Author Topic: The Mindset of the class of 2009  (Read 6147 times)

Azrael256

• friend
The Mindset of the class of 2009
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 10:15:03 AM »
I fire up the Oil lamps
To pay the appropriate credit where it is due, I'll tell the other story about that whippersnapper who watched the movie with me.

Last October, we had an unexpected 9-hour power outage.  I was annoyed, as I wanted to chill in the lobby and play some video games, but I've voluntarily camped in poorer conditions.  A dorm without power is still paradise compared to most of the world.  Running water, flushing toilets, and a roof that doesn't leak make for a decent place to live even if the lights don't work.  Kids were going home in droves.  I think the dorms were down to half capacity that night.

So a few of us get ready to head over to the visitor center where the foodservice folks had set up dinner.  We do a few cookouts and such on campus during the year, so they had plenty of grills, chafing dishes, and other assorted improvised equipment, and we knew it would be a good meal.  The only concern I had was the fact that the campus was completely dark.  No moon, high clouds, and a three square block area was in the dark.  I wasn't too worried about the fact that we live in a rough neighborhood here, but they were in the process of repairing many of the sidewalks on campus, so there were some pretty serious ankle-breakers all over campus.  Naturally, I grab my flashlight and head down the stairs.  As I come out, I see "whippersnapper" coming down the opposite stairs.  He gets outside, I hear a loud metal squeak, he whips out a lighter...

"Andy, what are you doing?"
"Lighting this thing up.  It's a pain with this zippo."
"What thing?"

It was a brakeman's lantern.  Not the kind that runs on those big 6-volt batteries.  I mean a real oil lantern.

Suddenly, it dawns on me...  Andy is in real good shape, always clean shaven, opens doors for people, whips his cap off when he goes inside, and now he's...  prepared...  hmmm.

"Andy, what was your Eagle project?"
"Oh, we redid the carpet in my church and made cushions for the pews...  Wait, how'd you know I'm an Eagle Scout?"
"Heh...  lucky guess."

He's class of '08.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 11:17:48 AM »
Got my first look at the freshmen on Thursday afternoon.  We had a "meet the departments" session with faculty from each department sitting at tables to answer questions etc.  I'm sure that not all the students bothered to go, but there was quite a handful there, most looking quite young and quite excited about being in college.  Talked to a few students about classes and peoplewatched.

In the midst of the tank tops and flip flops I notice a guy who just has to be an active duty Marine (campus is near a base).  He's in civilian clothes, but they are somewhat dressy and perfectly pressed, he's got the "high and tight" haircut, and that Marine walk.  He also looked to be in his 20s, not the late teens.  It was quite a contrast.  I noticed a couple of the girls checking him out, and it really tickled me.

Happy back to school to all.  To me, this is New Year's, the time to look forward, make some changes, re-evaluate priorities etc.
Experiment with a chemist!

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2005, 04:16:01 PM »
Most students entering college this fall were born in 1987.
Dang, I graduated (HS) in 1987... now I feel old.
Me too, USP. Kinda scary.

Damn. we're old enough to be one of these kids' parents.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Justin

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2005, 06:34:50 AM »
10.     They are more familiar with Greg Gumbel than with Bryant Gumbel.
To my mind at least, this is the most compelling reason for bringing back "Gumbel to Gumbel."

/Too obscure?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2005, 08:22:19 AM »
Actually, the morning-after pill prevents implantation in the uterus in the event the egg becomes fertilized.

Just to clarify...
To the stars!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Mindset of the class of 2009
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 10:35:07 AM »
Oh, so it does cause abortions.  OK

Who's Greg Gumbel? 

They never saw the shuttle Challenger fly.

I know shuttles glide, but they don't actually fly, do they? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
Fistful, we always knew you were a little off.  But reviving a two year dead thread for that response?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 11:24:15 AM »
Does it have to be some extra-special response?  I don't know why people think that threads go stale.  If it was interesting two years ago, it should be interesting now. 

But who's Greg Gumble? 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »
But who's Greg Gumble? 

We ain't sayin...  grin

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2007, 12:01:26 PM »
Once again, my arch nemesis, you forget about my secret weapon.  For I have at my behest the awesome might of the Google.   shocked

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2007, 12:12:06 PM »
Fool!  The Google is no match for my Sneer of Apathy!

Brad
-HankB

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2007, 02:18:47 PM »

It depends how you define abortion. If implantation is the beginning of pregnancy, then no implantation means no pregnancy. Without pregnancy, there is no abortion. Yes, it is a technicality but a valid one, it seems.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »
If that makes you feel better. 

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2007, 12:32:49 AM »

It depends how you define abortion. If implantation is the beginning of pregnancy, then no implantation means no pregnancy. Without pregnancy, there is no abortion. Yes, it is a technicality but a valid one, it seems.
Abortion - The termination of a pregnancy at any time after implantation in the uterus and before viability (ability to survive outside the uterus) of the fetus. For the purposes of this website, abortion refers to a medical procedure performed by a licensed physician, intended to terminate an intrauterine pregnancy, producing a non-viable fetus at any gestational age.
Realize that many women on birth control technically become pregnant, because one of the things that the birth control pill does is prevent implantation of a fertalized egg.

so technically any woman on the pill or a similar method of birth control can have an "abortion" under, err, stranger definitions than the one I quoted.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM