Author Topic: COSMOS on Fox, et al  (Read 3705 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: COSMOS on Fox, et al
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »
So I liked the episode last night better than the premiere.  But I was hoping that the series was going to be on a more complex level of science explanation.  So far, it seems to be pretty darn basic.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »
I don't have time to write about all the points made in this article.  I'd say the author has a definite agenda, as obvious as the one put forth on the show.  In the very first point the author states "Even the most aggressive climate change models and their 20-foot ocean rises don’t predict that for Earth, no matter how many Chevy Volts we don’t buy."  Nowhere does anyone say that the earth is in danger of becoming anything remotely like Venus.  Saying the atmosphere on Venus is a greenhouse atmosphere has nothing to do with the atmosphere on Earth.

Carry on.
I'm pretty sure I remember that Sagan himself in the original Cosmos puts out the idea that Earth is at risk of becoming a Venus-like steamy greenhouse.  I think he also discusses the possibility of swinging too far the other way and losing our atmosphere and becoming ice cold like Mars.  It's been years (decades) since I last saw the original Cosmos, so don't quote me on this.

As for the Federalist, they're unapologetically right-wing.  Of course they have an agenda.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 09:24:35 PM »
Seth MacFarlane and Neil deGrasse Tyson also have an agenda I suspect.

An agenda that is probably a mixed bag of good and bad from my perspective.

The program is meant to be more inspirational than hard science from a recent interview with deGrasse I ran across.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
I found my mind wandering as I watched episode 2.

It's OK, but I certainly am not learning anything new.

I give it a lukewarm 'meh'.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 09:05:27 AM »
Here is an interesting discussion regarding Bruno and the treatment of him in the Cosmos episode.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/outthere/2014/03/13/cosmos-giordano-bruno-response-steven-soter/#.UymT487LK71
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
I found my mind wandering as I watched episode 2.

It's OK, but I certainly am not learning anything new.

I give it a lukewarm 'meh'.

Sawdust

Same here. 

I was really dismayed when Neil deGrasse Tyson was talking about the motor proteins in a cell, while the imagry displayed same dragging a vacoulle along the microtubules within the cell.  He refered to these proteins as "Beings".  :facepalm:
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
I fell asleep.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
I just want to thank you all for saving two hours of my life that could have been wasted on this.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
I watched it, and actually I find it to be rather fascinating.

I think it is well worth watching.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
I fell asleep.

That's what old people do. They sit in their chairs and fall asleep in front of the TV.

I had to rewind the first episode about half way because I fell asleep....  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »
If the purpose of this show is to:

A) get more people interested in science and/or

B) get more kids interested in science so they work in STEm fields (not necessarily get STEM degrees).

Then it's good. Even if we chringe when they put out bad info.  As long as you correct it for your kids, then it's even better.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
"As long as you correct it for your kids, then it's even better. "

Daddy! My teacher says that there weren't any dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden!

Your teacher's a statist stoodge, son.

Thanks, Dad!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
I mean in things like regarding Bruno.

Hell, Robert is already disliked by his science teacher because he debates her on Globular Woerming.  (She's a Prius driving, true believer).  He comes homes and asks me questions about it.  We research the answers, then he goes in the next day and presents his argument about why she's FOS.

Since he's graded on the actual curriculum (which does not include AGW), and he's respectful (so far) he doesn't have to do ALL the extra credit that he does to maintain his A.

But again, we don't have TV, so most of the trash that on is prevented from entering the house.  If we do watch TV it's something from the libary.  When we watch the History Channel's 10 part documentary on the American Revolution, I was able to pause the DVD, provide additional information and/or correct what was being presented.   What was even better and raised my standing his eyes was that often I have facts and items of interest that they hadn't presented yet.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:12:27 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »
OK, tonights episode about light was a nice break from the tapletop disaster excercise I'm going to inflict on my coworkers tomorrow.  However, did I hear Neil make the claim that Carmina Baruna was composed in the Middle Ages?  :facepalm:

I did like the arrangement for the pipe organ that was presented, I guess I have another peice of music to track down and acquire.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:22 AM »
OK, tonights episode about light was a nice break from the tapletop disaster excercise I'm going to inflict on my coworkers tomorrow.  However, did I hear Neil make the claim that Carmina Baruna was composed in the Middle Ages?  :facepalm:

I did like the arrangement for the pipe organ that was presented, I guess I have another peice of music to track down and acquire.

Well, the poems it was based on were:

Carmina Burana (/ˈkɑrmɨnə bʊˈrɑːnə/; Latin for "Songs from Beuern" ("Beuern" is short for Benediktbeuern) is the name given to a manuscript of 254[1] poems and dramatic texts mostly from the 11th or 12th century, although some are from the 13th century. The pieces are mostly bawdy, irreverent, and satirical. They were written principally in Medieval Latin; a few in Middle High German, and some with traces of Old French or Provençal.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth