Author Topic: Gas Grill recomendations?  (Read 3704 times)

ROTTO

Gas Grill recomendations?
« on: March 30, 2005, 06:10:19 PM »
I am in the market for a new gas barbeque grill.  I am currently leaning towards a Weber Genesis Silver or Gold but was wondering if anyone here had any recomendations on a grill that might be better.  $500-600 is what I am looking to spend.  Please no posts from people saying charcoal is the only way to go.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:16:23 PM »
I'll never use a gas grill...so I guess I'm out of the conversation already. =X
Charcoal is all there is for me.
Although, Webber's awesomeness can never be questioned.  So if I HAD to have a gas grill, it'd probably be a Webber.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

DigMe

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 07:08:08 PM »
Rotto -

According to Consumer Reports the top-rated gas grill was the Jenn-Air JA460P @ $600.  However the Weber Genesis Silver B was rated a "Best Buy" at $450.

brad cook

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:32:07 PM »
Well, other than saying charcoal is the only way to go, my only advice on gas grills...

You need at LEAST 44K BTU. Anything less and they simply don't get hot enough for a good sear.

Cast iron grates are better than thin stainless or chromed grates.

Lava rock is a pain in the butt.

Windows are an unnecessary annoyance.

Built in thermometers are nice, but don't depend on them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 07:50:14 PM »
Built in thermometers are nice, but don't depend on them.
Using your finger is the best.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sean Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 04:13:37 AM »
The key advice is to get enough BTUs.  Part of the reason gas grills have a bad name (aside from the fact they ain't charcoal) is that alot of them simply do not put out enough heat for grilling, which produces awful results.  Very hot gas grills can produce very nice cooking results, and wimpy ones can ruin ANYTHING...

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 05:25:02 AM »
For years, I swore I would never get a gas grill.  SWMBO finally just bought a Weber Genesis Silver B and I love it.  It has been trouble-free and I now grill about 10 times as often as I did with the old Weber kettle charcoal grill.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Jason

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 05:43:56 AM »
I've got the Charbroil Stainless.  Love it.  Its sturdy, its going to last for years, and it cooks great.  One of the reason's I got it was that it was 100% stainless.  No painted surfaces whatsoever.

Best $400 I ever spent.
When selecting a grille, consider who you'll be cooking for.  I *almost* got a bigger (and more expensive) grille, but 95% of our cooking is just for us.  Even when we entertain, its only a few people.  3 burners was perfect.

Chris

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 06:16:04 AM »
Ditto on the CharBroil.  I've got The Big Easy, and love it.  No lava rocks to deal with, either.

Ready on the Right

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 09:27:09 AM »
I love our Weber Genesis Silver.  Get the cast iron grill tops and be sure to season them right.

4 years of heavy use plus heavy winters and it still works great.  No lava rocks.  The drippings hit the metal ridges and create flavor.

Downsides:
-There ARE hot spots.  I probably need to replace some rusted spots
-The ignition button only works once in a while.  Seems to be the same one used on cheaper grills.

Although I recommend purchasing a grill already assembled - The Weber really was not too bad to put together out of the box - which I cannot say about an old Sunbeam we had that fell apart after 2 years.
There is no such thing as a "deadly weapon", there are only deadly people.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 11:22:12 AM »
I just got rid of my Weber.  We have had it since 1992.  Still worked.  The auto starter crapped out, but has a match hole to light the burner.  I used a propane match.  it was a little grody and needed a good power wash, but I gave it to my neighbor.  He's gonna use it as a spare down by the lake.  I just wanted to get a new grille to replace it, thinking about hooking it into my natural gas and mounting on the deck vs having it in the garage with propane.  If you follow the Weber cook book religiously for cooking instructions you'll get the best results.  I rebelled at first, because I wanted to do it MY way.  Follow the cook book for best results.:rolleyes
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

LynnMassGuy

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 04:08:59 PM »
I have a Weber Genesis Silver and I love it. Its holding up very wll so far. I still prefer charcoal when weather permits though.

Regards
John

J P Corry

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 10:26:10 AM »
I have never had a gas grill that produces a hot enough, even enough cooking heat to properly cook a steak.

Charcoal is the only way to go. Yes, it's messy, takes time, is bulky and requires a lot of cleanup...but it is so far superior for cooking steaks that it is all worth it.

ROTTO

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 07:43:39 PM »
Well, I went and bought a grill today.   I ended up getting one from Vermont Castings.  It is a 4 burner, all stainless steel and 48,000 BTU.  It is a $600.00 grill but I got it for $360.00 because it was a floor model from last year.  I can't wait to this weekend when I will have time to try it out.  I have a co-worker who has one and he says he likes it better than his Weber.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 04:54:51 AM »
Quote from: J P Corry
I have never had a gas grill that produces a hot enough, even enough cooking heat to properly cook a steak.

Charcoal is the only way to go. Yes, it's messy, takes time, is bulky and requires a lot of cleanup...but it is so far superior for cooking steaks that it is all worth it.
Then you've never had a high quality gas grill.  Mine cooks a steak perfectly as long as you don't turn the heat up too much.  My secret is preheating the grill to my preferred temperature before cooking.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 01:11:27 PM »
Another thumbs up for the Weber,  this is the only gas grill that comes close to charcoal that I have owned.

I have to admit,  when I saw the Vermont Castings I said that is what I want!  But I already had the Weber and it rocks.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 09:35:17 AM »
Gas grills aren't messy, generally, but they take roughly the same amount of time as charcoal in order to properly preheat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 11:57:21 AM »
Rotto:
     Be sure to report in on results.  I gotta replace my old Weber and I'm curious about Vermont Casting.

On the Weber, we used to crank up all three burners at high heat to preheat.  then shut down the middle burner and put the other two on medium and then religiously follow the handbook for steaks.  NEVER open the grille and NEVER turn the steaks.  I did not trust it would work, but they always turned out perfectly.
     Swmbo did roasts on the Weber, again following the handbook and they were always perfect, medium rare and tasty.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

XLMiguel

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 04:12:35 PM »
+1 for Webber Genesis Silver B

I, too, joined the dark side the end of last summer when my 15 y.o. Webber kettle finally rusted thru, so I bought a Webber gas grill (genisis Silver B). It took me a little practice to science out the heating characteristics, but it works great.  It is far and a way more conveient than charcoal.

Still. it isn't charcoal, but it does a fine job.  The thing I miss most about moving to gas is not being able to effectively use wet chips fo smoking.  I've been using a stainless box with wood chips over one of the manifold logs.  It works Ok, but I think I'll pop for the Webber smoker box.