Author Topic: Another school shooting  (Read 1840 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Another school shooting
« on: May 07, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
Highlands Ranch, Colorado. Just 8 miles from Columbine (which is a big thing in the news, but which in reality is just a coincidence).

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/at-least-one-victim-in-shooting-at-stem-school-highlands-ranch-authorities-say

1 student dead, 7 wounded. Two shooters in custody, both students at the school.

This is obviously fake news. School shootings can't happen, because guns aren't allowed in schools. Why would anyone print such an obviously impossible story? Sheesh! Who do they think they're fooling?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Another school shooting
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 01:08:55 AM »
https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/devon-erickson-devin/

Not sure how reliable heavy.com is, but if the article is to be believed, the adult suspect is a registered Democrat, hates (some) Christians and Trump, is pro-LGBT, claims to be addicted to pain.  The juvenile suspect is allegedly transgendered (female to male).
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 02:13:18 AM »

Not sure how reliable heavy.com is, but if the article is to be believed, the adult suspect is a registered Democrat, hates (some) Christians and Trump, is pro-LGBT, claims to be addicted to pain.  The juvenile suspect is allegedly transgendered (female to male).

So what you're saying is that it's another case of someone doing something
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 06:40:00 AM »

Not sure how reliable heavy.com is, but if the article is to be believed, the adult suspect is a registered Democrat, hates (some) Christians and Trump, is pro-LGBT, claims to be addicted to pain.  The juvenile suspect is allegedly transgendered (female to male).

One more aspect of this incident follows a now-predictable pattern: the sheriff claims that "fast action" by the police prevented further killings, and (as usuaal) it appears that this is not entirely true.

The elder Bialy also told the Times that “his son and two friends tried to tackle the gunman but one of the boys was shot in the chest.” That sort of heroism is reminiscent of the recent campus shooting at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, in which student Riley Howell tackled the shooter. He gave his life for others when he did so. In the Highlands Ranch shooting. Brendan Bialy was not shot. A woman who goes by the name Suz Perc on Twitter wrote that Kendrick Castillo saved her daughter’s life. “He and his classmate saved my daughter’s life today. Both amazing hero’s (sic), their bravery stopped more senseless tragedy. My daughter is home safe because of his sacrifice. True hero’s,” she wrote.

In fact, it appears that two or three brave students took on the shooter, and one of them was killed as a result. I wonder how long the "only the police can help you" narrative will go on, depriving these brave students of credit for their significant part in keeping the death toll down.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:59:20 AM by Hawkmoon »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 08:11:27 AM »
As a former teacher of mine always says, the only thing that stops an active shooter is tactical pressure.  The source doesn't matter - police, passerby, or intended victim.  As far as this case, I don't yet know the extent to which sources of tactical pressure stopped each of the participants.  Did the student tackling end the shooting for good?

Spurlock said the suspects walked into the building, "got deep inside the school" and shot at students at two separate locations. The shooting was reported shortly before 2 p.m., and deputies arrived about two minutes later and engaged the suspects, taking them into custody, Spurlock said.
If the this is to be believed, that's an incredible response time and the police likely do deserve credit for saving lives through their quick response.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »
That quick response might be why there are several wounded instead of more dead as well.  Emergency medical was likely right behind them instead of waiting outside.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »
I have a hard time believing that response time, unless there was a cop inside the school who heard the gun fire as it happened.

2 minute response?  It takes longer than that to get through the 911 question list.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »
I haven't seen any of the articles so just speculation:  Could be a local school officer that responded that quick or someone saw them before the shooting started and called police. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 01:23:06 PM »
According to one article, the school has one armed security officer on campus.  Don't know if that officer made the call.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 02:08:27 PM »
The school has "security," but no school resource officer(s). There is a police substation a block away from the school.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »
Side note:

Interesting conversation today with my liberal and pro gun control* boss because of this. She now firmly supports the idea of teachers being armed if they want. It seems that the fact that teachers and students who try to stop these shooters end up dying as hero's instead of surviving as hero's has gotten to her.

*I'm going to start using this some, instead of anti gun for people who are starting to see the light, as it were.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 09:30:35 PM »
Side note:

Interesting conversation today with my liberal and pro gun control* boss because of this. She now firmly supports the idea of teachers being armed if they want. It seems that the fact that teachers and students who try to stop these shooters end up dying as hero's instead of surviving as hero's has gotten to her.

Well, Jason Seaman didn't die. He was "only" shot three times while playing hero.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/26/teacher-who-confronted-indiana-school-shooter-lauded-as-hero/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »
It is great to see these people get publicity who fought back.  I like the idea of that example getting into the minds of students rather than hiding under their desk. 

I know the bucket of rocks idea was blasted on the internet last year, but at least the idea behind it was to fight back.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 09:42:15 AM »
Wow - somewhat of a different response by students than at a couple of previous events. Good for them for logical and independent thought.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/05/09/gun-control-group-brady-apologizes-to-students-at-stem-school-highlands-ranch-for-politicizing-vigil/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 10:35:13 AM »
Wow - somewhat of a different response by students than at a couple of previous events. Good for them for logical and independent thought.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/05/09/gun-control-group-brady-apologizes-to-students-at-stem-school-highlands-ranch-for-politicizing-vigil/

Wow indeed:

Gun control org @bradybuzz apologizes for #STEMshooting vigil. Students walked out saying their grief was being politicized. "We are deeply sorry any part of this vigil did not provide the support, caring & sense of community we sought to foster and facilitate" #9NEWS #copolitics pic.twitter.com/NHD6EaekXg

Color me skeptical but I very much doubt that "support, caring & sense of community" were even on their radar in organizing the event.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 02:23:17 PM »
Of course not.  Their goal, as always, is to exploit tragedy for political gain.

Good on the students for not tolerating the exploitation.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »
I have a funny feeling that the school/school district is going to be coming down on those kids like a ton of freaking bricks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 03:02:31 PM »
I have a funny feeling that the school/school district is going to be coming down on those kids like a ton of freaking bricks.

Can't have students not following the narrative
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »

It is a STEM school after all . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »

The parents should be coming down on the school administrators like a metric tonne of bricks for allowing the political carrion to even set foot on school property.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 07:49:34 PM »
Take with a grain of salt at this point

Shortly after a deputy rushed into Highlands Ranch Colorado STEM school Tuesday afternoon in response to an active shooter, he ran back out of the school and told his superior the school security guard had fired at him, a high-ranking source close to the investigation told Denver7.

ABC News first reported that investigators were trying to figure out how and why the security guard had fired at the deputy, and whether it was a mistake. A high-ranking source has confirmed this to Denver7. Authorities are also investigating if the guard accidentally shot an innocent student as the scene unfolded Tuesday. …

A second high-ranking source said video surveillance from the school doesn’t show who was struck by the gunfire. They told Denver7 that investigators have learned the gunmen were in two different rooms and the security guard only knew where one of them were (sic). The guard may not have known who was arriving to help, who was a suspect and who was an innocent student, the source said. The guard may have shot two rounds near SWAT teams.

STEM School Security Guard Fired His Weapon During Shooting, Possibly at Deputies
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/05/daniel-zimmerman/stem-school-security-guard-fired-his-weapon-during-shooting-possibly-at-deputies/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »
Home school if at all possible is the correct answer.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 10:10:46 PM »
But I thought friendly fire incidents could only happen if they let stupid, untrained civilians have guns.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 12:22:51 AM »
But I thought friendly fire incidents could only happen if they let stupid, untrained civilians have guns.

You mean like security guards?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 05:48:59 AM »
You mean like security guards?

And cops?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?