Author Topic: Here's one I've never seen...  (Read 4053 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Here's one I've never seen...
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:53:36 PM »
The ultimate in compact car campers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Here's one I've never seen...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:13:36 PM »
That was awesome how the car drove straight into the 5th wheel, horizontal to the trailer.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »
I wonder why some of the Japanese/Korean car companies haven't done the same thing...it's a great concept....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »
Bud Lindemann who is the talking head in that piece, used to be the race announcer at the Grand Rapids Speedrome when I was a kid.  Big Bud Lindemann.  I watched a driver chase him around the track with a wrench because ole Big Bud insulted his driving ability.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:08:13 AM »
I should be getting a bug soon. So want that camper now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:09:32 AM »
The trick is finding one. I was a senior in HS in '74 and never saw one even back then.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
that beetle was squatting down on the rear fairly far

better put some airbag shocks in the back
and make sure your roofrack has more that sheet metal screws holding it on!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
yea, my thoughts exactly, it looks like the whole rack / trailer is held on by the rain gutter:O

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
yea, my thoughts exactly, it looks like the whole rack / trailer is held on by the rain gutter:O

that was surprising.

the mobility was great, being able to back it in forwards!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 10:15:29 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
^^^ For a while, they had one of the clam-shell TAB trailers parked at the flagship REI store in downtown Seattle.  Pretty interesting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »
I saw that trailer, or one similar (maybe bigger?), about 35 years ago.

IIRC, it was called the "Shadow" but it was hitched to a full size car.  Obviously, it didn't exactly become popular.

In my experience, a VW Bug has enough trouble pulling its own self around  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 11:05:33 AM »
Chalk another one up to they don't make them like that anymore.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
I saw that trailer, or one similar (maybe bigger?), about 35 years ago.

IIRC, it was called the "Shadow" but it was hitched to a full size car.  Obviously, it didn't exactly become popular.

Amen.  Back in the heyday of the Bug, weren't the speed limits all 55?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »

Not in my experience spending 6 years behind the wheel of a 1600cc (later 1700cc) Bug.  It ran up the mtns of Western NC and SW Va without any problems at all.

Amen.  Back in the heyday of the Bug, weren't the speed limits all 55?

Maybe, but mine would cruise all day at 70mph and top out at 100 (over-sized rear tires effectively raised gearing, I don't recommend 100 in a Beetle).  Even my friend's 1200cc '65 model would maintain 60 through the SW Va mtns.  True, they aren't the Rockies, but the 1200 only had 25hp or so.

I66, I81, DC Beltway, I440 around Raleigh (all fast and heavily traveled interstates), I never lacked the necessary power to get out in front of traffic.  I did keep mine well maintained though.  Even the defrosters worked...

That said, I wouldn't try towing with a stock Beetle.  Power isn't the issue, braking is.  Front and Rear non-power assist drum brakes don't stop as well with a heavy load, much less while towing stuff.

Chris

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »
The little air-cooled engine power issues, suspension loading etc. notwithstanding...

The maneuverability was "much win"...  =D
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 01:52:49 PM »
The ultimate in compact car campers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

I've never seen that rig before.  An interesting concept, but like others, I'd have some doubts about a Beetle being able to handle things over the long haul (no pun intended).

I was a senior in HS in '74...

Dang, you're old.  Oh, wait...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 02:54:53 PM »
so how many cars can it pass in a go? :angel:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
Not in my experience spending 6 years behind the wheel of a 1600cc (later 1700cc) Bug.  It ran up the mtns of Western NC and SW Va without any problems at all.

Maybe, but mine would cruise all day at 70mph and top out at 100 (over-sized rear tires effectively raised gearing, I don't recommend 100 in a Beetle).  Even my friend's 1200cc '65 model would maintain 60 through the SW Va mtns.  True, they aren't the Rockies, but the 1200 only had 25hp or so.

I66, I81, DC Beltway, I440 around Raleigh (all fast and heavily traveled interstates), I never lacked the necessary power to get out in front of traffic.  I did keep mine well maintained though.  Even the defrosters worked...

That said, I wouldn't try towing with a stock Beetle.  Power isn't the issue, braking is.  Front and Rear non-power assist drum brakes don't stop as well with a heavy load, much less while towing stuff.

Chris

Minor quibble, but the  '60-65 1200cc was 40hp, 54-59 1200cc was 36hp, you had to go back to the 40's 1100cc to get 25hp, and those are rare. The '74 in the video I believe is 54hp. With cruise control (a brick) on level highway with no wind, my '64 with the stock motor would do 72. I agree with the brakes, mine's been upgraded to a dual piston master with 4 wheel disc brakes, of course it's got more power than stock now too; 1775cc, weber DCNF, 044 heads, 110 cam, etc ...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:13:39 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
they aren't the Rockies

And therein lies the issue  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
Um, Skip? I don't think you're getting much power out of your bug right now... :P
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
Um, Skip? I don't think you're getting much power out of your bug right now... :P

Actually, If I throw a battery and the front seat back in I could drive it away.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »
Minor quibble, but the  '60-65 1200cc was 40hp, 54-50 1200cc was 36hp, you had to go back to the 40's 1100cc to get 25hp, and those are rare. The '74 in the video I believe is 54hp. With cruise control (a brick) on level highway with no wind, my '64 with the stock motor would do 72. I agree with the brakes, mine's been upgraded to a dual piston master with 4 wheel disc brakes, of course it's got more power than stock now too; 1775cc, weber DCNF, 044 heads, 110 cam, etc ...

You're right, I'm sure.  It has been a while since I've given the subject much thought. 

Sounds like a nice ride!

And therein lies the issue  =|

Not quite the same as saying they don't have enough power to pull themselves around.  After all, my dad's Ford Ranger could barely pull itself up Black Mtn in Western NC even though my Bug had no such problems. 
Horses for courses and all that...

Chris

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
It will be when I'm done, I still need to finish the interior and bodywork.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 05:52:46 PM »
And figure out what color of Krylon you're going to use... :P
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)