Author Topic: Which Covid vaccine are you folks getting?  (Read 3727 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Which Covid vaccine are you folks getting?
« on: March 12, 2021, 06:29:39 PM »
The Seniors I bowl with are all getting the Moderna and are reporting being quite ill after the second shot.  Fever, chills, upset stomach, etc.  I wonder if that is a factor of age, or the type of vaccine.  Thoughts?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Which Covid vaccine are you folks getting?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 06:36:57 PM »
Dunno about why your friends are having a reaction to Moderna.  There are reports oF some people having bad reactions,  of varying degrees, to these vaccines.  Some say with the double dose types the second dose is worse,  and the experts say this is actually a good sign, since it means it's working.

I don't know which one I'll take and don't even know if I will have a choice.  I'll take what they offer;  I think the vaccines are pretty safe and effective and I don't want to catch THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN  - - - - - oooooops,  I mean covid19. =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 06:38:24 PM »
I'm hearing the same thing. That is a normal day for me so still not sure how bad my reaction might be. I'm still waiting to see and staying safe.

We haven't had a new case around here in a few months so we might have reached immunity level with everyone getting it right before thanksgiving.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 06:40:49 PM »
I got the two-barrel Pfizer injection. The first dose didn't effect me, but the second dose three weeks later left me feeling like dog sh*t for the next 48 hours.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 06:41:40 PM »
I got the Pfizer vaccine; just the first so far.  My parents (84 and 90 y.o.) just got the second Moderna vaccine yesterday and don't seem to have any ill effects from it.

My 30yo daughter just got the first Moderna shot today.  (school teachers get to jump the line now.  I don't have a big problem with that; a small problem maybe)
"It's good, though..."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 07:48:58 PM »
My wife got the Moderna, I got the Pfizer.  Neither of us had any ill effects after the second shot.  We're both 71

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
None.
I have no intention of being a guinea pig for this "experiment".
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 09:03:38 PM »
I signed up to get it through the VA on 4 April but I’m on the fence if I’ll take it or not.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 09:11:06 PM »
I received the two dose Pfizer, my wife received the single dose J and J, and my son received the two dose Moderna. We are 61, 63, and 34 respectively. No side effects for any of us. The shingles vaccine was worse.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 09:20:00 PM »
I got the two-barrel Pfizer injection. The first dose didn't effect me, but the second dose three weeks later left me feeling like dog sh*t for the next 48 hours.

There are two major VA facilities in my state. The one nearest to me is a full-fledged hospital, the one up-state (which I have never visited) is apparently more of a large clinic. The hospital is dishing out the Pfizer vaccine, because they have the refrigeration to store it at the required temperature. The other facility doesn't have super-cold storage, so they are distributing the Moderna version.

I had both shots of the Pfizer version in January. Neither one knocked me out, but my arm was very sore for about a week after the first dose. After the second dose, the arm was less sore, and it only lasted a couple of days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 09:45:40 PM »
I got the J&J one hit wonder. Day after I was a bit fatigued, nothing worse than a didn't sleep great last night level. Otherwise, no issues.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 10:06:51 PM »
I won't be getting the jab.

If forced at gunpoint,  the J&J one sounds the least bad.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 11:09:29 PM »
I got poked once at the VA with the Johnson. Felt fine that day, a LITTLE lethargic the next day and normal ever since.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 11:15:10 PM »
I got poked once at the VA with the Johnson. Felt fine that day, a LITTLE lethargic the next day and normal ever since.

Huh huh.. huh huh huh.

There's a Beavis and Butthead level joke there somewhere abut Seamen and a Johnson Poke....

I'll see myself out  :cool:
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »
Got my first shot (Pfizer) Saturday, 20 Feb, zero negative effects, not even any soreness from the needle.

Was supposed to get my second shot today, 13 March, three weeks after the first shot, but that has been postponed because of the predicted heavy snowstorm, to next Saturday, four weeks after the first one.  They say that's OK, in terms of effectiveness, but who the hell knows for sure?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:58:18 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2021, 09:49:33 AM »
are the first and second shots the same thing and same amount?
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »
^ My understanding, subject to correction, is that for Pfizer, they are the same.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 10:05:59 AM »
I believe they are identical too.

Which is why it was interesting that in the US we have generally prioritized the booster instead of covering more people.

Going from 90% efficacy to 95% efficacy (an approximation of the value of the second shot) strikes me as less important in most cases than giving another person 90% protection

But maybe it has to do with the kind of people who are supposed to be getting the shot in the first rounds.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 10:25:24 AM »
It seems like it would make more sense to vaccinate twice as many people with the limited vaccine.  BUT (hehehe, "big butt") the supply might not be all *that* limited, and the real issue might be the logistics of contacting and vaccinating twice as many people in the same time period.  Also, the trials were conducted using 2 shots and they might not want to deviate from the tested protocol.  (90% efficacy, but for how long?)

They could also do a compromise; do not reserve a second dose when you get the the first shot, assume the supply will catch up and schedule a booster shot in 2 or 3 months.  And call it a booster shot; let folks know that they are vaccinated after the first one but it might not last if they don't get the booster.  Some will get the 2nd shot and some will wait for next year's vaccine like a flu shots.

I wonder if we've learned anything from all this towards developing a cold vaccine?  They'd have to find something to target that was common to all rhinovirus and/or adenovirus.
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2021, 11:09:53 AM »
They haven't necessarily learned anything they didn't already know, but this is a big moment for mRNA vaccines. They are very easy to make and easy to target. They just weren't in widespread use. If the whole world is going to get one, the doors are opened to make not just mRNA vaccines but also "vaccines" for a variety of other things. This really could be a new frontier in medicine, kicking us to some extent out of the age of medication into the age of gene therapy.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2021, 03:10:59 PM »
They haven't necessarily learned anything they didn't already know, but this is a big moment for mRNA vaccines. They are very easy to make and easy to target. They just weren't in widespread use. If the whole world is going to get one, the doors are opened to make not just mRNA vaccines but also "vaccines" for a variety of other things. This really could be a new frontier in medicine, kicking us to some extent out of the age of medication into the age of gene therapy.

I'll keep my genes the way they are thank you.  I don't trust medical science enough to voluntarily let them mess with how my body works, the same reason I haven't gotten the Covid vaccine, too iffy for me.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 06:50:20 PM »
My genes are as perfect as humanly possible and I ain't changin' 'em!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »
Which Covid vaccine are you folks getting?

I trust nature's own. I must already have it. I've had nary a sniffle since the panic started.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 08:06:34 PM »
Reckon how long before we can expect to start seeing roving bands of reavers?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2021, 10:17:04 PM »
Where's my cunning hat when I need it?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG