Author Topic: High School graduation gift ideas?  (Read 3817 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
High School graduation gift ideas?
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:50:21 AM »
My nephew is graduating from high school this month.  Other than cash, what are the young whippersnappers craving these days?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: High School graduation gift ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:55:19 AM »
I think this depends on what his plans are post graduation.  A lot of kids headed off to college like gift cards for places like Bed Bath and Beyond or Barnes and Noble so they can buy supplies for dorms.  Kids headed to the military like a multi-tool or SAK.  If he's tacti-cool, maybe a Spyderco or similar blade, something that is life useful. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
I think this depends on what his plans are post graduation.  A lot of kids headed off to college like gift cards for places like Bed Bath and Beyond or Barnes and Noble so they can buy supplies for dorms.  Kids headed to the military like a multi-tool or SAK.  If he's tacti-cool, maybe a Spyderco or similar blade, something that is life useful.  

Just make sure he doesn't take it to Basic with him.

Get him something that fits into a hobby, whether it be cars, guns, music, girls, etc.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »
I think this depends on what his plans are post graduation.  A lot of kids headed off to college like gift cards for places like Bed Bath and Beyond or Barnes and Noble so they can buy supplies for dorms.  Kids headed to the military like a multi-tool or SAK.  If he's tacti-cool, maybe a Spyderco or similar blade, something that is life useful. 

Going to colledge to get edumedicated.  And a fine edumedication at that: Texas A&M.  No military plans.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:29:58 AM »
Full body armor to prevent mortarboard injuries.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »
Pocket Constitution for ammo when arguing with a liberal.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »
I, of course, can't say if this would be something your nephew would enjoy, but I'd suggest a book. Maybe a biography that includes specifically what the subject was doing at age 18, to give him some perspective of how blessed we are?

Teddy Roosevelt is a good choice.  

WWII Heroes are plentiful. (Joe Foss has an impressive autobiography, for example.)

Just a few suggestions for you.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:17:29 AM »
Would a new Corvette Z-06 be out of the question?    :rofl:

Coming back down to earth, how about a flat-panel HDTV which can also be used as a computer monitor? I'm using a 32" right now and like it a lot. (If he has the usual laptop most students use these days, he may need a docking station. But a big screen is better than ANY portable, and doubles as a TV.)

If he's in a technical field, a good scientific calculator might be appreciated. (Unless kids just use a PC, tablet, or smartphone app these days.)

Going to colledge to get edumedicated.  And a fine edumedication at that: Texas A&M.  No military plans.
Then I suppose he'll be steering clear of the Corps of Cadets.

Don't know what the college's rules are, but automatic knives were legalized in TX back in 2013 . . . would he appreciate a well made switchblade knife?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 11:35:36 AM »
If he doesn't already have one, a good sturdy back pack would be a good gift.  The best I had back then had a leather bottom.  I saw some that were all leather.  The good ones are not cheap.  The cheap back packs get torn up pretty quick hauling books and stuff around. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 11:36:13 AM »
Can you provide us with some idea of budget as well as things said young man is interested in / field of study?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 11:36:24 AM »
Why no one suggest hooked and coke?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 11:39:51 AM »
Please pass on my congratulations at getting started at Texas A&M.  I am Class of '94, College of Engineering; Mechanical Engineering.  

Another idea (depending on what is already paid for) is an all sports pass.  When I was there, you could buy that and get into any of the sports games as a student.  We had to draw tickets for the football games, but I think all the others, you could just show up with the student ID.  Attendance might be different now.  

A final idea is Fish Camp which is an orientation for incoming freshman meant to indoctrinate them with all the yells, traditions, and other stuff that makes it fun.  Good way to meet new people starting out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »
Can you provide us with some idea of budget as well as things said young man is interested in / field of study?

$200 more or less.  Pretty sure he is looking at mechanical engineering.  He played a little football in HS, into sports, girls, cars, the usual 18 year old guy stuff.  I've taken him shooting a couple of times, but I don't think he is a shooter or into guns and tactical stuff, although I do like the idea of a nice blade for him.  He is a smart kid man.  Top 5% of his class, class president, on the state student council, all around good guy.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »
Please pass on my congratulations at getting started at Texas A&M.  I am Class of '94, College of Engineering; Mechanical Engineering.  

Another idea (depending on what is already paid for) is an all sports pass.  When I was there, you could buy that and get into any of the sports games as a student.  We had to draw tickets for the football games, but I think all the others, you could just show up with the student ID.  Attendance might be different now.  

A final idea is Fish Camp which is an orientation for incoming freshman meant to indoctrinate them with all the yells, traditions, and other stuff that makes it fun.  Good way to meet new people starting out. 

Good ideas.  The 12th Man Pass is the name now.  $290 for this season.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
Everybody wants a Yeti cooler
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 11:59:24 AM »

Some of us have a Coolest. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 12:35:33 PM »
Order one with his initials on it.  They also get stolen a lot.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
Good ideas.  The 12th Man Pass is the name now.  $290 for this season.
Attending home football games is mandatory as far as experiencing student life at A&M.  Plus Midnight Yell Practice on Friday nights and such. 

barbaraterrell

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
You can go for something like Bluetooth speakers or a good pair of headphones. With the rise in technology, people are surrounded by gadgets. If he does not have one, you can surely get him a pair or affordable HD headphones, which he can use while watching movies or just listen to music in his free time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:05:11 AM by adively »

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 07:27:52 AM »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »
$200 more or less.  Pretty sure he is looking at mechanical engineering.  He played a little football in HS, into sports, girls, cars, the usual 18 year old guy stuff.  I've taken him shooting a couple of times, but I don't think he is a shooter or into guns and tactical stuff, although I do like the idea of a nice blade for him.  He is a smart kid man.  Top 5% of his class, class president, on the state student council, all around good guy.

TV is a good idea. $200 will get a 1080p set in the 32" range.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-32-class-31-5-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-roku-tv-black/4862800.p?skuId=4862800

Maybe coordinate with another relative and make it a TV / Xbox One S "congratulations" bundle? That way when WoW releases on console Unka Greg can teach him a thing or twelve about losing with dignity.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »
Pocket Constitution for ammo when arguing with a liberal.

Good idea, but make sure it contains the PREAMBLE to the Bill of Rights, which explains, in forceful, clear and unambiguous language, exactly why it was added to the Constitution:

---------------
Constitution as Ratified by the States
December 15, 1791
Preamble

Congress OF THE United States
begun and held at the City of New York, on Wednesday
the Fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.:

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.

Those articles follow this.

-----------------

Repeated for truth:

...expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added...

This Preamble seems to be missing in a lot of printed versions of the BOR.  I can't imagine why. ???

Apart from this comment, I'm not up to speed on the latest youngster craves.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »
I, of course, can't say if this would be something your nephew would enjoy, but I'd suggest a book. Maybe a biography that includes specifically what the subject was doing at age 18, to give him some perspective of how blessed we are?

Teddy Roosevelt is a good choice.  

WWII Heroes are plentiful. (Joe Foss has an impressive autobiography, for example.)

Just a few suggestions for you.

Col. Boyd's biography
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »
You guys know this thread is from last year?