Author Topic: Networking: Wi-Fi vs. Wired vs.?  (Read 1760 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Networking: Wi-Fi vs. Wired vs.?
« on: July 18, 2005, 01:59:15 PM »
I probably posted this before.

We need another computer in the house so my 12 yr old daughter can do her school work (and surf through Smutland of course).  I want to have the 2 computers linked so they can share the printer and, esp, the DSL connection.  The sole computer so far is downstairs at the right side of the house and her room is upstairs in the middle of the house.  I have looked at a couple of options incl Wi-Fi and some super-kewl device that networks through electrical wires already in the house (actually there are two varieties of this).
Anyone have recs for any of this?  Before answering please be sure to phrase your response so a moron could understand it--no point-to-point protocol and packets of info stuff please.
Thanks
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 03:35:43 PM »
I gotta dumb this down, huh?

Wireless = easier to install hardware, can cause some problems installing software.  You will need a card for each computer, and a router.

Wired = harder to install hardware, usually plug in the computer, though, and the software is already working fine.  Your computers probably already have a network card installed, so the only thing you have to buy is the router and cables.

If you go wired, make sure the router is capable of 10 or 100 mbps transfer.  There are some 10mbps hubs floating around, I see from time to time, which you don't want.

If you go wireless, get 54g.  Cheapest, and plenty fast for internet use.

Neither are too hard to configure the software, just go slow and follow directions.  And for sure, turn on encryption if you go with wireless.

Electrical wire networking is probably not a good idea.  From what I understand, extremely slow, and its lack of widespread use certainly limits support and equipment and drivers.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 04:10:41 PM »
I probably posted this before.
Well, yeah, but hey -- never hurts top get more opinions. Smiley
The only thing I would add is that if you decide to go wireless, be sure to review the responses in your original thread -- there was some really good advice on securing your wireless network. Some of it may sound like gobbledegook there, but it will make more sense when you look at the installation manual.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 04:16:11 PM »
Wired will be more reliable and more secure. Use wired unless you have a really good reason not to (like a laptop that moves around).

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 06:50:33 AM »
I haven't tried it myself, but a couple of acquaintances have used HomePlug (Ethernet over the existing AC wiring in your house) with good results.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »
If you go wireless, buy your wireless cards and router from the same manufacturer.  Some HW makers monkey with the standards and can cause some HW/driver incompatibility.  Best to avoid if you can.

If the signal is not strong enough, some 7dB omnidirectional antennas or a 12-15dB directional antenna can cure what ails you (most stock antennas are 2dB).

Be sure to use the most potent encryption your router and operating systems support (WPA>WEP>None).  If any of your machines use Win2K, you are stuck with WEP, as Win2K does not support WPA.

Security
In short:
1. Use encryption
2. Do not broadcast your SSID (the wireless router's "name")
3. May want to enable MAC address filtering (allow only certain machines to access your router)
4. Change your router's admin password
5. Require the use of an admin PW to administer the router

You likely will have to disable 1-3 above to get your machines up & going the first time.  After you have them humming, turn the security measures on.

FWIW, I can connect to three wireless networks from my home.  Mine is locked down.  The other two are not & I have found my wife's laptop hooked into one of the others every once in a while.  

Wired is nice, but it can be a pain to fish wires through walls.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

yci

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 04:53:27 AM »
I, personally, am not a fan of wireless, though I do see it has some benefits.  I don't have much to add beyond what others have already stated regarding the wired v. wireless.

One minor note of caution on the power-plug based connectors is that if the sockets they are plugged into are on different phases, they will not work to create the ethernet link.  Granted, this is not likely to be an issue in a house, but just something to bear in mind.

dinosaur

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 02:10:10 AM »
I have 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop both wireless. They use the same modem, email addys etc. I haven't got the slightest idea what I can do with both of them. Example. The laptop can resize pics for the net etc but the desktop can't. I can't figure out how to transfer them or even how to set up to resize on the desktop.

A friend set up my system. Unfortunately he's somewhere in Alabama setting up someone else's multi million dollar system!

I like the desktop better as it's faster, unfortunately I can't take it outside like the laptop. Some people shoudn't be allowed to own anything more complicated then a pencil!