Author Topic: Software advice - database and custom forms  (Read 7150 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Software advice - database and custom forms
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 06:05:25 AM »
Hard to believe the state would place such onerous reporting requirements on a women's shelter.

The state is just one of the entities involved.  There is city, county, and federal reporting, too.  And those are in addition to reporting for grants received through private philanthropic, service, and charity groups.

The reports are for grant jistification.  The grantors want to make sure the grantee is putting the money to good use.

By the way, I keep seeing Paradox pop up as an alternative to Access.  Being a Corel product, and given my respect for the intuitivity and compatibility of Corel's other product, WordPerfect, it piqued my interest.  It also seems to have a very dedicatied and loyal user base.  Anyone with experience?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »
Most of us just want a tool to do a specific job as a means to an end.  You computer/geek/IT/programming people think the software is the end, no matter how many bugs it has or how long it takes.

Well to us programming people, the software is the end. And if the software we write wasn't the end for us, you'd have no software to get to your end, and then we'll all get it in the end.  laugh

Support persons often assume it's the users fault because 90% of the time, it is.

We code monkeys don't like bugs, slow software, or missed deadlines any more than you do. We actually hate them all more, because we have to fix the bugs, make the code more efficient, and work late nights when deadlines are missed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
By the way, I keep seeing Paradox pop up as an alternative to Access.  Being a Corel product, and given my respect for the intuitivity and compatibility of Corel's other product, WordPerfect, it piqued my interest.  It also seems to have a very dedicatied and loyal user base.  Anyone with experience?
Yes.

Paradox is ten times the database Access is.

The learning curve is also ten times longer. And far fewer people use it, so finding anyone other than a hardened Paradox developer to give you any advice will be next to impossible. And the hardened Paradox developer won't GIVE you advice -- he'll offer to develop your application ... probably for a fee of a few to several thousand dollars.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 04:39:07 PM »
Support persons often assume it's the users fault because 90% of the time, it is.
I reject that premise. In fact, it's all Microsoft's fault.

The problem is usually a combination of incorrect or inadequate documentation (which is not the programmers' fault, but it is the responsibility of the overall company selling an application to ensure that the instructions actually correspond to what the screen is doing when you push keys and click mice), coupled with the fact that there are too many nuances built into different brands of computer that make it impossible for the programmers to effectively anticipate all possible glitches. Between the little bits of operating system code that Microsoft keeps hidden for their own, exclusive use and the fact that various computer makers and chip suppliers hard-code in certain deviations from normalcy ... sorry, but I was a software beta tester for a number of years, and often I couldn't even use the provided instructions to install the application, let alone USE it.

Plus -- if YOU want to develop the application and then compile it into a free-standing application so the end users can't muck it up by accident (or by intention) -- the compiler will cost you several tousand bucks.

You'll be FAR better served to buy a copy of Alpha 5 and the cheapest version they offer of the run-time module. I know I keep repeating "Alpha 5," but only because it really is the best tool for your purpose.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 11:23:45 PM »
I reject that premise. In fact, it's all Microsoft's fault.

The problem is usually a combination of incorrect or inadequate documentation (which is not the programmers' fault, but it is the responsibility of the overall company selling an application to ensure that the instructions actually correspond to what the screen is doing when you push keys and click mice), coupled with the fact that there are too many nuances built into different brands of computer that make it impossible for the programmers to effectively anticipate all possible glitches. Between the little bits of operating system code that Microsoft keeps hidden for their own, exclusive use and the fact that various computer makers and chip suppliers hard-code in certain deviations from normalcy ... sorry, but I was a software beta tester for a number of years, and often I couldn't even use the provided instructions to install the application, let alone USE it.

Plus -- if YOU want to develop the application and then compile it into a free-standing application so the end users can't muck it up by accident (or by intention) -- the compiler will cost you several tousand bucks.

You'll be FAR better served to buy a copy of Alpha 5 and the cheapest version they offer of the run-time module. I know I keep repeating "Alpha 5," but only because it really is the best tool for your purpose.

I was referring to Desktop support, for reasons unknown to myself. Software support (something I've also done) is a little different. While there's still a high percentage of user-error, it is quite a bit less as most of that in our case is caught by the clients' IT staff. For a year before I moved up to being a programmer, I worked support for the software I now code. About half of my job was putting in requests for bugs clients had found to be fixed.

Documentation on the product I work on is more or less (more, really) non-existent, and on the specific contract I'm on, would be extremely difficult to do due to the really odd and overly-complicated product the customer has asked for through their specifications. Attempts by myself and others to actually make a program that works and makes sense results in immediate complaints that we didn't follow the spec. So we now just give them the product they ask for, rather than a product that would fit their needs, which results in complaints from the end users, but their management doesn't care, they want it how they asked for it.

On-topic, depending on price, Alpha 5 seems like it would fit the needs best. I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard a lot of good things about it, especially in comparison to Access, which I do (unfortunately) have some experience with.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 04:56:14 AM »
Ah, yes - customer specifications ...

What I really "love" is when the customer calls you up a few months after delivery and frantically asks if you can fix a "bug": a user on the other side of the world is trying to do X and the software won't let him do it.  shocked

I then quote requirement ID ###-##-### that states that the software shall not allow the user to do X.  rolleyes

"Would you like us to do a s/w revision: revise requirements, re-do the code, and regression test the product?"

"Um, no - thanks"  undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin