Author Topic: Star Trek model shots  (Read 7331 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Star Trek model shots
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »
I never saw the original show. I never got to see the effects which you tell me are bad but which I have never seen because it was decided that I will like the new ones better. I would rather see the show as it was originally, untampered with. There can be no excuse for this kind of "improving" a show. There is no justification. If you want better effects, watch modern scifi. That's just the way I see it.

IMO, the "improving" of Star Trek's TOS is different than what Lucas did with the original Star Wars Special Edition re-releases.

What I think people aren't explaining very well here is that the TOS's SFX were crap, even for 1966 TV. Keep in mind (yes, a feature film, radically different budget) but 2001: A Space Odessey came out just two years later while the show was still in it's third and final season.

The poor SFX and budget TOS suffered under was a sign of how the premise of the show wasn't "believed in" by the people with the purse-strings. That's different than Lucas re-working his films which frankly still stand up very well in their original form, just because of his ego.

So in a way, the re-working of the TOS with modern CGI SFX was kind of like "righting a wrong" more than it's a matter of going overboard with ego. I agree that such re-workings are still sort of questionable, but I think the intent behind this case is more pure, and forgivable than what Lucas did to Star Wars.

I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:21 AM »
I never saw the original show. I never got to see the effects which you tell me are bad but which I have never seen because it was decided that I will like the new ones better. I would rather see the show as it was originally, untampered with. There can be no excuse for this kind of "improving" a show. There is no justification. If you want better effects, watch modern scifi. That's just the way I see it.

You can get the DVDs of the show as it originally ran.

IMO, the "improving" of Star Trek's TOS is different than what Lucas did with the original Star Wars Special Edition re-releases.

What I think people aren't explaining very well here is that the TOS's SFX were crap, even for 1966 TV. Keep in mind (yes, a feature film, radically different budget) but 2001: A Space Odessey came out just two years later while the show was still in it's third and final season.

The poor SFX and budget TOS suffered under was a sign of how the premise of the show wasn't "believed in" by the people with the purse-strings. That's different than Lucas re-working his films which frankly still stand up very well in their original form, just because of his ego.

So in a way, the re-working of the TOS with modern CGI SFX was kind of like "righting a wrong" more than it's a matter of going overboard with ego. I agree that such re-workings are still sort of questionable, but I think the intent behind this case is more pure, and forgivable than what Lucas did to Star Wars.

^^^^^^^^
That.  What he said.     Keep in mind a lot of people accepted it because what they were used to was finned cigar shaped space ships with sparks shooting out the butt end -- Buck Rogers stuff. 
But as AJ Dual said Star Trek was made on the cheapo.  Well, I said it too. 
Some pretty good SFX were available even back then but Trek just didn't have the $$$$$$$.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 01:07:14 AM »
The budget for the average TOS episode in the second season was around $185,000. That included everything, sets, props, costumes, production team, actor and crew salaries, writers fees, music, guild fees, and the El Cheapo Deluxe FX.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 02:18:21 AM »
TOS SFX was at best, standard for a sci-fi TV series.  Go watch "Lost in Space" or "Buck Rogers", "Superman" or even "Batman".  You can't compare a TV series SFX to a feature Movie's SFX.  Apples and Oranges.  The remix and CGI they put in the TOS DVD's fleshes out some of the missing elements that should have been in TOS.  It enhances the visuals without ruining or overpowering the story or storylines.   

Unlike George Lucas upgefucking Star Wars after each movie.  Notice that each one is worse than the one before, except for the first two?  That's because people who were better/smarter/controlled the money were able to tell him "No" at first, but couldn't later. So the more control George had the worse things got in the movies.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
Now, I never did watch much Voyager.   But, wasn't it going to take 75 years to get back?  Or did they find the Deus-ex-machina magic wormhole?

Quote from: Memory Alpha
A celebration was held in 2378 when Voyager made a triumphant return to the Alpha Quadrant by utilizing and then destroying a Borg transwarp hub to hurl them back to Earth. ("Endgame")
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »

I agree....the new SFX on TOS is like lipstick on a pretty woman...it just enhances the goodness that's already there...

So, where are the models?  ??? :police:

Here's my favorite ST model as of recent....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryo-GtOgi7s

....assimilation might not be such a bad thing....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.