appreciation to those who posted before me for their thanks, and add my own thanks to all those who served before, with, or after me, many of whom gave far more than I ever had to.

Eric
USN 1991-1997

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
As a vet, let me give my appreciation to those who posted before me for their thanks, and add my own thanks to all those who served before, with, or after me, many of whom gave far more than I ever had to.

Eric
USN 1991-1997

Eric said what I would try to say and he said it a lot better.  So, I'll tag onto the more eloquent sentiment.

Thanks to all of my brothers and sisters in arms for their service.

USMC 1973- 1977
USANG 1980- 2002 (Including a bit of broken service years)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:09:23 AM by 209 »

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
As I sit here with my morning pot of coffee, I am nearly overwhelmed with memories of the men I served with and the folks I see regularly at VA appointments.  I look back to the generations my family served this country and ahead to the continued service of my son Paul.  Many people paid the price to preserve our way of life, and I am grateful for that.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:20:17 AM »
I'll call my father tonight and say "Thank you", as I try to do every year, and he'll probably say "for what?" As a non-veteran, leading the comfortable and comparativle safe life I do, please accept my sincere gratitude for your service and sacrifice.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »
Let me add my thanks as well. I wish that, or anything else for that matter, was enough to compensate for the countless sacrifices of all manner made by our men and women in uniform, but I don't believe anything could ever be an adequate payment in return. Still, I hope the gratitude of many generations of Americans comes through clearly today.  =)
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 12:14:53 PM »
Thanks back and to all youse others too,,,

USN 1975-1980
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
Here here! A thanks to all my fellow Veterans. 

USAF 1985-2007

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
Thank you all you've done to make this day of freedom possible....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
Mere words cannot express the gratitude that I feel towards our everyday heroes.  My thanks are nothing compared to the service which veterans have rendered us. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 05:35:33 PM »
Thank you for taking time from your life to risk that life in order to defend this country. Members of the US military are among the elite in history who have fought to preserve freedom rather than take it from others.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:26:19 PM by Monkeyleg »

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
Thanks to all, those before me, and those after me

USN 1987-1992

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »
definitely need to add my thanks to those who have served and continue to serve our country.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 07:14:49 PM »
Members of the US military are unique in history in that they have fought to preserve freedom rather than take it from others.

No matter how many times I read this, it doesn't stop grating.

45,000 Canadians, 40,000 Australians, 21,000 Dutch, 217,000 French and 383,000 Brits just from WWII, and just obvious countries.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »
Iain,

We'll thank them on their respective country's Veterans Days, ok.

In the meantime, today is the U.S. Veterans Day.  ;)

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:57 PM »
My initial objection was to the apparent denigration of the efforts of the rest of us in fighting for freedom, painting us as taking freedom from others. But yeah now I feel I have to point out that 11/11 is Armistice Day over here. People wear poppies, it's this whole big thing.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
My initial objection was to the apparent denigration of the efforts of the rest of us in fighting for freedom, painting us as taking freedom from others. But yeah now I feel I have to point out that 11/11 is Armistice Day over here. People wear poppies, it's this whole big thing.

Hey....I'm thankful for your veterans, too....we couldn't have WON WWII  and the current wars without y'all....
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:46:41 AM by seeker_two »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 10:39:45 PM »

Understood, but try not to read into it too much, ok?

IOW, Monkeyleg wasn't being denigrating, just local in his appreciation, know what I mean?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:23:20 AM by Gewehr98 »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 10:52:35 PM »
Sorry, Iain.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
I thank them...and particularly their families who sacrifice as much, if not more. Salute -Happy Veterans Day!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:54 PM »
It's been a rare Veteran's Day.  Sadly, I wonder if Dr. Hasan had something to do with it.   =(

Today at work, the folks from Security gave cards to the veterans, with an Army sticker and key-chain (or whatever their branch of service may have been).  My boss said that had never happened to him before, and I must say it's never happened to me, either.  

The preacher also passed out American flag magnetic decals to the vets at church on Sunday, which he hasn't done before.  

My thanks to all those who've served and have gone more dangerous spots than I went to.  Hats off to our Commonwealth cousins, as well.  OK, I guess I'll grudgingly thank the Frogs, too.   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
Definitely want to add my thanks to those that served in the past, those that serve in the present, and those that will serve in the future.  Thank you for allowing us to have freedom!