Author Topic: Raptor Fail - Puppy dropped by hawk, rescued.  (Read 5316 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Raptor Fail - Puppy dropped by hawk, rescued.
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »
He dropped the puppy right in someone's back yard, and the pesky humans stole his lunch.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Hawk-Puppy---AAS-151632965.html

That will teach him to pick on cute, innocent little puppies. That's right, Hawk-boy. Not only does everyone know you are a big bully, but all your friends will know you can't even hunt. Have a nice life!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Raptor Fail - Puppy dropped by hawk, rescued.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
This happened about an hour from my folks' place. I've noticed in the last about two years, that the red-tailed hawk population has exploded. You see them all over the place in CA now. This year I started seeing nests on power poles along the entire drive to my folks' place, which I'd rarely seen before, and there's about a half a dozen hawks living at the park across the street from us.

Glad the little tyke wiggled his way out of the claws of death.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »
A couple years ago, I found my favorite kitty just staring into space and he had talon wounds on his shoulders.

One eye was dilated and the other not, so he must have had a brain injury - from being dropped ???

He got a huge abcess which drained from a several inch long skin break in his chest.

He recovered completely, but comes in at night now.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »
This happened about an hour from my folks' place. I've noticed in the last about two years, that the red-tailed hawk population has exploded. You see them all over the place in CA now. This year I started seeing nests on power poles along the entire drive to my folks' place, which I'd rarely seen before, and there's about a half a dozen hawks living at the park across the street from us.

Glad the little tyke wiggled his way out of the claws of death.

Same here.  LOTS more sitting atop power poles & such.  Even had one atop a light pole at work.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
I don't know the species, but we have a rather large raptor population in NoVA as well.  We also have a good Bald Eagle population. 

Chris

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
I don't know the species, but we have a rather large raptor population in NoVA as well.  We also have a good Bald Eagle population. 

Chris

Dang it and I was about to snark that the hawks are exploding in California because the windmills are killing all the bald eagles.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »

Chris

That close to D.C.? Probably not raptors. Vultures, more like.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

Chris

Lots of osprey around NoVA down through the bay too.  Always saw a *expletive deleted*it ton of them fishing.

Fistful for the win!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »
Redtails are very common around here.

We saw a great horned owl yesterday.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 05:49:18 AM »

I'm in thecity with the largest collection of second place trophies.  We have perigrine falcons downtown doing what they can to control the flying rat problem.  We have bald eales and osprey along the river - you can see their nests from some of the government buildings facing the river.  Several of the parks have resident hawk populations - last month I spent the better part of half an hour watching 2 male red-tails working out a boundary dispute.  There are barn owls where there have never been barns.  Other types of owls too, but I'm not up on what type they are.

Several parts of DC have as good, if not better habitat to support raptors.  I'd be truely amazed to find out there were none there.

And of course there are the buzzards.  They mainly congregate along the edges of The Mall eastwards from  about 16th Street NW to about 1st Street SE.  Apparently that is excellent habitat.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »
I usually root for the hawks, but not with puppies and kitties.  Yeah, I'm a softie.

We have a healthy population of red tailed hawks and cooper's hawks around here.  My wife has several bird feeders set up with plenty of black oil sunflower seed. We keep a large population of cardinals, doves, finches and other birds fat and happy. I call it "The hawk buffet."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
We saw a great horned owl yesterday.

HOW GREAT WAS IT!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:50:39 AM »

HOW GREAT WAS IT!

It was a Hoot!  :lol:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
 :facepalm:   Punny....very punny.  ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
Somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory, I seem to recall that prey-dropping was a relatively risk-free method of killing the raptor's larger prey, on which the bird could then dine without any struggles.  I know that many birds drop hard-shelled creatures like mussels and clams on rocks to break them open, but I can't seem to find anything on raptors dropping soft prey.  However, my search engine skills are not top-notch.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:48:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »
Somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory, I seem to recall that prey-dropping was a relatively risk-free method of killing their larger prey, on which the bird could then dine without any struggles. 

I thought of that, too. He definitely didn't drop it far enough.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »
I live in Kaufman county, Texas which bills itself the red tailed hawk capital. I love raptors and drive my wife absolutely crazy because I slow down and gawk at every damn last one of them. My neighbors swear that not only hawks, but hoot owls are responsible for munching on various cats and small dogs.

I work near downtown Dallas, right on the Trinity river, at a plant that has a lot of tall, perchlike places, and so see hawks at work too.  They also perch on light poles along L.B.J. in North Dallas (looking for rats in the median I suppose). You Dallasites who like raptors might like to look for that, but don't slow down while you're doing it, or you'll get rear ended.

A few weeks ago a hawk came and perched not a hundred feet from me while I was driving a loud piece of machinery. Lesson learned? Dallas Trinity river bottom hawks are not afraid of bobcats =D

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 04:21:55 AM »
I was walking Sparky one night ( fox terrier/Chi mix ) usually a brave little dog - in San Francisco - he got scared and was looking nervously at a tree, I shined my surefire and it was a huge Great Horned looking down at us.  Made me nervous he was so big.

I see huge (owls I think) birds flying at night here sometimes when driving, we also have hawks and Golden Eagles around but they seem to ignore the domestic animals

Had a huge Eagle scare the heck out of me while doing 70 near a cliff on highway 80, he zoomed past the front of the truck I was driving - I think only 6 or 7 ft away, it would have gone right thru the glass at our combined speeds.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 12:05:29 PM »
A biology professor I had in college claimed that the only documented predatory death of a grown person by a native bird in north america  was a great horned owl. A trapper in a coonskin hat.

You guessed it, owl mistook his head for a racoon. Apparently he lived long enough to tell the story, but I guess owl talons through your skull are unhealthy.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
A biology professor I had in college claimed that the only documented predatory death of a grown person by a native bird in north america  was a great horned owl. A trapper in a coonskin hat.

You guessed it, owl mistook his head for a racoon. Apparently he lived long enough to tell the story, but I guess owl talons through your skull are unhealthy.

Infection :(

Talons are infamous for septic stuff.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »
Infection :(

Talons are infamous for septic stuff.

Infection if not from brain bleeding first. What caliber are great horned owl's talons? .1? .15?

I had an almost psychedelic experience with an owl as a child. It was a large white owl in the winter in Maine, with snow on the ground, at night, with snow falling. It flew within about 15 or 20 feet of me and perched in a tree less than a hundred feet away, all without making a sound percievable to 11 or 12 year old (in other words very good) hearing. I thought my eyes were seeing a shadow because my ears were telling me a bird that big couldn't possibly be there. I have no trouble seeing where native american legend associating owls with spirits comes from. They are freakishly silent fliers.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »

No wonder I was nervous.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »
I see huge (owls I think) birds flying at night here sometimes when driving, we also have hawks and Golden Eagles around but they seem to ignore the domestic animals...

I saw a bird fly out of the road a few weeks ago as I was driving to work about 4 a.m. - could see almost nothing except that it was songbird sized and had eyes that reflected red. I think I've mentioned before that I live next door to the Texas variant of Ted Nugent. That comes in handy when I have wildlife questions..."Whippoorwill" he said.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

erictank

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 05:50:17 AM »

I see plenty of vultures, but also bald eagles, some sort of hawks, and we have ospreys overfly the water plant on a fairly-regular basis. Last week, one did so carrying a fish half its own body length. I was fairly impressed.

ETA: totally missed that joke. Don't know how, but I definitely missed it.  :facepalm: