Author Topic: Md. man gets 3 years for trying to buy F-14 machine gun  (Read 5465 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Md. man gets 3 years for trying to buy F-14 machine gun
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
hey, what caliber is that gun anyway?... bummer though, that would be awesome fun to shoot. FREE WAYNE!
http://www.correctionsone.com/weird-news/articles/2082527-Md-man-gets-3-years-for-trying-to-buy-F-14-machine-gun/

By Tim McGlone
The Virginian-Pilot

NORFOLK, Va. — A former museum director was sentenced Monday to three years in prison after pleading guilty in U.S. District Court to buying a rotary machine gun used on F-14 fighter jets.

Wayne Miller, 49, of Maryland, admitted that he went to Oceana Naval Air Station in 2005 and bought the machine gun from a Navy chief petty officer in charge of decommissioning aircraft.

Miller, who worked then as an executive director of the Aviation Hall of Fame in Teterboro, N.J., was planning on opening a flight simulator business.

Two others were arrested and convicted in the case, but prosecutors labeled Miller "the driving force behind the conspiracy."

Federal authorities learned that the Navy man, Matthew Sutton, was stealing Navy aircraft parts and selling them. Sutton pleaded guilty and was sentenced to six months in prison. A third person, Jody Goucher, who acted as the middle man, also pleaded guilty and was sentenced to four months in prison.

Miller's lawyer, Arenda Allen, told the court that Miller's "visions of grandeur" in creating a "super-duper" flight simulator business went awry when he began buying F-14 parts, including the machine gun and a tail fin, on the black market.

The jet-mounted machine gun, which was operational, weighs 300 pounds and can fire 6,000 rounds a minute.

Miller "never intended any harm or evil to anyone," Allen said in a court filing.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Md. man gets 3 years for trying to buy F-14 machine gun
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »
An M61 Vulcan would be fun!  Anybody have a reloading press for 20mm?   >:D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »
"Rotary machine gun"?  Is that coin freshly minted?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »
So then, uhhh... it's still available?   ;/

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »
"Rotary machine gun"?  Is that coin freshly minted?

does that mean its a gattling gun?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:17:44 AM »
hey, what caliber is that gun anyway?... bummer though, that would be awesome fun to shoot. FREE WAYNE!
http://www.correctionsone.com/weird-news/articles/2082527-Md-man-gets-3-years-for-trying-to-buy-F-14-machine-gun/

By Tim McGlone
The Virginian-Pilot

NORFOLK, Va. — A former museum director was sentenced Monday to three years in prison after pleading guilty in U.S. District Court to buying a rotary machine gun used on F-14 fighter jets.

Two others were arrested and convicted in the case, but prosecutors labeled Miller "the driving force behind the conspiracy."

Federal authorities learned that the Navy man, Matthew Sutton, was stealing Navy aircraft parts and selling them. Sutton pleaded guilty and was sentenced to six months in prison. A third person, Jody Goucher, who acted as the middle man, also pleaded guilty and was sentenced to four months in prison.

Questions:

--How can you be the "driving force behind the conspiracy" when you're the consumer, and you didn't consume all the black market parts?  And probably didn't inititate the stripping of black market parts for sale on the black market?

--Why did the guy who bought parts get 3 years, but the people who STOLE THE PARTS FROM THE GOVERNMENT while swearing an oath to defend the country only get 4 or 6 months?

You don't just put a post on Craigslist that you want to buy Tomcat machine guns.  Usually you know someone who can sell them to you and is routinely loose enough in their moral fiber that they would bend the rules to make something like that happen.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »
An M61 Vulcan would be fun!  Anybody have a reloading press for 20mm?   >:D
Use hard cast bullets for better performance.   :lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:03 AM »
Despite the rate of fire, I'm not impressed, since these 20mm M61 guns only have an effective range of 500 yards. (At least, that's what the plaque said on the F14 display aboard the U.S.S. Midway in San Diego a couple of years ago when I visited it.)

. . . --Why did the guy who bought parts get 3 years, but the people who STOLE THE PARTS FROM THE GOVERNMENT while swearing an oath to defend the country only get 4 or 6 months? . . .
A most excellent question, that.  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:40:17 AM »
plea bargains
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:17 AM »
Why did the guy who bought parts get 3 years, but the people who STOLE THE PARTS FROM THE GOVERNMENT while swearing an oath to defend the country only get 4 or 6 months?

They are probably also going to get/have been hammer(ed) under the UCMJ.  Therefore, they may currently be turning big rocks into gravel, and gravel into sand.

Uncle Sugar has no sense of humor when it comes to F-14 parts, since the Iranians have a few of them that need some parts to become operational again. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:38:55 AM »
Here's what I don't get:
What in the hell was he going to do with it?  Its not like he could conceal it under his coat and shoot up a school or something.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:47:45 AM »
Not only that, but how much is just one round for those things?  And isn't *each* round considered a DD? (paging PTK, PTK to the white courtesy phone plz.....)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 11:07:39 AM »
Not only that, but how much is just one round for those things?  And isn't *each* round considered a DD? (paging PTK, PTK to the white courtesy phone plz.....)

If the rounds are just rounds and not HE, I'd assume they are not.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
Despite the rate of fire, I'm not impressed, since these 20mm M61 guns only have an effective range of 500 yards. (At least, that's what the plaque said on the F14 display aboard the U.S.S. Midway in San Diego a couple of years ago when I visited it.)
A most excellent question, that.  ???

Effective range means, distance at which you have a chance in hell at hitting something. Not "How far the round travels with sufficient force to still be breaky-explodey on it."
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »
Justice: awesome ain't it?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
If the rounds are just rounds and not HE, I'd assume they are not.

True.  It's just the gun that fires them that's considered a DD since the bore is greater than .50 inches.  But since it's an unregisterable machine gun (or machine cannon, I suppose), that's kind of a moot point...  Although one wonders, some of those guns *were* made prior to 1986..........
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »
Not to mention that a M-61 for aircraft is going to need quite the specific mount and electrical/control connections.  It is electrically-driven, and there is no way in heck you can just mount it on a tripod and hook up a car battery and expect it to work.  I wonder just what the heck he was planning on doing with it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
Worse yet, the M61 weighs over 200 pounds unloaded. Aiming would be an issue. The projectiles weigh 3.5 ounces each, which translated to 21 pounds of ammunition just to fire  the gun for one second.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »
Worse yet, the M61 weighs over 200 pounds unloaded. Aiming would be an issue. The projectiles weigh 3.5 ounces each, which translated to 21 pounds of ammunition just to fire  the gun for one second.

So?  I have a welder and an F250.

Would make for an AWESOME technical.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 02:53:09 PM »
How would you aim the gun?

And how would your truck avoid getting flipped over while firing?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »
recoil would be problematic 
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »
The M61, like its big brother the GAU 8/A, is driven by the hydraulic system of the aircraft.  To use it in another role, you'd have to create an independent hydraulic system to go along with everything else.

Some dude I know wrote a sci-fi series that involved the theft of several GAU 8/A systems and the subsequent integration of them into a non-traditional role.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0741419858
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »
The M61, like its big brother the GAU 8/A, is driven by the hydraulic system of the aircraft.  To use it in another role, you'd have to create an independent hydraulic system to go along with everything else.

So, mount it on a bulldozer  ;)

Is there a puppy-launching accessory  ???   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »
There is an air driven version too, dunno if that is the case in the F-14 or not, but if true would be a lot easier to engineer.