Author Topic: Md. man gets 3 years for trying to buy F-14 machine gun  (Read 5466 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Md. man gets 3 years for trying to buy F-14 machine gun
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
There is an air driven version too, dunno if that is the case in the F-14 or not, but if true would be a lot easier to engineer.

Could just mount it on the front loader of a farm tractor.  They usually have two or three extra hydraulic outputs.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
Could just mount it on the front loader of a farm tractor.  They usually have two or three extra hydraulic outputs.  ;)

or on a skidder?  get a rubber stamp pf a green pu truck to marks successful "hunts"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »
Ammo is electric primed too. They used to use DU ammo for the CIWS guns, not I believe it is a saboted tungsten projectile.

My direct experience with M-61s is begging empty ammo cans off the people that operated the guns, did a few moinor repairs on bit parts too.

Despite the rate of fire, I'm not impressed, since these 20mm M61 guns only have an effective range of 500 yards. (At least, that's what the plaque said on the F14 display aboard the U.S.S. Midway in San Diego a couple of years ago when I visited it.)
A most excellent question, that.  ???

Having watched them fire in air to ground role, I am impressed. Can't shoot long, but the fire control is impressive. I would not want to be the dude on the ground.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 09:41:01 AM »
or on a skidder?  get a rubber stamp pf a green pu truck to marks successful "hunts"

Accidentally backing over one is more deniable  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
good point though when you back up and det it a second and third time it blows your story
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »
Worse yet, the M61 weighs over 200 pounds unloaded. Aiming would be an issue. The projectiles weigh 3.5 ounces each, which translated to 21 pounds of ammunition just to fire  the gun for one second.

It seems that the same force(although an order of magnitude greater) was at work that made me purchase an '80s videophone.  There is pretty much no way to make it work in its intended capacity - but it's COOL!

Can you imagine the cool factor of just having one of those in your garage? :cool: