Author Topic: GMRS Radios  (Read 702 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
GMRS Radios
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »
I want to install a repeater in my truck for my GMRS radios.  I have my ZA FCC license and call sign registration.

The radios I have are Cobra Microtalk model PR-5000.  They are FRS/GMRS combo radios.

To use a repeater, you have to program your radio to transmit on a different frequency than it receives.  I think most people configure the TX to be RX + 5Mhz, correct?  Can I do that with these cheap little radios?

Or... can I find a repeater that will TX on the same freq that it RX's on... or will it kill itself with a feedback loop doing that?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: GMRS Radios
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
To use a repeater, you have to program your radio to transmit on a different frequency than it receives.  I think most people configure the TX to be RX + 5Mhz, correct?  Can I do that with these cheap little radios?

If you can, it would be in the manual. 

Or... can I find a repeater that will TX on the same freq that it RX's on... or will it kill itself with a feedback loop doing that?

There are "simplex" repeaters that don't use an offset, but I've never used one.  My experience with repeaters is mainly through amateur radio, not GMRS.

Chris