Author Topic: School Shooting at CT Elementary School  (Read 54243 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: School Shooting at CT Elementary School
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
Suffrage hell... we should have never given them shoes!

*ducks for cover*

HEY!!!!  That's my line !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2012, 02:16:01 PM »
"A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping; Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because her children are no more."  --Jeremiah 31:15  (also Matthew 2:18)

Ran across this verse again this morning in the Christmas story.  :'(  That is all.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2012, 02:19:27 PM »
More proof that the Bible is a myth. No way they could have killed all those children without assault weapons and high capacity magazine clips.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:25:03 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
More proof that the Bible is a myth. No way they could have killed all those children without assault weapons and high capacity magazine clips.

What we need is sword control.  Only the Babylonian government should be allowed to have swords.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »
What we need is sword control.  Only the Babylonian government should be allowed to have swords.
What about ark of the covenant control?  Man portable WMD's?  Those can be stolen and sold on the black market!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #280 on: December 24, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
What about ark of the covenant control?  Man portable WMD's?  Those can be stolen and sold on the black market!

Ask the Philistines how stealing the ark worked out for them. Not pretty.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #281 on: December 24, 2012, 09:28:47 PM »
Ask the Philistines how stealing the ark worked out for them. Not pretty.

That just proves the need for more Ark control!!!!   
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #282 on: December 24, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
That just proves the need for more Ark control!!!!   

Agreed....just look at how peaceful the world has been since arks were banned....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #283 on: December 25, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »

I think I'll go write an article on "modern musketry."

I dunno how I'll structure it, but I find it hopelessly ironic that in a "thoroughly modern" society, where communications, news, and entertainment ride the very latest technologies, where the movement and markets have jet-age transportation, where the our movements, whereabouts, and conversations are now "public," privacy having been trumped by "conveniences" built into the high-tech things we buy, from cars to cell phones, the business of self defense, personal security, and resistance to tyranny are somehow supposed to be constrained to primitive devices from two centuries ago.

There's this premise that seems to have coalesced around the concept that somehow "assault weapons" are this über-modern latter day invention and just happened in the last decade or two, and that's why we've seen this sudden rash of spree shootings in gun-free zones.  "Automatic" weapons are just "too modern" and nobody "needs" anything that advanced for "legitimate" purposes.

Our "über-modern" plus-five machines of doom are based on designs that are, in most cases, over a hundred years old, with some of the more recent ones based on designs that are merely 50 and 60 years old, enhanced only by advances in metallurgy, high-strength polymers, ergonomics, and optics.  The really modern stuff is solely in the hands of the military, and costs staggering sums to build and maintain.

No, our small arms are not excessively modern and, despite the protestations that, notwithstanding that the word "musket" never once appears in the CONUS or in the BoR, the framers somehow meant for that specific piece of technology to remain frozen in time, the primitive arms permitted the common man today fall short of the original intent:  that "every terrible implement of the soldier" is "the birthright of Americans."

It is not the terrible implement which is new.

What is new is mass school/mall/church shootings.

It must be late.  My mind is starting to wander again, and I find myself reviewing the "talking points" being chanted by the usual suspects.  There is so much wrong with each of the assertions, that the only possible response to them in general is "mu" (see here for clarification on mu, or "unask").

"Why does anyone NEED a machine gun for self defense?"  --> "Mu!"  ("I reject your premise, your question is not answerable as stated."  Alternatively, "your question is broken.")

Go sleepy bye now.  Come back and read tomorrow.  Maybe rewrite, maybe expand.  Maybe delete.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2012, 11:00:28 AM »
The anti-gun folks have glorified what they call "assault weapons" to the point that yes they are the first choice of violent nutcases  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »
The anti-gun folks have glorified what they call "assault weapons" to the point that yes they are the first choice of violent nutcases  :facepalm:

So are Glock pistols. Maybe we should just simplify the new AWB and ban Glocks.

[exit, stage left]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #286 on: December 25, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »

This.

And a ban will just make it worse, elevating military-styled semi-automatic rifles as a talisman of power to these disaffected people, and the "forbidden fruit" factor many times over.
I promise not to duck.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #287 on: December 25, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »
It's always the women...  :facepalm:

The world would be a much safer place if they just banned men.

I leave it up to y'all to decide whether I'm joking or not.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #288 on: December 25, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »

"Y'all" individually, or do you want us to vote?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #289 on: December 25, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »

;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
It must be late.  My mind is starting to wander again, and I find myself reviewing the "talking points" being chanted by the usual suspects.  There is so much wrong with each of the assertions, that the only possible response to them in general is "mu" (see here for clarification on mu, or "unask").

I like it!  It seems to be related to my response, ""What does your question really mean?"
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
Newtown parents don't want the police to leave. They must be as crazy as Wayne LaPierre. 

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Newtown-parents-demand-police-presence-at-schools-4180701.php

I didn't know the Glock he had with him was a 10 mm. Probably not a cartridge that shows up in the evidence locker very often.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/18/us/connecticut-lanza-guns/index.html

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
From fisty's article:

Leidlein emphasized that what the teachers and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary did on that harrowing day was nothing less than a "heroic" act.

What did the teachers and staff do that was heroic?  I know they got shot... did they get shot attempting to combat Lanza?  Or did they just get shot?

I'm very skeptical of anyone labeling a dead person a "hero" any more in our media agenda driven world.  90% or more of those that receive this title, do not deserve it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
From fisty's article:

What did the teachers and staff do that was heroic?  I know they got shot... did they get shot attempting to combat Lanza?  Or did they just get shot?

I'm very skeptical of anyone labeling a dead person a "hero" any more in our media agenda driven world.  90% or more of those that receive this title, do not deserve it.

The principal and the school psychologist, who were the first two people killed, did try to intercept the shooter as he entered the school. Heroic, perhaps, but also dumb -- two unarmed women against a guy armed with a semi-automatic rifle. The results were predictable.

Some of the teachers did try to put themselves between the kids and the shooter. It didn't make any difference.

IMHO the hero at Sandy Hook was a janitor. I watched an interview with one of the teachers' aides. She said when she and her teacher realized they should lock the classroom door, they discovered that neither of them had the key. A custodian came through, locked the doors in that corridor, and (she said) stood guard in the corridor. He was not named, I haven't seen any reference to it other than that interview, but -- if true -- that man deserves a medal.

Found it -- it wasn't easy: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-the-record/2012/12/19/tales-heroism-sandy-hook-all-i-was-hearing-was-pop-pop-pop-pop-and-it-wasnt-stopping

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:56 PM »
According to what's been reported, some teachers and staff did attempt to confront Lanza, or physically shielded their students.

Of course, they were not terribly successful, being unarmed.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »

Well, that idea has the benefit that it would actually work.  If all men are banned, in 100 years or so all man-made violence, crime, and murder would end, along with everything else man-made.  Enacting that sort of ban might be even more difficult than banning guns.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #296 on: January 14, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »
The conspiracy nuts are are out in force.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9GxXYKx_8
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »
One of my best friends, someone I have always considered quite rational, made the suggestion that SH was staged by the govt as a stepping stone to more gun control. It was all I could do to keep my jaw from  dropping.  ;/

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
One of my best friends, someone I have always considered quite rational, made the suggestion that SH was staged by the govt as a stepping stone to more gun control. It was all I could do to keep my jaw from  dropping.  ;/
Well...if anyone had suggested back in say 2000 that the US government would facilitate the smuggling of weapons to Mexican drug cartels in order to attack the Second Amendment, what do you think your reaction would've been then?  =|
Edit; forgot this: [tinfoil]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:58:52 AM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

280plus

• friend
« Reply #299 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »
My govt smuggling weapons? yea, I can sure as hell believe that. But I'm not clear on how it was an attack on the 2nd amendment.