Author Topic: Generator help-Brand specific.  (Read 6672 times)

Bob F.

• friend
Generator help-Brand specific.
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »
OK, gang, expert opinions needed! Got a little extra $$. Have threatened for yrs to buy a generator. Power failures here area actually pretty rare but can last a couple days to a week. Only interested in running a pellet stove, fridge and a couple lights. Lowes has several in the 3500 watt range. Any opinions on Champion, Generec (sp?), etc?

Also have a cheap wood stove in basement, etc. Know about gas avail problem and all that. Just interested in if any generators to avoid. I know Honda's are great but PRICEY!!!

Have a guy in the next county that rebuilts generator and such. Says you can tell how good they are by starting a circular saw, shouldn't lug down. Would I be better off buying a rebuilt for a lot less $$?

Thanks.
bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Lee

• friend
Re: Generator help-Brand specific.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
I bought a Troy Bilt a few years ago from Lowes.  I've never really needed it.  But I do change the oil once a year, and start it up about twice a year and let it run for 15 minutes (or until the gas burns up).  It starts easily every time, and runs great.  Much more noisy than the Honda...but a hell of a lot less.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:52:08 PM »
Much more noisy than the Honda...but a hell of a lot less.

This is the case with almost any non-Honda generator.  Those are the best, but unless you're a contractor who uses it on a job site every day, it's overkill.  A lesser brand will do just fine for occasional emergency power.

I have a Coleman Powermate with a Briggs engine.  It's loud, but I've used it many, many times without any trouble.  It's about seven years old.

That's the only generator I've ever owned, but I have other power equipment with Generac engines.  They are solid workhorses, and are definitely a step or two above a Briggs.

My only specific advice is to avoid the Chinese knock-offs. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:52:11 PM »
the best advice I've got about generators actually came to me in the form of a series of questions:

When do you change the oil in your car?
Every 3000 miles, give or take.

Okay, how often does that wind up being?
Every few months.

What if you got in your car on an endless stretch of road with no speed limit, and had all the gas you need, how long would it take before you went 3000 miles?
Umm, 24 hours?

Right.  How often should you change the oil in your generator during a multi-day power outage?
Once a day?

Good idea. When should you stock up on oil for your generator?  Before or after the power goes out?
Right now?

Well done, grasshopper.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
Just look at the RPM's that it runs at.
It will either be 1800, or 3600.
The 1800 rpm requires twice the amount of poles in the generator. (costs more to make) The poles are a given number to maintain the 60 hz. The 1800 rpm machines will always run quieter. Last longer etc.
I'm not sure what the hondas run at.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »
Right.  How often should you change the oil in your generator during a multi-day power outage?
Once a day?

Good idea. When should you stock up on oil for your generator?  Before or after the power goes out?
Right now?

Well done, grasshopper.

Good call.  I keep a couple of cases of motor oil handy at all times.  I've only needed my generator once for a power outage, and at that only 8 hours.  Otherwise I've only used it to power my camper on my hunting land, usually no more than a couple of hours.

I change the oil after each outing.  My engine only takes 1 quart, so that is cheap insurance.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
i've got a 5k 6500 surge 400 dollar deal from lowes  had it since before y2k.  stored outside under a piece of plywood  has got a couple hundred hours at a friends house after isabel and another couple hundred on job sites  starts good runs good.  i run it dry on gas  keep it full with stabil.  in winter it takes a shot of ether to start her. a lil loud
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:08:24 PM »
How about stretching that oil change to once or twice a week if you use full synthetic?  (I don't know, I'm just asking)

I would like to have one of those 600 or 800 rpm diesel engines (Lister, etc) rigged up to a generator.  But my wife would kill me if I bought something like that -- not because of the expense but because it takes up so much room and is too heavy to move.

Currently I have a Yamaha 2400W inverter/generator (like a Honda but just a little bigger) and I've never actually had to use it for a power outage.  I start it up and run it a bit every 2 or 3 months.
"It's good, though..."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »
don't click this link don't click this link don't click this link don't click this link don't click this link

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/pickperfectstandby3a.php, sorry. but i had to do it. knowing what is available is always the most important thing to me. and well this is available. =| not cheap though. :facepalm:

oh and this is not a recommendation for the linked site, it just had the info typed up nice and i could find it. =)

edit:GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, tell it emergency standby (no AC) to see some sane systems.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »
I have a Generac in my travel trailer and an Onan in my motor home.  Both have been trouble free.  But, I admit, I don't use them that much.  It is nice to know they are there when needed...chris3

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
After being without power for 56 hours during this winter's snows, I'm seriously considering getting an automatic standby generator for the BrokenHouse.

If I already had the generator in-hand, what should I expect to pay an electrician to install it properly?  The automagic cutout panel and that sort of thing is beyond my ken, and I'm not about to fry a lineman because I didn't isolate from the exterior feed correctly.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 01:16:13 PM »
Have you thought about propane or natural gas to power the generator?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 01:25:35 PM »
I've got a NorthStar generator with Honda power.  You get the dependable quieter Honda engine and not have to pay the big Honda price.

Dont forget to install another breaker box with a switch that will isolate your house from outside power.  That way you won't backfeed and injure a power employee.  Transfer ALL of your circuits.   Most people only transfer the circuits they think they will need.  Do 'em all. That way you can easily pick and choose where you want power from the generator when you want it. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 01:36:16 PM »
I have a Champion 3500 watt/4000 peak which we use repeatedly at the Shooter retreat.  We have had it 2 years and the recoil start went belly up soon after we got it.  I just use a piece of rope and wind it around the wheel to start it. One of these days I will get around to ordering the replacement.  It will run the travel trailer just fine when we need it.  I also use it to power my compressor and large power tools.  If the compressor comes on when I am running either the table saw or compound miter saw, it will lug some.

Recently I bought a small generator from Harbor Freight (go ahead and laugh).  It is only 800w/900w peak, and we bought it to use with the motor home.  We use it to power any of my hand electric tools, as well as the table saw or miter saw for quick cuts.  It will bog cutting metal roofing if I go too fast.

The best part is it will power both of our laptops and the modem for Wild Blue internet service, as well as the Netgear wireless modem.  Yup, we have the net in the middle of nowhere courtesy of Wild Blue.

I can pick the little one up and take it anywhere I want to use a tool.  Way to go for us.

Only word of caution I can give is to get one stronger than you think you need.  5,000 to 6,000 would be ideal.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
I picked up a rebuilt Multiquip three phase unit about five years ago for $150.00. ;)

It's a little heavy and a little noisy but it always works and I couldn't bet the price.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
Craig's list has a lot of very good deals.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »
After being without power for 56 hours during this winter's snows, I'm seriously considering getting an automatic standby generator for the BrokenHouse.

If I already had the generator in-hand, what should I expect to pay an electrician to install it properly?  The automagic cutout panel and that sort of thing is beyond my ken, and I'm not about to fry a lineman because I didn't isolate from the exterior feed correctly.

try southern states they have generator deals in different sizes and its a package all inclusive  or try this  http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm   lets you be portable if you need to move it or use it away from house
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 11:19:42 PM »
Craig's list has a lot of very good deals.

This is correct.

I grabbed my generator from CL for $300.  It's a 5600W craftsman with a 10HP Briggs and Stratton engine.  Thing looked new, and even had an information tag attached to it.  The guy said they bought it a year ago, ran it for 4 hours, changed the oil and put it in storage.  I believed it.  Runs like a champ, starts easy.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »

I assume you're referring to a fixed placement whole-house generator, if you want an automatic cutover.

$2k, give or take quite a bit, to wire it from the unit to your panel, add the cutout, add breakers, etc.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »
hmm, so 6-8k would do a basic whole house freezer, lights, and tv, and just maybe computer set up. interesting  =D

darius

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »

I disconnect my furnaces from the grid power and connect them to the generator.  For lighting and powering the fridges I either pop a circuit breaker or hook them up directly. I have made some cheater cords with males plugs on each end so I can plug into a wall outlet and use it for a bus.  You gotta pop the breaker though, and get the cheater wired up right or it will kill you generator righ quick.

I have one made by Briggs, a 10hp that will run 13 hrs on 7 gallon of gasoline. I is about 5500 watts or so, cannot remember.  The motor is gutsy because when the furnaces start up the engine doesn't even surge. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »
I disconnect my furnaces from the grid power and connect them to the generator.  For lighting and powering the fridges I either pop a circuit breaker or hook them up directly. I have made some cheater cords with males plugs on each end so I can plug into a wall outlet and use it for a bus.  You gotta pop the breaker though, and get the cheater wired up right or it will kill you generator righ quick.

I have one made by Briggs, a 10hp that will run 13 hrs on 7 gallon of gasoline. I is about 5500 watts or so, cannot remember.  The motor is gutsy because when the furnaces start up the engine doesn't even surge.  

Yikes!

I would throw the main if I were you.  Get the wrong breaker and  you're gotta feed everything between the transformer and the generator.  The neighbor's house, for example.
Charles Babbage

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
I was looking at a Cabela's sale paper today.  They have a couple of new Generac small generators. The larger one is 2000W, weighs about 40 or 50 pounds, and is less than $550.  Much cheaper than a Honda.  (inverter-type gensets vary the engine speed with the load; they dont have to keep it at 3600 rpm)
"It's good, though..."