Author Topic: Star Trek model shots  (Read 7329 times)

zahc

• friend
Star Trek model shots
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:40:34 PM »
I'm watching TOS on netflix for the first time. It's in HD and the model shots are seriously impressive. Like, I'm serious here...did they fix up star trek with modern CG like they did the old star war's movies? Because the space scenes are really amazing. I have no idea how they did that in 1966.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Star Trek model shots
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »
CBS Paramount went through TOS some years back, remastering them and replacing many of the original effects with some decent CGI.  That was around 2006 or so.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:45:36 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
yeah, they Lucased the planet killing funnel of paper into a cgi textured "improvement"
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:33:52 PM »
Mainly though it was shot on film so they still had more dpi than 1080p is capable of to work with.
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »
It's available on DVD for the serious Trekkers ---- like me. [tinfoil]
They also, in some cases, added some colorful cut in shots that added on to the episode, if only very briefly.  In "Amok Time," as Kirk & co. approach the ritual area there is a wider, sweeping panoramic shot of the place with a background of Vulcan, giving one a better appreciation of where they were.
These episodes were syndicated for awhile as well. 
Technically a vast improvement over the original, where occasionally the U.S.S. Enterprise had a transparent hull due to reflections of blue screen.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:03:09 AM »
yeah, they Lucased the planet killing funnel of paper into a cgi textured "improvement"

I need to watch that episode again. I remember watching it the first time, even as a little kid, that the planet killer stood out as one of the (if not the) weakest special effects in TOS.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »
Star Trek model shots

So, where are the models?  ??? :police:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
 :facepalm: SPACE SHIP models!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
:facepalm: SPACE SHIP models!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fail.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
Fail at WHAT?   Did Scotty steal my dilithium crystals again??? [popcorn] [tinfoil]

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 08:08:45 PM »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 11:17:23 PM »
So...this annoys me. I wanted to watch TOS, not some a lucas'd not-actually TOS reissue.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:45:09 PM »
Really, it's not THAT different.  The special effects are greatly improved but the story remains the same.  It's not like they replaced Spock with a CGI creation.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 12:39:39 AM »

I got this for my brother for his birthday.  He loved it.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/startrek/dea2/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 12:42:32 AM »
So...this annoys me. I wanted to watch TOS, not some a lucas'd not-actually TOS reissue.

They just replaced the special effects with CGI; nothing much else was done.  Orbiting planets, phaser fire, other ships in space, stuff like that.  The quality is decent, and actually adds to the show, IMO.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 12:45:17 AM »
^^^ I suppose.  But I have the TOS on DVD before the special effects were updated, and I must say I prefer it in the original.  It takes me back to actually watching Star Trek in real time in the mid-60's when it was originally aired; among my earliest memories. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 12:51:04 AM »
I just watched Star Trek (2009) on Netflix.  It was kinda weird seeing Sylar pretending to be Spock.  I was waiting for him to do that telekinesis thing and he never did.
"It's good, though..."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »
Protip:

There's some new Star Trek series in the works.
The good:
It wont continue off from that "weird" alternate timeline that the newest movie established, but instead takes place a short while after Voyager got home.

The bad:
Sounds like it could be 90210 in space.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
They just replaced the special effects with CGI; nothing much else was done.

You say it like it's no big deal. The vintage special effects are an integral part of the show, IMO. Maybe it's different for those who have seen the show before, but I can't even watch it now without wondering "what it actually looked like" all the time. I have no idea what the meddlers meddled with and what they didn't. It's censorship--well-intentioned but I hate it for the same reason.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
Censorship?  How does updating the effects amount to censorship?  Where in the heck did you get that notion?  That word does not mean what you think it means.
Kind of odd considering what you said about it in the OP.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
It's basically the same thing. It's "I'm going to tamper with this work because I think that I can improve it and I think that everyone will agree with me that my new version is better".
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 08:47:11 PM »
Protip:

There's some new Star Trek series in the works.
The good:
It wont continue off from that "weird" alternate timeline that the newest movie established, but instead takes place a short while after Voyager got home.

Now, I never did watch much Voyager.   But, wasn't it going to take 75 years to get back?  Or did they find the Deus-ex-machina magic wormhole?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
It's basically the same thing. It's "I'm going to tamper with this work because I think that I can improve it and I think that everyone will agree with me that my new version is better".

Not even close. There was no meaningful change to the program content.  Nothing was hidden for the sake of changing or obfuscating program's message.
Besides, the original works are still in circulation.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 08:56:06 PM »
You say it like it's no big deal. The vintage special effects are an integral part of the show, IMO. Maybe it's different for those who have seen the show before, but I can't even watch it now without wondering "what it actually looked like" all the time. I have no idea what the meddlers meddled with and what they didn't. It's censorship--well-intentioned but I hate it for the same reason.

The "vintage" special effects were, to put it kindly, done on a "shoestring and a prayer."  By that I mean CHEAP.   
I grew up in the '60s and have fond memories of watching the show on its original broadcast on NBC with my friends. I have a LOT of love for the show.  I still think the original series had the best ray guns in SF fandom.  Some great characters and interplay.  I didn't mind the paper maché rocks on the sets, the plain colored backgrounds that were supposedly the planet's atmosphere, and all the rest of the stuff. 
The new CGI stuff is cool.  The scratched up SFX shots of the Enterprise veering off are gone, the translucent starship is history, the new stuff is great.   

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »
I grew up in the '60s and have fond memories of watching the show on its original broadcast on NBC with my friends.

I never saw the original show. I never got to see the effects which you tell me are bad but which I have never seen because it was decided that I will like the new ones better. I would rather see the show as it was originally, untampered with. There can be no excuse for this kind of "improving" a show. There is no justification. If you want better effects, watch modern scifi. That's just the way I see it.
--Tallpine