Author Topic: Japan: Man arrested for building homemade guns  (Read 3698 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Japan: Man arrested for building homemade guns
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:57:47 PM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/03/japanese-man-arrested-building-homemade-guns/

Some pretty neat, albeit a bit crude (not bad for the tools it looks like he had access to), little guns for a guy in a non-firearm-friendly country coming up with his own designs.

Does further show the flaw in the thoughts of many hoplophobes that want all guns banned. Once a technology is out of the bag like that, you can't put it back in. People (to include criminals and rebels) are just going to make them in their basement...

brimic

• friends
Re: Japan: Man arrested for building homemade guns
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:29:59 AM »
Reminds me of this, but with Japane styling:

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:26:39 PM »
Well, political leaders can't get all the way down to banning rocks because they are not instruments which guarantee political freedom.

Except for the caveman days.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
What amazes me is that he made them out of "scrap" anvils.
I can find guns easier than anvils and I've been looking for a decent anvil!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »
What amazes me is that he made them out of "scrap" anvils.
I can find guns easier than anvils and I've been looking for a decent anvil!

Mail order them from Acme Corp.  Order two and get a free box of holes.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »
Shame it's not 70 lbs, then they could use USPS priority mail... "If it fits, it ships !!"

I ordered lots of lead shot that way, I remember getting 7-8 boxes that each weighed just over 69lbs.  My mailman got a very nice tip that year....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
That "anvil" thing strikes me as a mistranslation.  Somehow I can't imagine cutting up an actual anvil for source material, which ain't easy.  

Surely there were other sources of suitable scrap. I used to pick up all kinds of raw materials for my shop around building sites, railroad tracks, repair shops, etc.   I once built a horizontal steam engine out of an MG brake cylinder, just as an example.

Gotta admire his mech-tech mentality though, regardless.

I note that in the top-break revolver, the muzzle opening doesn't match the holes in the cylinder, which are much smaller. I doubt that it's a result of photographic distortion.  So what gives there? ???

Terry
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 06:18:20 PM by 230RN »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
In one of the pictures there was what was left of what looked like some sort of jeweler's anvil- tiny little thing that couldn't weigh more than a pound or two.seams to me that it would have been much easier to get a quality steel from truck leaf springs...

Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-RARE-STEEL-HORN-ANVIL-JEWELER-WATCHMAKER-METALSMITH-BLACKSMITH-BENCH-TOOL-/121612699013

As Kingcreek said, it really isn't very easy to find a good blacksmith anvil at a good price, and when you do, it's 3 states away making shipping costs prohibitive..

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »
In one of the pictures there was what was left of what looked like some sort of jeweler's anvil- tiny little thing that couldn't weigh more than a pound or two.seams to me that it would have been much easier to get a quality steel from truck leaf springs...

Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-RARE-STEEL-HORN-ANVIL-JEWELER-WATCHMAKER-METALSMITH-BLACKSMITH-BENCH-TOOL-/121612699013

As Kingcreek said, it really isn't very easy to find a good blacksmith anvil at a good price, people pay top dollar  for them to use as garden decorations, which I don't get, and when you do, it's 3 states away making shipping costs prohibitive..

Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
I s'pose that could be, I missed that.

I guess someday they'll catch some potter someplace building or attempting to build a firearm out of ceramics.  ZOMG !

And I keep thinking the "Liberator" pistol of WWII did not need or have rifling.  (I believe the modern reproduction of it is rifled, though.)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »
You can make an anvil out of railroad rails so maybe that's what he did. Of course why make an anvil just to turn into a gun?

Do anvils wear out?

Maybe he had or found one that broke somehow and he used that metal and the report was not clear in that it said "he used an anvil" instead of: "He used the type of metal found in an anvil" or "he used a broken anvil for the source of his metal."
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 07:37:23 PM »
^"You can make an anvil out of railroad rails so maybe that's what he did. Of course why make an anvil just to turn into a gun? "

I actually did that once --make an anvil out of a section of railroad track.  Don't remember what happened to it, maybe it went with the lathe I sold.

Wasn't till decades later I discovered that picking up a section of railroad track was probably illegal as still being property of the railroad.

"Maybe he had or found one that broke somehow and he used that metal and the report was not clear in that it said 'he used an anvil' instead of: 'He used the type of metal found in an anvil" or "he used a broken anvil for the source of his metal.'"

That sounds more logical.  I found in dinking around a little bit with Japanese, a lot of words' definitions depend on fuzzy context and can easily be mistranslated.

I'd just say they were made out of "found materials" and let it go at that.

Sayonara,

Terry, 230RN

NOTE: "The literal meaning of "sayonara" is "since it must be so." It is an acceptance of the fact that we cannot avoid parting for now, so it's meant for long goodbyes."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:55:45 PM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 07:54:54 PM »
Every anvil has a gun inside, just waiting to get out . . . you only need to carve away the non-gun part.   ;)

I wonder what the chances are of getting someone to get that Japanese gentleman an H1B visa . . . I suspect he'd be the kind of immigrant we might like to have more of.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »
^ "I wonder what the chances are of getting someone to get that Japanese gentleman an H1B visa . . . I suspect he'd be the kind of immigrant we might like to have more of."

Good idea, 'cept he's a criminal now... or will be on conviction.  And of course, we don't let criminals into this cuntry.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
. . .And of course, we don't let criminals into this cuntry.
I thought we let in around 11 or 12 million from south of the border?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 01:26:17 AM »
You can make an anvil out of railroad rails so maybe that's what he did. Of course why make an anvil just to turn into a gun?

Do anvils wear out?

Maybe he had or found one that broke somehow and he used that metal and the report was not clear in that it said "he used an anvil" instead of: "He used the type of metal found in an anvil" or "he used a broken anvil for the source of his metal."

Anvils do wear out, crack, break, and have their hardened faces chip and spall apart ir seperate from the body. They need do be one solid unit to function properly- the hammer hits your steel from one side and the anvil springs back from the other side, a cracked ir seperated anvil will be 'dead' and will waste a lot of the hammer's energy. They also have to have the most amountof mass  under the hammer as practically possible. For this reason, a railroad track makes a poor anvil, unless its stood on end. I actually  use a 3.5' length of track stood on end occasionally- the roughky 2" diameter cross section of the rail top makes a great striking surface.
As I stated in an earluer post, there is at least one cut up miniature anvil in one of the pics, those are pretty easy to come by.

Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 03:40:40 AM »
I thought we let in around 11 or 12 million from south of the border?

Yeah, must be why I made the Freudian slip of mis-spelling "country."  Just noticed that.  Stet

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 06:02:07 PM »
That "anvil" thing strikes me as a mistranslation.  Somehow I can't imagine cutting up an actual anvil for source material, which ain't easy.  

Surely there were other sources of suitable scrap. I used to pick up all kinds of raw materials for my shop around building sites, railroad tracks, repair shops, etc.   I once built a horizontal steam engine out of an MG brake cylinder, just as an example.

Or just use a shovel, http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic