Author Topic: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US  (Read 6857 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2023, 03:09:18 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2023, 03:34:22 PM »
Shooting it down over the Atlantic when it's finished with its work instead of over the Pacific before it started, is on brand for Brandon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2023, 03:35:38 PM »
A family friend just sent us a still shot their cousin took of the shoot down.  The cousin lives at Myrtle Beach, SC, and described the shoot down as very loud.  The boom from the missile explosion was quite loud on the ground where they were.  The picture shows a smoke trail falling to the ground, not much else besides that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2023, 03:44:24 PM »
Does this guy get to paint a balloon on the side of his plane?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2023, 04:12:06 PM »
Does this guy get to paint a balloon on the side of his plane?

I sure as hell would.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2023, 05:02:18 PM »
If this becomes a regular thing will we have balloon aces?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2023, 05:07:18 PM »
I'm just cracking up that all the usual suspects were attacking conservatives over their paranoia about a civilian weather balloon, and now that Brandon ordered it shot down, they have done a 180 and the news is full of stories about what a hero he is saving the public from the communist menace and how we'll now be able to recover top secret Chinese military tech.  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2023, 06:08:50 PM »
Surprised no one has brought up Lawnchair Larry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawnchair_Larry_flight
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2023, 06:11:43 PM »
Hey, that was a long time ago.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2023, 06:12:22 PM »
Surprised no one has brought up Lawnchair Larry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawnchair_Larry_flight
Would he count as one balloon splash or 40 something?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2023, 07:45:12 PM »
On the news, some of the talking heads are heaping praise on the pilot who shot down the balloon - brave, valiant, heroic, etc.

We have arguably the finest military pilots in the world, superbly trained, flying some of the most advanced fighters in the world. Shooting a BALLOON isn't even up to the challenge of a typical training flight - that the pilot went up and took his assigned SIMPLE task seriously enough to do it right the first time, is nothing less than we'd expect. It's WAY below their level of competence.

I'm just wondering two things - one, why was a missile used rather than a (very) short burst of cannon fire, and two, how much did the Chicoms pay someone (the Bidens? Pentagon brass? Someone else?)  to let the balloon cross the entire country?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2023, 08:02:48 PM »

I'm just wondering two things - one, why was a missile used rather than a (very) short burst of cannon fire, and two, how much did the Chicoms pay someone (the Bidens? Pentagon brass? Someone else?)  to let the balloon cross the entire country?

Experience trying to pop a balloon.

https://www.businessinsider.com/runaway-weather-balloon-fighter-jets-history-2023-2?op=1

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2023, 09:23:28 PM »
^^^Wow, shooting down a balloon is not as simple as it seems.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2023, 10:09:10 PM »
On the news, some of the talking heads are heaping praise on the pilot who shot down the balloon - brave, valiant, heroic, etc.

We have arguably the finest military pilots in the world, superbly trained, flying some of the most advanced fighters in the world. Shooting a BALLOON isn't even up to the challenge of a typical training flight - that the pilot went up and took his assigned SIMPLE task seriously enough to do it right the first time, is nothing less than we'd expect. It's WAY below their level of competence.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2023, 10:12:06 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2023, 10:28:49 AM »
I read that an AIM-9x Sidewinder was used to down the balloon, and I have just read the Wikepedia article on the Sidewinder missile.  It uses an infrared seeker.  I would not think a balloon generates much in the way of heat, so I am wondering how the missile hit the balloon.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2023, 10:33:13 AM »
I read that an AIM-9x Sidewinder was used to down the balloon, and I have just read the Wikepedia article on the Sidewinder missile.  It uses an infrared seeker.  I would not think a balloon generates much in the way of heat, so I am wondering how the missile hit the balloon.

The balloon would no doubt be heated by the sun and thus be warmer than the surrounding air plus solar panels tend to get a bit warm in the sun. I have read a AIM-9X can even lock on to the heat generated by air rushing over and under the wings and fuselage, and into the intakes of a fast moving plane in head on shots in many cases. Think that capability started with the AIM-9L and has no doubt been improved on since.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 10:52:44 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »
From what I read, the AIM-9x uses mid, not long wave IR, so heat alone is not the only aiming component. Apparently the Block 2 missiles can also be controlled from the aircraft after launch.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2023, 11:20:53 AM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2023, 12:24:27 PM »
Former President Trump and a number of his top national security and defense officials refuted Biden administration officials' claims that Chinese surveillance balloons briefly transited the continental United States during the Trump administration, saying it "never happened."

Trump, top national security officials refute claim that Chinese spy balloons transited US under last admin
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-top-national-security-officials-refute-claim-chinese-spy-balloons-transited-us-under-last-admin
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2023, 01:30:33 PM »

No warhead to minimize damage to the sensors and examine them later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2xz21HvLs8
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2023, 02:36:22 PM »
Frank Luke wouldn't have waited days to take action.  He'd jumped right into his SPAD and taken care of business [ar15]

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2023, 06:20:03 PM »
Not a shoot down. Just a weirdly lit contrail buffeted by upper level winds.

On second thought, it might have been a meteor.  They will leave contrails like that as they move through the air at high altitude.  They will even "explode" when chunks break off while they plummet through the atmosphere.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2023, 11:31:54 PM »
Just Alibaba trying to one up Amazon's delivery drones

Samuel Adams