Author Topic: FRS radios...  (Read 3712 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
FRS radios...
« on: March 09, 2006, 05:37:05 PM »
...I was looking at a set for about $24 at wallymart.  Two radios that use AAA and come with a set of rechargables.  22 chanels plus encrypted sub channels.  However, the back of the package said "Fcc lic. required".  What in the hell is that about? I want a set for my fishing trip next week, and these were nice little fellas.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »
Most radios sold as "FRS" radios also include the GMRS channels and amps appropriate to GMRS power levels.  That's why the FCC license is required.  IF you ONLY operate them on the FRS channels at FRS power levels, you do not need the license.  The license is a fee only affair, no test needed like a HAM license.

It's getting hard to find FRS only radios.

Chris

cosine

• Administrator
FRS radios...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 05:45:29 PM »
You should be careful about the settings on the radios though, because it is really easy to operate them in GMRS mode without knowing it.
Andy

mtnbkr

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 05:47:07 PM »
I have a set that does both.  The GMRS stations have a secondary marker that says "Hi" when you switch to them.  Dunno if that's common or not since I just got these (Free 5yr anniversary gift from my company).

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 06:05:36 PM »
What's the difference between the FRS and the GRMS portions, and what kind of trouble (and how would someone know) if I ran the radios in GRMS mode by accident?
I'm tempted to just get the cheap 22 channel (no subs) ones, to avoid the hassel, however, I liked using encrypted channels in the past with my familia for travel and such.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 06:14:41 PM »
get AA powered radios

AAA ones drink up the batterys too fast

don't worry about GMRS, if its sold at Walmart theres no way the Gov't is going to have the resources to track down pyrates
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cfabe

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 06:35:57 PM »
You won't get caught using GMRS. Resources to police these bands are nearly non-existant, and only respond to cases of documented reported deliberate interference or illegal use on a repeated basis. I did get the license but only because I like getting licensces. If you're woried just operate on the FRS channels in low power.

What's more important is you referred to 'encrypted subchannels.' FRS and GMRS are *not* encrypted, or private in any way. The radios use a system called CTCSS or digital squealch where when you key the mike they transmit a quick series of tones. Other radios tuned to the same 'privacy code' or 'subchannel' will only desquelch when they hear those tones. Anyone with an FRS radio running without CTCSS will be able to hear anyone using that channel, regardless of if the transmitter has a privacy code set. And anyone with a scanner can tune it to pick up any transmission on any of the FRS and GMRS channels. So when you key up one of your new radios, think of it just as if you were holding a megaphone to your mouth.

cosine

• Administrator
FRS radios...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 06:43:19 PM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
What's the difference between the FRS and the GRMS portions, and what kind of trouble (and how would someone know) if I ran the radios in GRMS mode by accident?
Like others have said, it would be extremely rare to encounter trouble by using the GMRS frequencies without a license. However, FCC penalties are your standard fines and such, including losing your ham radio license if you're a ham.
Andy

crt360

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »
To get an idea of how many people actually have a GMRS license use this:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchGmrs.jsp

Type in your town, state and ZIP.  There was only one license for my whole ZIP code and it was expired.
For entertainment purposes only.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
FRS radios...
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 12:28:45 PM »
cfabe, just something I was wondering about.  How does the license work?  Do you need one for each radio, or are you limted to a certain channel, or what?

I know of dozens of GMRS radios floating around.  I know of no licenses.  Methinks it is just a way for the FCC to make a quick $75 off you.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

yci

FRS radios...
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 12:35:55 PM »
My understanding of the GMRS license is similar to that of a ham radio license.  It is not a license per transmitter or frequency, but allows an individual to tranmit within a specified range (or ranges) of frequencies.

Jamisjockey

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 03:25:33 PM »
23 in my 'hood, only 2 inactive!
I think I'm just going to get the radios and be careful not to use the GMRS 'cept in an emergency.
JD

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
FRS radios...
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 03:48:49 PM »
So then, would everyone tha uses the radio have to have a license?  If you had two, could you not legally give one to your buddy to use, because he didn't ahve a license?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
FRS radios...
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 04:12:27 PM »
Buy want you want, don't worry about the FCC license.  

I have had a FCC license since 1984 (IIRC - yep, just checked).  It is a piece of cheap yellow paper that says it is a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit and that it never expires, but that it may be revoked if I'm a bad boy.  FYI, this license used to be required for a pilot to use the aircraft radios.  I don't think it is required now, unless the aircraft is operated outside the US.  I never had a student apply for a permit when I was an instructor.

In the 22 years I have had this license, I have never been asked by anyone from any government agency to show this license.  In fact, the only organization that has asked to see it is my current employer.  I think that I'm required to have the license to meet current International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) rules.  I occasionally fly outside the US, so I guess I must adhere to ICAO rules.

So, yank off the tinfoil hat and get those radios.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 05:01:01 AM »
I'm pretty proficient in the use of radios.....comes with the job......I'll be back at Hell-Mart this week and get a set.
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 05:20:09 AM »
In the 22 years I have had this license, I have never been asked by anyone from any government agency to show this license.
The only time I've heard of it being an issue is when the HAM nazis get perturbed that one of the great unwashed is using GMRS frequencies without giving their callsigns, etc.  Based on forum reports at various radio forums, they (not the gov) do their best to triangulate and report unlicensed users.

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
FRS radios...
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 01:18:06 PM »
Well, I guess that they could triangulate my position to within a few hundred yards, but then what?  They don't know who I am, they don't know where I'm going.

But, if it makes you feel better: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile  It's only $80 for five years.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Lennyjoe

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 01:41:31 PM »
My GPS has FRS and GMRS capability (Rino 120) but we only use FRS.  It has a 2 mile radius and the GMRS has 5 miles capability.  Where we hunt (in the middle of nowhere) it would be almost impossible for the FCC to track us.  That being said, we use the GMRS for emergencies if we get out of the 2 mile range of the FRS.

cfabe

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 02:50:44 PM »
I'll also note that the listed distances on those radios are pretty optimistic. Expect half or less depending on terrain.

Leatherneck

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 07:37:37 AM »
CFabe "I did get the license but only because I like getting licensces."

Rare attitude around here...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

cfabe

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »
I should add that I'm also a ham so I feel obliged to obey FCC rules where possible...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
FRS radios...
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 10:14:56 AM »
Quote from: Fly320s
Buy want you want, don't worry about the FCC license.  

I have had a FCC license since 1984 (IIRC - yep, just checked).  It is a piece of cheap yellow paper that says it is a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit and that it never expires, but that it may be revoked if I'm a bad boy.  FYI, this license used to be required for a pilot to use the aircraft radios.  I don't think it is required now, unless the aircraft is operated outside the US.  I never had a student apply for a permit when I was an instructor.

In the 22 years I have had this license, I have never been asked by anyone from any government agency to show this license.  In fact, the only organization that has asked to see it is my current employer.  I think that I'm required to have the license to meet current International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) rules.  I occasionally fly outside the US, so I guess I must adhere to ICAO rules.

So, yank off the tinfoil hat and get those radios.
I got one of those when I was 15 and in the Civil Air Patrol, they don't expire. I'll have to go dig mine out.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kestrel

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 04:50:33 PM »
I'm not advising anyone else to do this, but if I were buying GMRS radios, I wouldn't consider  buying a license for GMRS for a second. I simply wouldn't do it. A "voluntary" tax that I just  wouldn't pay. It's another CB-type "cash cow" for the FCC.

These things are being sold by the truckloads through department stores and the FCC really expects for EVERYONE to buy an invisible license to reside in an FCC glass house? They aren't going to be out trying to track the rebellion down...

As for hams trying to find these these dangerous, scurvy "lawbreakers" and turning them in to the FCC... that figures. I'm interested in a ham license myself at some point, but I can't understand the motivation of some radio hobbyists sitting around, trying to chase somebody down that "didn't follow the rules". I suppose these are some of the same folks that would turn in classmates, when they were youngsters, for running in the halls. I don't want to be unduly hard on them, but it's a bit silly at times. I bet these guys are "loads of fun at a party".

I completely understand the need for licensing with HF/UHF/VHF, but with bands on $25 radios being sold at Devil-Mart - good grief... Just a cash-cow for the FCC.

I'm not trying to be unduly hard on hams - I'm planning to be one. I just think too many are obsessed with turning in folks for running in the hall.

cosine

• Administrator
FRS radios...
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »
Well, the point is, if I were a ham, I sure would be getting the GMRS license because if by some odd chance I do get caught using a GMRS radio without a GMRS license there goes my ham license.
Andy

mtnbkr

• friend
FRS radios...
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 06:02:50 PM »
These things are being sold by the truckloads through department stores and the FCC really expects for EVERYONE to buy an invisible license to reside in an FCC glass house?
The GMRS license existed back when a "cheap" GMRS radio was $200 a piece, not a pair.  

Chris