Author Topic: What happens when you screw up in a combat zone  (Read 1748 times)

CAnnoneer

• friend
What happens when you screw up in a combat zone
« on: November 10, 2007, 03:57:35 PM »
Curious little clip - what happens when you ignore principles as old as Herbert McBride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqAYdj8LSqQ&NR=1

cassandra and sara's daddy

Re: What happens when you screw up in a combat zone
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »
whys the israeli speaking german?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 04:11:47 PM »
Curious little clip - what happens when you ignore principles as old as Herbert McBride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqAYdj8LSqQ&NR=1

If I was there, I think I'd be assuming that someone was creeping around with an SVD, looking back at me looking at their people down below.

I do not think those are Israelis...it's all German? Huh?

Len Budney

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »
whys the israeli speaking german?

The subtitles are in German, but they're speaking Hebrew. The sound is too poor and/or my fluency isn't good enough to make out much of what they're saying. Near the end he says the f-word in English though.

I'm not entirely clear which principles Cannoneer is referring to; from the skimpy images, it looks to me like they're in a guard tower, not a sniper's hide. If so, their position would have been well known to the locals. So where did they mess up, other than failing to spot a needle in a haystack?

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 07:30:04 PM »
So where did they mess up?

As a sniper, you take a shot and MOVE. Not "take a shot, reveal your position, and stay there cracking jokes while waiting for the other sniper to shoot you in the face." That's one of the basic principles written about as early as  sniper training school manuals during WW1. It does not make much sense to say "but he was already in plain sight", because he should not have been - another basic rule from the same manuals.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:46:17 PM »
Stick me 10' back from a window in one of those rooms, and he'd be meat...

Whichever ossifer decided that that tower would be a good -consistent- sniper nest was an idiot.

Blog under construction

Len Budney

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 02:08:39 AM »
So where did they mess up?

As a sniper, you take a shot and MOVE. Not "take a shot, reveal your position..."

The Israelis weren't snipers. AFAICT, they were posted in a guard tower. They didn't have the option of moving.

-Len.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 02:19:06 AM »
The Israelis weren't snipers.

It seems you missed the guy's sniper rifle or that he got shot AFTER shooting himself.

AFAICT, they were posted in a guard tower. They didn't have the option of moving.

We do not know if they did not have an option to move. If they did, they should have. If they did not, their CO screwed up by ordering the sniper to deploy there. Either way, the entire thing was a big screw-up, ergo the title of the thread.

Len Budney

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 02:25:53 AM »
The Israelis weren't snipers.

It seems you missed the guy's sniper rifle or that he got shot AFTER shooting himself.

I have a sniper rifle. A "sniper rifle" does not a sniper make. AFAICT from the video, he was a guard with a scoped rifle.

AFAICT, they were posted in a guard tower. They didn't have the option of moving.

We do not know if they did not have an option to move. If they did, they should have.

Sure: if they did, they should have. We can't tell if they did. The position looks like an assigned post rather than a sniper hide; for starters, as Bogie implicitly noticed, they were leaning out the window to shoot. They should have been 10' back all along.

Either way, the entire thing was a big screw-up, ergo the title of the thread.

It does look like someone screwed up somewhere, but there isn't enough information to say where.

--Len.