Author Topic: French train hero gets cut again  (Read 2927 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
French train hero gets cut again
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:52:24 PM »
Just like it says on the tin, he got stabbed pretty good in California, during an altercation with some folks outside a bar.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2480487/spencer-stone-stabbed-cheats-death-french-train-hero-escapes-terrorist-attack-and-alcohol-related-stabbing/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

tokugawa

• friend
Re: French train hero gets cut again
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 01:38:21 AM »
Just a coincidence I'm sure. Just like the Roseburg shooter targeting Alex Skarlatos school.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:35:36 AM »
Nothing good ever happens outside a bar at 1AM.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
Now they're saying it was a routine bar fight with Asians, which explains the cutting.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »
Now they're saying it was a routine bar fight with Asians, which explains the cutting.

Surprisingly I would have expected the cutting from another ethnic group. When I worked at an ER in downtown San Jose, CA we had Asians on one side and Hispanics on the other. From the Hispanic side we would get predominately knife and blunt object wounds and from the Asian side we would get gun shot wounds. Maybe the Asians have gotten tired of the 10 day waiting period in CA and have taken up sharp objects. ;)

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:45:28 AM »
Why I stay the hell away from bars most of the time
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »
Just a case of recreational violence. Like workplace violence, but different.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
Why I stay the hell away from bars most of the time

Just got to be picky about which bars to visit.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »
My immediate thought when I read it was a bar fight...wonder if someone recognized him, and called him out, challenged his courage or toughness.  Seen lots of stupid six beer super heroes pick fights with people trying to prove their balls aren't pea-sized and made of jello.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
My immediate thought when I read it was a bar fight...wonder if someone recognized him, and called him out, challenged his courage or toughness.  Seen lots of stupid six beer super heroes pick fights with people trying to prove their balls aren't pea-sized and made of jello.
When I was in the Navy and recovering from knee surgery I and 2 friends were out at a bar. At 6'1" and 220 lbs, I was the small one in the group. Well, my friends and I were known to be "somewhat rowdy" and as we are there sitting there minding our business some woman runs in and yells "so-and-so is outside and say's he's gonna kick the ass of the next person coming out the door!" We looked at each other, smiled and walked out (I gimped with my cane and cast encased leg) and surprise! No one wanted to "play."  >:D
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »
I don't know a thing about statistics, or how to calculate this- but to just hazard a WAG, the odds that one of three people in the world who stopped an attack on a French train, would be attacked themselves a few days after one of the other three people in the worlds school (where he was supposed to be that day) was attacked must be vanishingly small. I hope the third guy is watching his six. As well as the other two.
 I mean, just the chances of Scarlotos school being the subject of a mass shooting is infinitesimal.

Plus-

My belief is the "authorities" would not  admit it even if they knew for sure it was a jihadi revenge. There have been many instances of SJS that have been covered up.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »
Maybe he bought the "captain america" hype about his self, saw someone in trouble and decided to help. Then proceeded the get his arse handed to him.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »
Maybe he bought the "captain america" hype about his self, saw someone in trouble and decided to help. Then proceeded the get his arse handed to him.

Seems possible from the video.

Getting into any kind of bar fight after you've just been an international news star is bad decision making
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 12:40:18 PM »
More like getting into ANY bar fight AT ALL is bad decision making.

This isn't the 40s or 50s. 

Some people really CAN'T take a whuppin' and will resort to any weapon they can, no matter what it is.

And usually, bar fights are over just the stupidest damned thing ever anyway, so anyone who can think with the slightest bit of logic will see that it's not worth it.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
More like getting into ANY bar fight AT ALL is bad decision making.

This isn't the 40s or 50s. 

Some people really CAN'T take a whuppin' and will resort to any weapon they can, no matter what it is.

And usually, bar fights are over just the stupidest damned thing ever anyway, so anyone who can think with the slightest bit of logic will see that it's not worth it.

Not to mention the old saying about, "There's no winners in a knife fight." I can no longer remember the link, but years ago I read a good article by a defense instructor (who taught knives as well as firearms) as to why knife fights are a really bad idea. The photos he included made it hit home.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
So Stone started a fight now?  ???  I mean, it's also stupid to get into a gunfight with your bare hands, but no one criticized him for that.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 08:17:29 PM »
So Stone started a fight now?  ???  I mean, it's also stupid to get into a gunfight with your bare hands, but no one criticized him for that.

Who said he started it?  He obviously participated once it was going though - see video.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 08:38:23 PM »
The report I read a day or two ago said that he was defending a lady friend of his. Whether that's true or not, some seem to be jumping to the conclusion that he had no good reason to get involved.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 08:46:02 AM »
The report I read a day or two ago said that he was defending a lady friend of his. Whether that's true or not, some seem to be jumping to the conclusion that he had no good reason to get involved.

Was this lady friend under physical attack?

Sometimes the best answer to crude, rude, insulting behavior is to walk away.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »
My problem was, as my brother described it, "he will fight at the drop of a hat... and he will drop his own hat!"

I'm doing MUCH better now...

PS: In the mid 70's we didn't shoot/stab people near as much.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »
Was this lady friend under physical attack?

Sometimes the best answer to crude, rude, insulting behavior is to walk away.

stay safe.

Exactly.  Unless somebody was getting hands on with his lady or himself getting into a fracas in a bar is a stupid idea.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 11:36:37 AM »
Exactly.  Unless somebody was getting hands on with his lady or himself getting into a fracas in a bar is a stupid idea.

That was how I took it. It would be consistent with the whole terrorist-tackling thing, so...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/train-hero-recovering-after-california-stabbing-in-good-spirits/ar-AAfhXsn?ocid=ansmsnnews11

According to the above, he intervened when a man punched his girlfriend in the face. A risky situation to get between, obviously, but I won't question his judgment on getting involved. Don't we complain about people just standing there while criminals victimize people? Not that she was being Kitty Genovesed to death, exactly, but the principle would seem to apply.

I will grant that his methods appear to have been lacking...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »
My problem was, as my brother described it, "he will fight at the drop of a hat... and he will drop his own hat!"

I'm doing MUCH better now...

PS: In the mid 70's we didn't shoot/stab people near as much.

Aren't aggravated assault and homicide at a lower rate now than in the '70s?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »

Aren't aggravated assault and homicide at a lower rate now than in the '70s?

Possibly. Still, at that time most fights were settled with fists and one-on-one unless ya were in certain areas and I stayed out of those areas (as much as I possibly could). When I started carrying a gun, I avoided fights as much as I possibly could. That doesn't mean I wouldn't defend me or mine, I just went to my hands and strength first. The gun was only there for when my/mine's life was threatened.
MOLON LABE!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.