Author Topic: The Phony Farm Labor Crisis  (Read 1343 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Phony Farm Labor Crisis
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »
http://www.cnbc.com/id/48847903.com

It’s become something of an annual tradition.

Every summer, newspapers around the country roll out stories of a labor shortage on farms. The fruit is going to rot in the orchards, crops will go unpicked, agricultural communities will be devastated unless something is done, the stories predict.

Here’s a pretty typical version of the story, as told by the San Francisco Chronicle:
    But the American Farm Bureau Federation and its California chapter believe there is plenty of reason to worry.

"There have been instances in which growers had to disc up whole crops because they didn't have the workforce to harvest," said Kristi Boswell, the Farm Bureau's director of congressional relations. She points to Georgia, where whole tomato fields were plowed under last year. "The workforce has been decreasing in the last two to three years, but last year it was drastic."

And farmers are saying this year is even worse.

In recent years, we’ve seen just how resilient this narrative really is. You’d think the idea of a labor shortage in the midst of on ongoing job drought would be laughed out of town. (Read more: When Are You Retiring?...How Does Never Sound?)

But somehow the story keeps getting told and taken seriously. According to the Farm Labor Shortage Mythologists, American citizens are just too lazy and would rather go jobless than work on a farm.

Do read the whole thing and follow the links. Plenty of actual data, too.

The bottom line regarding this sort of produce is that the cost of hired/seasonal farm labor is a small part of the cost to the consumer.  Double or triple the labor cost and the consumer sees a head of lettuce go up a few cents.  Other factors are much greater WRT the end user cost: weather, inflation, fuel costs, etc.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: The Phony Farm Labor Crisis
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
A farm labor shortage sounds reasonable to me.

I've been saying for several years that part of the problem with America is Americans' unwillingness to do manual labor. Everyone wants to work in a nice cool office.

Most of the people I've met who whine about not being able to find a job, COULD find a job if they lowered their expectations a bit. When i got off active duty I had a rough time finding work, so I took what I could get. I worked some crap jobs until I found what I wanted.

I've heard many people say things like "I don't WANT to government to give me a handout. I WANT a job!" Meanwhile, there are farm jobs, oil jobs, and food service jobs going unfilled.

It's infuriating.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
Most of the people I've met who whine about not being able to find a job, COULD find a job if they lowered their expectations a bit.
^
This.

My employment history:
Busboy
Strawberry Picker
Fast Food
Navy (Deck Hand)
Navy (Crypto)
Private Security

Didn't start out with a nice sit-and-swivel AC'd job. I think my Mom (who grew up on a farm in the 40's) had a pretty good saying for this situation: "Never be ashamed if you have to resort to flipping burgers, it's honest work."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
Yeah, but not the point. 

Point being, despite the degradation of our culture and the work ethic, that enough folks are being found to work these farms...and at record profits...despite fewer illegals in many of the states.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »
Trouble is that the unemployed folks mostly don't live anywhere near the farm work, nor is there housing available.

Might not be the low pay or the hard work so much as sleeping in your car or on the ground.  =|

Might be a good life following the crops if one had a small RV.

Working in an office ain't all that great either.

I've done a whole bunch of different work in my life so far.  It would almost be easier to list the things that I haven't done  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »
Hasn't the Obama admin changed the laws on child labor concern ag jobs as well?
When I was a kid under 16, I made some pretty good money (for a preteen-young teen) working for a seed farm detassling corn, a Christmas tree farm trimming trees, and a veal farm building stalls. Yes there were migrant workers in these operations as well, but probably only 1 for every 20 or so kids. A lot of other kids my age did similar work- bailing hay, picking fruits/vegetables, etc.
I'm not even sure that kids 12-15 years old can even legally do these jobs anymore.

The 'cheap' labor we get from open borders is very expensive when you consider the cost of all of the negatives that also cross the border.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
Trouble is that the unemployed folks mostly don't live anywhere near the farm work, nor is there housing available.

Might not be the low pay or the hard work so much as sleeping in your car or on the ground.  =|

Might be a good life following the crops if one had a small RV.

Working in an office ain't all that great either.

I've done a whole bunch of different work in my life so far.  It would almost be easier to list the things that I haven't done  :lol:

The farm work was only one example

However, I've moved cross country to avoid drawing unemployment. If I can do it, others can too.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »
Hasn't the Obama admin changed the laws on child labor concern ag jobs as well?
When I was a kid under 16, I made some pretty good money (for a preteen-young teen) working for a seed farm detassling corn, a Christmas tree farm trimming trees, and a veal farm building stalls. Yes there were migrant workers in these operations as well, but probably only 1 for every 20 or so kids. A lot of other kids my age did similar work- bailing hay, picking fruits/vegetables, etc.
I'm not even sure that kids 12-15 years old can even legally do these jobs anymore.

The 'cheap' labor we get from open borders is very expensive when you consider the cost of all of the negatives that also cross the border.

If I recall correctly, and I may not be, I think a lot of the child labor restrictions have been done by OSHA and various state labor safety agencies. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »
If I recall correctly, and I may not be, I think a lot of the child labor restrictions have been done by OSHA and various state labor safety agencies. 

Nope, it was the feds, but the rule(s) got scrapped:

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/224169-obama-administration-scraps-child-labor-rules-for-farms

Just remember, prior the the introduction of the minimum wage, there was no such thing as unemployment.  (The market always seemed to find jobs for everyone who wanted one.)

And yes.  I de-tasseled corn one summer.  And worked at McDonalds on the weekends.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »
I'm smelling a rat somewhere - I saw head lettuce yesterday @ Sam's for $1.58! Insanity.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen