Author Topic: Any poorly-thought-out food item now = St Louis style  (Read 465 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Any poorly-thought-out food item now = St Louis style
« on: March 28, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/internet-continues-to-dunk-on-st-louis-style-crime-against-bagels/ar-BBVj2pc

A crime is being committed against bagels and it’s happening in St. Louis. A photo of “a St Louis secret” — vertically... sliced... bagels — is making the internet rounds today, creating quite a debate. Yes, bagels in St. Louis are apparently being sliced like a loaf of bread despite having a hole in the middle and being completely unlike a loaf of bread. Perhaps this special slicing method should have stayed a secret. As many Eater editors pointed out today, this practice is very wrong.

The internet seems to agree that this says something more about St. Louis as a food city. And being the internet, the discussion eventually transformed this bagel horrorshow (now referred to as #bagelgate) into a “St. Louis style” meme.

So now folks are posting weird food ideas on the internets, and just calling it "St. Louis style." I guess St. Louis deserves it.

In defense of toasted ravioli, though, toasting the ravioli is a way of improving a bland, unappealing food.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Any poorly-thought-out food item now = St Louis style
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
I enjoyed the gooey butter cake, pizza with Provel, and the BBQ pork steak when I was in town doing some work for Barnes.  The ice cream where the guy turned it upside down before handing it to me was nothing spectacular, but I am not much of an ice cream person.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 10:06:56 PM »
The ice cream where the guy turned it upside down before handing it to me was nothing spectacular, but I am not much of an ice cream person.

So you were at a Dairy Queen? Not exactly exclusively to St. Louis... :laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »
I enjoyed the gooey butter cake, pizza with Provel, and the BBQ pork steak when I was in town doing some work for Barnes.  The ice cream where the guy turned it upside down before handing it to me was nothing spectacular, but I am not much of an ice cream person.

Ted Drewes? 'Cause that's custard, ya hoosier.  =)

Personally, I could do without gooey butter cake, or provel, but I'm a carpetbagger.

I really can't understand why the bagel thing would bother anyone (even in a tongue-in-cheek way). Meh.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife