Author Topic: Pro Wrestling is Not a Good Career Choice.  (Read 3697 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pro Wrestling is Not a Good Career Choice.
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
Pro wrestlers seem to have an incredibly short lifespan. I just clicked on this from Fox News, and maybe it's a biased sample set, but all but a couple of these people died in their 30's, 40's and 50's. While it looks like about 30% were drug related overdoses / suicides, all the rest seem to have been natural causes, like heart attacks and cancer. Maybe from "supplements" they may have taken to bulk up?

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2014/10/20/pro-wrestlers-past-tragic-ends-ox-baker/?intcmp=features#slide=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Pro Wrestling is Not a Good Career Choice.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Combining the contact injury/PEDs of pro football absent protective gear, with the traveling lifestyle/recreational drug availability of a rock band, and the athletic demands of a powerlifter and gymnast into one job doesn't sound like a recipe for a spry and ripe old age.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Combining the contact injury/PEDs of pro football absent protective gear, with the traveling lifestyle/recreational drug availability of a rock band, and the athletic demands of a powerlifter and gymnast into one job doesn't sound like a recipe for a spry and ripe old age.

This.

And the use of truly prodigious amounts of roids.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »
Is the bat-sh!t crazy personality a perquisite for pro wrestling or it an artifact of doing so?

I fell asleep before the end of the Local Nooze and woke up a little while later to discover a Pro Wrestling show on the tube.  It was sort of like driving past a horrific accident - I knew I should not rubberneck but just could not turn away.  Those people are seriously mentally ill!

After about 5 minutes of talking at the picture I realized what I was doing and changed the channel to an old Vincent Price sci-fi horror movie.  One that made much more sense.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 10:14:41 PM »
Roids are bad mmkay.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »
The amount of roads doc z prescribed was mind boggling . On the same order as the pain pills jerry lee Lewis's bass player got. When that case went to court the Feds were planning on exhuming him to try to document the abuse. Much to their surprise he was alive. And then there's Keith Richards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:10:51 AM »
Is the bat-sh!t crazy personality a perquisite for pro wrestling or it an artifact of doing so?

I fell asleep before the end of the Local Nooze and woke up a little while later to discover a Pro Wrestling show on the tube.  It was sort of like driving past a horrific accident - I knew I should not rubberneck but just could not turn away.  Those people are seriously mentally ill!

After about 5 minutes of talking at the picture I realized what I was doing and changed the channel to an old Vincent Price sci-fi horror movie.  One that made much more sense.

stay safe.
It is all acting.  Some people like that insanity.  No less real that Reality TV I guess.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »
There was an article I saw yesterday talking about the physiological dangers of dropping weight too fast.  It cited MMA fighters who drop a lot of weight before a weigh in and then try to rehydrate, etc before the fight.  Apparently, it screws you up.  I am not sure if Pro Wrestlers do that, but I can't imagine all those steriods and such works.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »
It is all acting.  Some people like that insanity.  No less real that Reality TV I guess.
That.
Pro wrestling is a good analogy to politics. There are play actors who take on opposing good snd evil roles for the fans, but tjey ate all good friends when the cametas ate off them and they ate counting their money. Except the unfortunate difference where most politicians don't die of heart attacks BY The time THey are 50
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
There was an article I saw yesterday talking about the physiological dangers of dropping weight too fast.  It cited MMA fighters who drop a lot of weight before a weigh in and then try to rehydrate, etc before the fight.  Apparently, it screws you up.  I am not sure if Pro Wrestlers do that, but I can't imagine all those steriods and such works.

Pro wrestlers do not.  There is no need, no real weight classes, etc.  Pro wrestling was the first scripted "reality teevee."

High school and college wrestlers do drop weight for the weigh in and then try to rehydrate.  I was required to keep my weight between 211 and 219 lbs the season I wresteled, so I could wrestle in either the 220lb weight class (220 or less down to 200 or 198 or something there'bouts) or as a heavyweight (Max 275lbs, min 210 lbs).  Not hard for me, but a real trial for some boys who were still growing and filling out. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 08:54:37 PM »
Many years ago as a broadcast engineer, I ran a camera for the TV station that televised Portland Wrestling.  Luckily I only had to work a half dozen or so of the 'wrestling' matches.
The best fun was in watching the crowd as they were far more entertaining.  They made The People of Wal-Mart look good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:56:39 PM »

Yep.  Drugs, steroids, injuries, powerlifting, etc are all a tax on the system. There's no regulatory board, players union oversight or any demand whatsoever to keep these folks healthy. Quite the contrary.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Lee

• friend

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
And for every one that makes a *expletive deleted*it ton of money (blowing it all or not) there's God knows how many that never make it past high school gyms and usually end up just as if not more broken down.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.