Author Topic: Which Covid vaccine are you folks getting?  (Read 3724 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Which Covid vaccine are you folks getting?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 11:03:41 PM »
Where's my cunning hat when I need it?
The linguist took it?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2021, 01:26:48 AM »
I’m not champing at the bit for any of them.  All else being equal (which it never is) I’d probably prefer the J&J version since there’s no mRNA aspect.  But, to get that I’ll have to stop taking the amantadine for a couple weeks.  Not a huge deal as if I don’t tell anyone I’m stopping that’ll add a couple weeks worth to my “earthquake supply”. 

But I won’t have the option for a while regardless.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 07:47:37 AM »
Update from Wife1 via Son2.  She got her second shot a couple of days earlier than three weeks.  She was in the facility for something else Thursday and someone was running around asking people if they needed a shot (Pfizer) so she got her second one.  Son2 reports she was tired the next day, and yesterday, Saturday, was just "unmotivated."

My guess is they expected to be closed over the weekend because of the threatened super perfect snowstorm from hell and shots would be going to waste otherwise.  I don't know if they have freezer storage or not... in any case they had enough extra at the time, Thursday.... but could have been due to cancellations.

For myself, I keep "believing" that I got a dose of the Covid bug in September of 2019 when I went in to the ER of the local full-fledged hospital for something else and a short time later got the worst damned "cold" or "'flu" I ever had in my life. I toughed it out, and people say it couldn't have been Covid since the pandemic didn't start until last April.  But it's not like a "C-19 switch" went on in April, it must have been lurking around, building up numbers until it was finally recognized in April. 
Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:14:58 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »
^^^After you pull the estimated day's worth of Pfizer/Moderna from the freezer, you have 48 hours in which to use it.  It cannot be refrozen.  So if a lesser number of people show up, you have doses that have to be used up unless you want to waste them.  If in my clinic I have 150 doses thawed, and I have used 130, we are asking patients if they want a vaccine or can their spouse/partner get down to the clinic in the next 30 minutes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
Reckon how long before we can expect to start seeing roving bands of reavers?

Won't be long now. I think they are still incubating ...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2021, 12:11:44 PM »
^^^After you pull the estimated day's worth of Pfizer/Moderna from the freezer, you have 48 hours in which to use it.  It cannot be refrozen.  So if a lesser number of people show up, you have doses that have to be used up unless you want to waste them.  If in my clinic I have 150 doses thawed, and I have used 130, we are asking patients if they want a vaccine or can their spouse/partner get down to the clinic in the next 30 minutes.

Thanks, MillCreek.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2021, 06:15:57 PM »
I believe they are identical too.

Which is why it was interesting that in the US we have generally prioritized the booster instead of covering more people.

Going from 90% efficacy to 95% efficacy (an approximation of the value of the second shot) strikes me as less important in most cases than giving another person 90% protection

But maybe it has to do with the kind of people who are supposed to be getting the shot in the first rounds.

I would guess that would depend on how you balance out the number of personnel involved in administering the shots.  Essentially, you need twice as many people (and twice as much drug production rate) with the booster shot scheme than with the one-shot scheme.

I see it as probable, with the vast medical industry (personnel-wise) in the US, and the production capabiities, it was a good decision to go to the booster shot regime here in the U.S.

That's the way I see it, anyhow.  Time will tell.

I'm a little concerned about that timing deal, which started out as two weeks, then went to three weeks between shots, and now noises are made about how it doesn't matter that much.

Well, since I got postponed to four weeks now, I'm wondering how they are quantifying "much" today, 14 March, as opposed to tomorrow, 15 March.

I'm still hunkering down, not going out but once a week or so for provender, and exercising max caution.

One-Shot Terry

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2021, 11:53:30 AM »
I would guess that would depend on how you balance out the number of personnel involved in administering the shots.  Essentially, you need twice as many people (and twice as much drug production rate) with the booster shot scheme than with the one-shot scheme.

I see it as probable, with the vast medical industry (personnel-wise) in the US, and the production capabiities, it was a good decision to go to the booster shot regime here in the U.S.

That's the way I see it, anyhow.  Time will tell.

I'm a little concerned about that timing deal, which started out as two weeks, then went to three weeks between shots, and now noises are made about how it doesn't matter that much.

Well, since I got postponed to four weeks now, I'm wondering how they are quantifying "much" today, 14 March, as opposed to tomorrow, 15 March.

I'm still hunkering down, not going out but once a week or so for provender, and exercising max caution.

One-Shot Terry

Ah! Thanks. I now have a new word to add to my vocabulary. "Provender".  =)

No-Shot Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2021, 06:34:40 PM »
The wife got schnoz swabbed today, pre-op for her ankle surgery this Friday. I told her to moan "Nyah, harder daddy!" when they did it. She DID! They weren't amused.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2021, 02:36:59 AM »
^ ROFFLE  That was both gross and hilarious.  The best kind of story.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2021, 09:00:49 AM »
For myself, I keep "believing" that I got a dose of the Covid bug in September of 2019 when I went in to the ER of the local full-fledged hospital for something else and a short time later got the worst damned "cold" or "'flu" I ever had in my life. I toughed it out, and people say it couldn't have been Covid since the pandemic didn't start until last April.  But it's not like a "C-19 switch" went on in April, it must have been lurking around, building up numbers until it was finally recognized in April.  And as far as the timing from China goes, I would not believe Thing One that the Chinese say.

April?

My state was reporting the progress of the pandemic in early March. The first case was reported on March 8, so it's almost certain there were cases before that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2021, 09:29:52 AM »
I'm getting the Herd Immunity Vaccine.

The customer I work for has determined that its staff and its contractors are critical to national security and defense and issued us letters determining us to be in the 1b category to be used to get vaccines locally.

Of course, Fairfax County, Virginia, doesn't include essential national security workers in its 1b classification group and there's no way that I can figure out how to get in touch with them to clarify how to register for an appointment.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:50:15 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2021, 10:39:05 AM »
April?

My state was reporting the progress of the pandemic in early March. The first case was reported on March 8, so it's almost certain there were cases before that.

A relative of my brother in law had a business trip to New York City in November 2019.  Shortly after returning he came down with something very ANDROMEDA STRAIN - - - oooops,  covid19-like.  About mid 2020 he got tested and had antibodies for the COVID 19 virus .... so,  the bug has been here a little longer than some think.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2021, 11:42:27 AM »
I'm getting the Herd Immunity Vaccine.

The customer I work for has determined that its staff and its contractors are critical to national security and defense and issued us letters determining us to be in the 1b category to be used to get vaccines locally.

Of course, Fairfax County, Virginia, doesn't include essential national security workers in its 1b classification group and there's no way that I can figure out how to get in touch with them to clarify how to register for an appointment.

Register in another county.  Also, (no offense) you're still obese, right?  That is a 1B qualifier in most states.  That's how I got mine (in Polk County, TX); they didn't care about my asthma which wis the real reason I wanted the vaccine.  (every time I get a cold, it progresses to bronchitis and sometimes pneumonia and I'm sick for months)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2021, 12:59:11 PM »
Meh.

To be honest, not all that worried or interested.

And yes, I'm obese, which is a health factor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2021, 04:57:16 PM »
The wife got schnoz swabbed today, pre-op for her ankle surgery this Friday. I told her to moan "Nyah, harder daddy!" when they did it. She DID! They weren't amused.

I had 4 surgeries last year. The 1st one was before the plandemic was all in vogue. The 2nd one in June I had to get nasal swabbed, I'm pretty sure it was implemented in such a way that it was more unpleasant than it needed to be. The 3rd was an emergent problem but I was in the hospital 2 nights, 3 days and was never tested. The 4th was in late October and again I was not tested.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2021, 05:08:36 PM »
Neighbors are both nurses at the local hospital.  They currently have a whopping 2 covid cases in-patient.  They’re both pretty big on the vaccine.  But I just don’t see the need for the lockdown in the meantime.  Granted, it was never about health, ability of hospitals to cope, etc anyway.
Formerly sumpnz

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2021, 05:01:18 PM »
Just got the 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2021, 08:44:44 PM »
Dayton VA has Maderna so that’s what I may get on the 30th if I go then with it.  They called and asked if I wanted to come in earlier than the 4th of April. Sure, why not

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2021, 09:21:33 AM »
+17 hours since 1st dose.  Injection site is sore, make sure to move that arm a lot, like a Tetanus shot. Other than that feeling fine.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2021, 06:47:41 PM »
First vaccine finally scheduled for this Wednesday March 24,  second for April 14.  I'm getting the  PhiZeros  (ok,  that's like 5 times autocorrect messed with a real word,  so it stays,  and the ****readers can figure it out [better than autocorrect for sure  >:D ]) version . 

I hope the vaccine works better than autocorrekt. :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2021, 06:58:47 PM »
Wife and I got the Moderna (first one) yesterday. Pretty simple affair. Get an appointment. Drive up and fill out some paperwork, go to shot line and have paperwork reviewed and get shot then drive off to the middle of the desert for 15 minutes and then go back home. From start to finish was less than 30 minutes.

Other than some weird twitching in my vestigial tail it all seems OK. Wife who gets a nasty local reaction to the flu really had nothing this time, but I did pre-medicate her with Benadryl and then every 4 hours until bedtime.

bob

zahc

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2021, 07:06:09 PM »
I really want to get the Johnson and Johnson vaccine because it's only one shot. But nobody even advertises what vaccines they have. It's like they don't want you to know; at this rate I'm surprised they tell you at all. Anybody know if there's any way to pick your vaccine?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2021, 07:14:01 PM »
I just saw an article today that said 46 is sending over two million "unused" vaccine doses to Canada and Mexico. I don't know what the definition of "unused" is. I do know, though I haven't made my mind up on getting the vaccine or not, that currently I am not even eligible for it. You would think "unused" would only kick in after they open vaccinations up to 100% of US citizens.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2021, 07:20:09 PM »
^^^Isn't that the Astra-Zeneca vaccine, which has not yet been approved by the FDA for use in the US?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.